2017 RTR in Quartzsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mayble said:
I really, really want to.  I arranged for time off from work but am having second thoughts, partly because of my dog.  He does not like other dogs so even tho he's always on a leash, with all the other dogs running loose we couldn't hang out with the tribe.
So a 5000 mile road trip to spend a few days in AZ, and a few hours actually at the RTR, is looking less like a good idea.  I'll probably have to wait until I retire, but hopefully that won't be too long.

Not sure if this would apply to your dog, but my dog is leash reactive meaning that if he is on a leash he hates other dogs and goes ballistic when he sees another dog.  You'd think he wanted to tear it's throat out the way he growls.  Quite scary.  But this same menacing dog, if you take him off the leash is quite happy with the same dogs he would have growled at before.  Quartzsite was a godsend for him because I was finally able to see the dog he really is and not the dog he had been made to be.  

All that said, I have worked with him a lot on his leash reactivity and he is to the point where he whines and quivers when he sees another dog, but if I redirect quickly enough he will not go into full blown menacing dog mode.  Sometimes its a crap shoot and if I thought he were like that off leash as well I would also be reluctant to go anywhere there were other dogs.  Just something to think about.  Oh and it helps that my dog, Kili, wants to be with me all the time so he'd never run off just because.  So I don't worry as much with him off leash since he is more worried that I will leave him.

Oh, I did not think about there would be off leash dogs at the RTR.  I think we will pass then.  I have had too many encounters with "my cute little pitt bull never usually attacks anyone".   Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but on my terms, not their owners.

Woohooo!  Can't wait to be with my peeps! !!!

Tracy and Nishan (and sometimes Ruwan)

I'm one who believes in dogs being leashed in social situations...both for their safty and others. You can never tell what's  going to set them off and cause a problem.

At one time I had a very large dog on a leash who was attacked and I stood there and watch as the other one had his throat ripped open. I wasn't about to get in the middle of it.
The owner called the cops and was the one who got ticketed for no leash and some other charge I have forgotten.

I have also seen loose dogs in camp destroy tents, get into peoplesfood, and steal stuff.

Sorry if y'all don't agree but the fault is on the unleashed dog/owner if bad shit happens.

Hi! My son and I really want to go. It would be our first time there. Is it going to cost money for a permit, or has that already been taken care of?  That part confuses me. ?

We are new too, Bleep. My son and I really want o get to know as many people as we can and hopefully camp with others when we can. ?

bLEEp said:
I hope we can make it you guys.  I am not a super social guy; however, I love to listen and learn.
Even if the lady and I have to sleep in sleeping bags I really really want to meet you folks.
bLEE
Hi. My son and I are just getting started, very part time, getting used to van life. It's more of a bug out practice for us both, but once we get our travel trailer, we'll be more full time. Really looking forward to going this year to meet as many people as we can and learn what we can from them.

I plan on coming to meet a few people and say "Hello" but will park away from the crowd as I use my generator a lot. The loose dogs does worry me as I have a cat that is on a ten foot lead and secure holster type restraint. I can envision way too many hurt or hard feelings if someone's animal were to be hurt.

I had considered offering some instruction the care and cleaning of weapons as well as basic self defense using different weapons. Anything I would try and show people would not necessarily apply to your specific laws in different states, there are too many and I don't want to steer anyone wrong.

If interested let me know , Rob

Adepastino...there is no cost to attend RTR. Camping is free, jut bring your own food, water, and anything you need personally.
But I can tell you that you will leave with a wealth of info and lots of new friends. Well worth the adventure.

Gunny...Sometimes (eventho it may not be a scheduled seminar), groups will form up for these kind of activities. Just make an announcement at the daily circle.

the permit you need is free. you can get it when you get there.
you can camp as close or as far away from everyone as you want.
the dogs really are not a problem.
great for educational purposes and meeting great people.
I encourage everyone to come, it's a great experience.
highdesertranger

IGBT said:
Oh, I did not think about there would be off leash dogs at the RTR.  I think we will pass then.  I have had too many encounters with "my cute little pitt bull never usually attacks anyone".   Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but on my terms, not their owners.

What do you do with all the off leash dogs where you live now?

becida said:
What do you do with all the off leash dogs where you live now?

So far we have not really camped anywhere that off leash dogs are allowed or were present.   Either we are in a camping area where it says all dogs must be leashed or we are boondocking where we have no neighbors.

I carry pepper spray and a .357 but have not had to use either yet.

No need to worry about the free permits, none at all.  It's not an issue.

From what I recall from last year loose dogs were not a problem. I heard of no coyotes in the camp during the RTR.

I bought water from the machines in town (25 or 30 cents a gallon). This was my usual reason for going into town. If I wanted ice, someone was always going in & would pick me up a bag.

I took a shower ($8) at the laundromat on Main street when I did my laundry. The rest of the time it was wet wipes or warm soap-n-water in my van.

All kinds of friendly people at the RTR & everyone is willing to answer questions & help.

There are an amazing number of ways to do a van for vandwelling judging by the number of different ways I saw vans done.

Quartzsite has almost anything you need for sale somewhere.

At the big tent RV show there were several booths hiring workcampers for the summer. People DID get jobs while they were there.

I found more than one camp chair to be really useful.

I made a number of great friends there, one of the reasons to go back again.

IGBT said:
So far we have not really camped anywhere that off leash dogs are allowed or were present.   Either we are in a camping area where it says all dogs must be leashed or we are boondocking where we have no neighbors.

I carry pepper spray and a .357 but have not had to use either yet.

I meant where you are living right now. It sounds like you have a problem with loose dogs and I figured what you are doing now ought to work at the RTR.
If I'm way off base with this my apologies & feel free to drop it.

We plan on being there. This will be our first RTR and our first time in Quartzsite. We can't wait to meet everyone and make new friends!
Peace and blessings everyone!

There's a good chance I'll be there :-D

I would like so much to be able to come.  I don't know how long it takes to get from Washington state to Quartzsite in a slow vehicle though.  I'll make a slowish beeline there, I guess!
Parker

I've tried to get there for three years. I will be there this year.

Caryn