2018 RTR disabled/ chronic illness meet and greet?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanch

Reaction score
Would any of my fellow nomads who travel with chronic illness or disabilities like to do a meet and greet at the RTR to swap ideas on traveling while dealing with medical issues? Maybe a potluck that could be held at my TT one evening. Something like that. Any interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blanch said:
Would any of my fellow nomads who travel with chronic illness or disabilities like to do a meet and greet at the RTR to swap ideas on traveling while dealing with medical issues? Maybe a potluck that could be held at my TT one evening. Something like that. Any interest?

Count me in!

I'm interested, Blanch! I think I'm going to miss the first few days of the RTR, though, as I'll still be traveling in from Missouri.

I'm thinking mid week, after the weekend population surge.

Last year a couple of people arranged for various 'meet and greet' group specific events.

Someone built a message board and set it up near the seminar/main campfire area so that people could post notices.

There were also a couple of signs put up nearer to their camp so people knew they were in the right place.

Each morning at morning seminar Bob makes time available for announcements and every one is invited to stand up if they have an announcement to make.

This was all done on an impromptu basis by individuals, no official sanction needed at all.

Yeah, I was there last year. This year I am actually going to be friendly and meet some more people. I liked the message board, that was a great idea!

Is this going to be one of those Women Only events, or will anyone with a disability / cronic illness be welcome?

Reno said:
Is this going to be one of those Women Only events, or will anyone with a disability / cronic illness be welcome?

Everyone is welcome.

wagoneer said:
Does emotional disability count?

I think everyone has one of those! The more the merrier? No serial killers, we have to draw a line somewhere!

Blanch said:
I think everyone has one of those! The more the merrier? No serial killers, we have to draw a line somewhere!

Aw, shucks, Blanch! Couldn't you make an exception for a first-timer?

Blanch said:

I would be very interested.  One of the things holding me up has been my fear that I might not be able to do it due to illness.  I can't be part of a potluck, due to multiple food allergies, but would gladly bring my own meal and love to eat with the others. Thanks

Yes. Finding a specific location can be confusing - it’s the white van by the arroyo over that way.

I highly recommend What3Words for that, works on all platforms.

And on Android, Navmii for offline navigation using that system.

This year we will assign all the "streets" colors and put up signs. Should make finding each other much easier!!

akrvbob said:
This year we will assign all the "streets" colors and put up signs. Should make finding each other much easier!!

And I am not in a white van, so I will be easier to find. LOL.

Pencil me in, I can not say when I'll be there but I will be there hopefully from the start of the RTR after my trip to Mexico.

I'm definitely interested! I'm permanently disabled since 2011 with an autoimmune illness. At the worst I was practically bedridden for two years and couldn't drive. I've been on the road since June of this year and there have been times it was really a challenge. Would love to connect with others who have been successfully working around disability! I think this lifestyle has been good for my health, I sleep better and being close to nature is healing.

Thanks!

Mary Ellen

DLTooley said:
Yes. Finding a specific location can be confusing - it’s the white van by the arroyo over that way.

For those of us who have never been there--??? Aren't there many white vans? And is there only one arroyo? Thanks for clarification.