2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next sweet potato, try a little maple syrup and some walnuts... omg

Luis I have been following through this thread for a couple of weeks and it really inspired me to saddle up and put the pedal to the metal (or rather, the insulation to the metal) on my van. Thanks for continuing to share your experiences and the great photos, it is a huge help to have clear visuals to go along with the ideas.

sassypickins said:
Next sweet potato, try a little maple syrup and some walnuts... omg

Sassypickins, great idea[emoji779]️[emoji106]
I never thought of it because the potatoes are so sweet [emoji517][emoji4], but if I remember, next episode including the potato you shall see maple syrup and walnuts[emoji106]

loess said:
Luis I have been following through this thread for a couple of weeks and it really inspired me to saddle up and put the pedal to the metal (or rather, the insulation to the metal) on my van. Thanks for continuing to share your experiences and the great photos, it is a huge help to have clear visuals to go along with the ideas.

loess, thank you for the kind words. That's the reason I decided to share my build, to help inspire, to help those less handy, to brighten someone's day, to give back and share what little knowledge I may have. [emoji4]

Just a quick pick at my over the bed cabinets, serving their purpose well, and full to the brim[emoji779]️
1f020cf6588f49f2a0b5e3a3fd85fb6b.jpg

42a6d8498b3ed4cccaf088c6e699c220.jpg

They continue another 20" or so past the curtains. Very glad I built them[emoji1][emoji106]. And no, I haven't hit my head on them.................................................................hard[emoji56]

Right now most of the stuff in them is cycling and running clothing [emoji468][emoji125]

Luisafernandes said:
If Sharing my van build and how I cope living in it can help at least one person, or brighten someone's day, then this thread has been worth it.
Thank you for taking your time to read it.
Count me into those people that are very inspired by your thread. It's particularly great to read from someone that takes a lot of joy and vividness in your conversion and now on your everyday experiences and you get to spread that . And of course, I appreciate a lot the knowledge that you are sharing.

Thanks a lot !!!!!

Free Range Chicken said:
Count me into those people that are very inspired by your thread. It's particularly great to read from someone that takes a lot of joy and vividness in your conversion and now on your everyday experiences and you get to spread that . And of course, I appreciate a lot the knowledge that you are sharing.

Thanks a lot !!!!!

No, thank you[emoji4][emoji106][emoji779]️

I've been thinking for a while (I know, I do that from time to time [emoji41]) about making a video of the van [emoji329]. Showing what I've done from a different perspective. I'm not much into being on camera (I might brake it or something) but I've seen enough YouTube videos to know that you get a very different (maybe full) perspective from that of pictures.
Let me know what you all think. Who knows, I might even like doing it so much I might start my YouTube channel [emoji79]

You are right about the sweetness of sweet potato. Acorn or butternut squash or pumpkin takes maple syrup better. Maybe just butter and trail mix or walnuts or whatever on sweet spud. In any event, yum.

Having clothes and other textiles up high like that is one of the reasons your van is holding it's heat so well. It all acts as insulation to slow down the out-flow of heat at the top of the van where the most heat accumulates.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Having clothes and other textiles up high like that is one of the reasons your van is holding it's heat so well. It all acts as insulation to slow down the out-flow of heat at the top of the van where the most heat accumulates.
Bob

Good point - now I'm liking the way my high top was done even more. Normally only the cab area is left with the original roof when the top is put on and it makes a wonderful storage area. With mine, the owner had the back roof left in place all the way to the first rib - I've got a 30" deep storage spot there. At first I was kinda upset because I had intended to put upper cabinets all around the bed area, now I'm thankful because I have this humungous deep storage spot for things like my backpacking quilts, extra/off season clothing etc, etc. etc.

Here's another little thing to improve life in the van: light. I already have 6 two LEDs lights up on the ceiling, 2 one LED, and 1 sconce LED, all with a wireless on/off switch.
Now I got myself two more LED lights bought purposely with no remote, just a bottom for on/off. I also have the same ones in the trunk area. The reason I did this is for when I need some light, just enough to see what I'm doing without having the inside be very bright.
This way if I have to go pee, I'll just turn on the light which is right by my side (each light was installed on opposite sides of the bed), and if need be I can turn on the sconce also.
bee69c9811368c1370eab3101b48bd43.jpg

You can see my pillow in the foreground.

First snow of the season. First time driving my new homemobile in the snow. First time getting stuck[emoji35][emoji41]
To get to my "home" I must go up some steep hills up to 1300 feet. When I got to one of those hills, about 8 minutes from home, I noticed that traffic had stopped. Nobody was moving. So I did the prudent thing, I pulled into the parking lot of a pizzeria.
The place is closing for lack of electricity due to power lines being down. I'm still able to get a couple slices, then went to the van to eat and wait for the plow to go by.
About 40 minutes later the plow goes by. I start the van, put it in reverse and...slide to the right and into the grass. I'm stuck and just can't get out. Called AAA and about an hour later they came and pulled me out.
b2efb4c4725b806da8ad9678391ebfa8.jpg

As you can see, I wasn't going anywhere.
Made it home but had to clean 250 feet of driveway. That's one thing I'm not going to miss[emoji3]
ccd96c69f4a83e5066bcecbb34d0cee8.jpg

cd7052c9cba56df22cf4d34972b31067.jpg

This is my maple tree. A few months ago and today;
e4c4251e9f918736e9bbac100d609054.jpg

61f58ac364afd63154e159a2c766ff30.jpg

I really have no experience driving a van in the snow. For the most part, if I go easy and not fast it handles ok. Not so much uphill. Where there was sand or salt down on the road I didn't have much of a problem, except when I had to slow down almost to a stop because of somebody else going very slow.

Now on the bright side[emoji295]️[emoji779]️
I been putting off buying a TV for the van because I didn't have power. Well, I forgot that I can plug in on weekends. At least for now anyway. So I bought myself a tv[emoji779]️[emoji106]
Here she is;
43a5cb01ade6f1dd183c14a1b4f48f45.jpg

08525877aacea5f69ba9fd0e0726b143.jpg

She works, now I'm going to have some pumpkin pie and see a movie[emoji779]️[emoji106][emoji3]
7e60f1e009eec72a1d4957fc7f1aeed0.jpg

I'll be making a way to attach it using this;
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-f...2815&ep=pv-1.6.4,rc-av,dr-9004356,av-1.0,rk-1

If you've got room for it, put some really heavy objects right over the rear axle. Worry less about your gas mileage and more about the back end not getting ahead of the front end...lol.

Dad used to load concrete bricks into the back of my vans for me for the winter.

The one that used to handle the best was the really early fords (1961 style). I later found out that Ford put a lead weight tucked above the gas tank that weighed something over 150 lbs. Back end of that sucker never drifted...lol.

Almost There said:
If you've got room for it, put some really heavy objects right over the rear axle. Worry less about your gas mileage and more about the back end not getting ahead of the front end...lol.

Dad used to load concrete bricks into the back of my vans for me for the winter.

The one that used to handle the best was the really early fords (1961 style). I later found out that Ford put a lead weight tucked above the gas tank that weighed something over 150 lbs. Back end of that sucker never drifted...lol.

With all the stuff inside from the build I'm pretty heavy as it is, but thank you for the suggestion[emoji106][emoji4]

dang you had to do pumpkin pie, my favorite. you guys don't chain up back there? a lot of places out west here it's mandatory. no chains no go. follow the plow is a good tip, I have done that for many, many miles at 20mph. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
dang you had to do pumpkin pie, my favorite. you guys don't chain up back there? a lot of places out west here it's mandatory. no chains no go. follow the plow is a good tip, I have done that for many, many miles at 20mph. highdesertranger

I'll email you a piece of pie[emoji3]
Chains[emoji779]️[emoji779]️[emoji779]️ I didn't think of that, good idea, thank you. I'm so used to my old VW front wheel drive. I'll see where I can buy some near me[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Almost There said:

Back in my illspent youth, a buddy's older brother did that with his Corvair car - 150 lbs in the front end did wonders for it! To "H" with Nader! :)

Woke up this morning with the temperature at 29 outside, but inside was a "toasty" 44 degrees.
3e9bd1a3de48f204f2bbb1697e317645.jpg

Just turned on my buddy,
697d94051ac01615d852ac8daa90cd64.jpg

But before I did that I took a peek behind the door separating the cab and, it's still snowing out there[emoji300]️[emoji300]️[emoji300]️
858cf82471cce85788578d4ffc4c5588.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all my unseen friends.

The snow storm made me hunker down for the day. Laid in my comfy bed most of the day just watching YouTube vandwellers, this forum and this and that. Had blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Later in the day finally decided to re-clean the driveway.
1ef76dcf80f4bafe64e55ab095e82a29.jpg

It looks beautiful outside if you don't have to clean it.
f71e86c6c0b20f34e051a95addd634e6.jpg

You desert folks must be real jealous of that view, aren't you[emoji5]️[emoji56]

But now...in this episode of cooking in the van: making whatever I could find in my kitchen/living room/bedroom/bathroom/pantry/sitting room.
For my turkey dinner I made some rice with a little salt. After it came to a boil I let it simmer for about ten minutes to evaporate the water. Then I added shrimp, cheese cut into little pieces, real chicken slices cut into pieces and spices. Mixed all in. Covered for a few minutes and, voilà. Ces't bon[emoji39]
84543e41295dc9137c8af3a2e31974a2.jpg

5ba1354ce60a6c9d594717bfb5359f54.jpg

5f8439fb96f3892b7dfc9f840a4b76d9.jpg

b989f0204371907eff79d8b203028f2f.jpg

4370a8e45c6f106715e89c4d8da01768.jpg

a3cb550e06440a6201a601c47b76f725.jpg

5182a2ba10252a6c22991fc0ea0397c5.jpg

cec759a02659a3c22d2ff27d1287d13c.jpg

It's not a real turkey dinner but it's the best I could come up with [emoji53]

Real creative, Luis.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'll bet it's good, too. Only other thing I would want was some cranberry relish to put on the toast.

Bob

Latest posts