2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your project is coming along nicely.

For those who may come this way (as others have shared) on the reflectix, there is a real simple way to get an air gap between the inner van wall and the first layer of reflectix...grab some inexpensive mailing bubble wrap from your local Lowes/Home Depot. We began with a layer of the 1" bubble wrap, then reflectix, then 1/2" bubble wrap, reflectix, and a mylar (think space blanket) vapor wrap, then we covered all that with a nice marine grade hull liner. Three years later and the van is just as cozy and nice looking (and quiet!!) as the first weekend of camping.

One nice thing about your build? You've got a lot less to cover!!
during ours...
TGL_interiorInsulation.JPG

On the reflectix use on the outside of the ice cooler...we have two wraps on our two Engle Deep Blue ice boxes. In our typical Pacific Northwest summer mid 70's temps...Stock interior(s) stayed ~38 to 40 degrees for ~5 to 7 days. When we added the reflectix we now see ~33 to 35 degrees for 7 to 9 days. And THAT is why i might just stick with an ice cooler rather than doodling with solar/battery bank to power an ~$800 Engle or ARB 12v fridge. We've got to go back into town for food once a week anyway...why not through in some more ice!?

Cheers,
Thom

Thanks Thom! Very nice. Now that I finished I thought I could've used foam spacers against the wall to give it the air gap needed. Oh well, too late now.

Last few days working in Jersey got a little hot and humid. I purchased two different fans yesterday, an O2 cool 5" fan, and a Honeywell 10"? Which really helped but, today I decided to build my own AC unit.
Using a 25 quart Igloo cooler, a 5" O2 cool fan, and a 3" PVC elbow.
I've seen these on YouTube and they seem to really work. I won't use mine (if it works) much, just on real hot and muggy days.
my4uhebu.jpg

ydara6av.jpg

ypemegy4.jpg

jaze7y5e.jpg

ety8yhy7.jpg

u7adupep.jpg

The problem with the 'swamp coolers' is they aren't very efficient in muggy high humidity weather. In the Southwest dry heat they work better.

LeeRevell said:
The problem with the 'swamp coolers' is they aren't very efficient in muggy high humidity weather. In the Southwest dry heat they work better.

I understand I'm not building a powered AC unit, just something that will blow some cool air for a couple hours. I've been surviving in some hot and humid weather with the front windows cracked down just 2 or 3 inches, so if I can make it nicer for a few hours the better.
Thank you for letting me know though.

With a helping foot two panels went up today.
Pre-drilled each hole (wood and metal) then used 1" metal screws.
All I can say is- a lot of work goes into such a small place.
ja4ydyjy.jpg

2ate4yve.jpg

tenu4yta.jpg

se9usaqa.jpg

Exhausting day. For better or worst removed the cargo van mat and replaced it with Thermo-tec in strategic places, followed by 1/2 inch Polyisio foam.
I tried to find something I could use on the walls and ceiling that was sound deadening, and nothing. Couldn't find the right type of yoga mats: and didn't want to spend lots of money on stuff like Thermo-tec.
Yesterday I'm buying the floor and what do I see that's thermal, sound deadening and what not, and could've been used on the walls and ceiling...Blue Hawk 4 in 1 underlayment. : (
Floor's done!
Maybe...
Maybe I should've used 1/4 plywood on top of the foam to give it some stability, though it feels pretty good do far. Time will tell.
Here some pics;
e8avehab.jpg

nype2emy.jpg

avuhuqyh.jpg

pe9esady.jpg

7u8y7una.jpg

ymedyhyr.jpg

azapuny5.jpg

resejebu.jpg

e6uqy6yr.jpg

ha7yhyvu.jpg

Thanks. I was going for 1/2 hardwood but they didn't have what I wanted, so I got this laminate "old barn" look floor. Hope it lasts.

What a fantastic job you are doing. As you get close to the end if you are keeping track of the cost it would be neat to see what that amount is. It looks like it doesn't take much of the weight capacity away and the insulation and sound deadening properties will pay off in comfort...

akrvbob said:
I'm envious!
Bob

Oh, don't say that. I might be the one doing the work, but I've learn a lot from you and others on this forum, and I'm still learning. And, I'm not done.
Thanks!

Looking forward to three days off to work on the van, then came the rain and all good plans go by the wayside.
myhyveva.jpg

Tomorrow! There's always tomorrow.
Meanwhile I can finish what I had started last weekend. Poly on.
The piece on the right goes at the back of the van between the doors and the floor. The one on the left is a piece for the wall.
3e3ypepa.jpg

This one is for the ceiling. All pieces only have one of two or three coats of poly.
e2a5esum.jpg

yte7y8a9.jpg