2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick46 said:
It's gonna be hard to get the beer outta that cooler with those rocks on there!! :D

Seriously....nice work!! :cool:

Oh no...I knew I forgot something, I totally inclosed that thing up! Now I'll have to drill an access hole. : )
Thanks, hope it works better than not having any insulation.

Don't forget to leave 5/8" minimum air gap between the Reflectix and the plywood, including the bottom, if you can! Awesome job!

I like your idea of running the vents through the floor, like I said, I might use it myself. One of my concerns is adding holes to the floor and the possibility of fumes coming into the interior.

Lafnbug said:
Don't forget to leave 5/8" minimum air gap between the Reflectix and the plywood, including the bottom, if you can! Awesome job!

I'll try to remember that! : )

Yeah, vent shut off and diverter valves have me scratching my head as well... I'll let you know what I come up with.

Lafnbug said:
Yeah, vent shut off and diverter valves have me scratching my head as well... I'll let you know what I come up with.

Cool, let me know. I can attest that, even without being finish and no fan, I slept pretty comfortably in high humidity and temps in the eighties. I can just imagine with a fan. Even if it's just open, and not running, should make a huge difference.

I only knew one guy who claimed to solve the cold floor problem and he drilled a hole in the passenger side door step and ran a computer fan from the floor down through a tube and out that hole. He said it pulled the heat down from the roof and out that step, keeping the van a balanced temperature.

Might work well both summer and winter.
Bob

I'm not sure I'll be putting holes in the floor just yet. As I sleep and live in it more and more, I'll be able to see what works and doesn't work.
For now I'll install the fan. Then I'll have to figure out how much solar and what type of panels. And what I'll be using the power for. Definitely I'll run the fan. And maybe a small TV. Not sure about a refrigerator, yet. Air conditioner may be out of question, unless there's something out there that uses little energy and doesn't need to be vented to the outside.
The winter might be easier. I like sleeping in a cool space: here at the house this past winter I slept with no heat and temps in minus ten to fifteen. With a mr buddy heater I should be fine.
Learning one day at a time, but as of right now, no holes on the floor. Tomorrow, well tomorrow that might all change.

Insulating the ribs on the van; done!
After much debating the pros and cons of this material, and that material, I started the day with the intention of stuffing then with leftover foam. Instead I realized that I could run pieces of Reflectix inside them ribs. And that's what I did, 3 layers of them. Except on the ribs running down to the wheel well. There I used one layer of Reflectix and then used 1" foil backed foam cut to size and fed from the bottom, and also by the side cargo door.
qa2u7yvy.jpg

y6uge7ym.jpg

8u4y5u7y.jpg

ruje2y9y.jpg

2asa5a6u.jpg

5a8egu8y.jpg

agybere9.jpg

9yqy6a3y.jpg

e4yru4a5.jpg

That channel up top is pretty open on your van. Maybe an electrical run up there, possibly inside that blue plastic conduit for extra safty?

Great attention to detail with your insulation!

Ok, after so much work done on the icebox, having inclosed it in a wood box, I realized that it's just too big inside the van! Scrapped the box and moved on.
unatudap.jpg

9enuve2u.jpg

je2uty6a.jpg

e3a3u3uq.jpg

ta9yja6y.jpg

My plan was to use yoga mats on the walks and ceiling, but couldn't find closed cell mats around me, and for the price, I'm glad I didn't.
Since I still had Reflectix laying around I went ahead and used them instead.
And I can't install my Fantastic vent yet because my model 7350 didn't have the sealant inside -nor the remote for that matter- I'll begin doing the walls with 1/4" plywood.
symeputu.jpg

e8asudap.jpg

Now the fun part starts!
Today I cut and stained two pieces of plywood for the walls.
This is the cardboard and paper template. Measure twice, cut once...twice, thrice.
ysajebyr.jpg

And here's the plywood just fitted in there to see what would look like.
qu3yra8y.jpg

Here are the two pieces before the pre-stain product, after, and with stain.
u2yhysum.jpg

9ana5a6u.jpg

qyjyraqe.jpg

by4aheva.jpg

tebytuvu.jpg

4ury5ure.jpg

I had some time to kill while waiting for the pre-stain to dry. Took some measurement of the inside and came up with a plan for the interior. I already had an idea how I wanted the bed to go. The garage area also had been on my mind. Twenty inches, from the rear doors to the wheel wells will make a nice place for my bike, work boots and clothing, tools etc. here's my preliminary plan;
ygahunyq.jpg

...and some props to help visualize how things might go;
puhypeza.jpg

I like your methodology; looking good my friend. I have a bike that I have been trying to incorporate as well; it's tough to fit into a normal wheelbase van, so I'm considering everything from S&S couplers ($$$) for my old, treasured bike, to a folding bike like a Montague. Just another piece of the puzzle.

I saw a video a while back where a drummer/musician, living on the road in his van, built a set of cabinets on the passenger side, but the bottom half was one big open space, and he could lower his saddle, remove the front wheel, and slide the whole thing in through the back door - it was pretty cool, but used a lot of space...

I saw that same video. I think the way I'm setting up my bike might be better. On one hand I don't loose space for the bed, and on the other, I'm not scratching the bike while shoving it under some cabinet.

This is pro. I commend your patience. It took all of mine just to make paper templates instead of pressing the reflectix against the wall and taking a knife to it.

Wipe on poly today.
I wasn't going to do it but then I reconsider it and went ahead and used polyurethane; wipe on poly to be more exact.
First a light sanding with 400 grit, wipe on poly, wait 3 hours, light sanding -same grit- then one more coat of poly.
Here's the before, one coat, and second coat:
su9yga8e.jpg

zepu3a3e.jpg

egeza7y9.jpg

Wow! The poly really brings out the color and the grain. That's what I love about working with wood! My Dad made furniture and I dabble in gun stock refinishing. There's nothing as satisfying as nicely finished wood!

you will be glad you used the poly. really helps when doing housekeeping. looks really good. highdesertranger