2000 Dodge conversion van - thoughts, advice?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbuelaLoca

Reaction score
Another conversion van I like... It is above my budget by quite a bit, but the owner is wanting to leave the country, so I could always just offer and wait and hope and not hold my breath!! :)  It's been on CL for almost a month!

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/5958183477.html

01010_5BuvJhkV5EH_600x450.jpg

The only thing I see that needs to be done is to polish the headlight covers  I have the stuff for that. 

At $3,000 it would be a steal. What they are asking is a little high.  JMHO.  But finding a clean hi top is not easy.

Here is one on EBay with low miles.  Just for real market value comparison. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Dodge-Ram-Van-Conversion-/252760312643

Walmart polished my headlights for $30, the kit to do it cost $21. That and some new middle price ranged headlights made a nice difference.

Dodge vans used unitized construction which means there is no separate frame and body. The body is part of the frame.
In places where the roads are salted they don't do well. Where it is being purchased may not be where it spent most of it's life.
Have it inspected for undercarriage rust.

The 1/2 ton may be able to tow especially with the 360 engine, but it does not have the cargo capacity to make a great stand alone camper. In some ways a cargo van is easier to convert to a 4 season camper than a conversion van, ( insulation is often non existent in Conversions). You then have to remove the interior to insulate and then the panels you took off may not fit back on.

I had to have my transmission rebuilt right around 130K miles as that Van is listed at. I think that is about the average life expectancy.

I personally like conversion van TV tops, even though I cannot stand upright within mine. What i cannot imagine is not having that extra space and storage that it provides over a low top van.

In addition to chassis rust, look at roof gutter rust. The latter will be the demise of my Dodge Van, and much effort has already been expended to slow it down. I have little to no rust on the underside being a Florida van. Just the roof gutters and now front quarterpanels are beginning.

I concur with everyone above. Dodge's single Achilles-Heal is their propensity to rust just by sneezing in its general direction. And that rust usually eats the van to death in the worst place possible: The steering system. Never mind the roof rail rust.. You can plug that.

The Dodge 46RE of this era tends to blow its overdrive right about at the 125-130K mile range. 

The 5.9L is a great engine. 13mpg tho.

This van fell off CL, as I figured it would, and has been relisted for the same price. I am still waiting on my money, so can't even deal yet... But... But.... there's a 2002 Ford E350 with an aftermarket high top I may be more interested in!!!!!

What engine on the Ford? Some of them had serious problems as well. Bob Wells just did a video on what van to buy. He talks about the issue as well.

DannyB1954 said:
What engine on the Ford? Some of them had serious problems as well. Bob Wells just did a video on what van to buy. He talks about the issue as well.

I actually just rewatched that video! 

The ad doesn't say what engine, just that it's a v8 and recently had the transmission replaced. I read up a little on the spark plug issue and I think it said to replace the threads with "Lock-N-Stitch" aluminum inserts?? Does that sound doable? Oh crap... that's on the e-250 I was looking at... the e-350 also doesn't say what engine, just 8 cylinders but has 125K... Very confusing LOL!!

AbuelaLoca said:
I actually just rewatched that video! 

The ad doesn't say what engine, just that it's a v8 and recently had the transmission replaced. I read up a little on the spark plug issue and I think it said to replace the threads with "Lock-N-Stitch" aluminum inserts?? Does that sound doable? Oh crap... that's on the e-250 I was looking at... the e-350 also doesn't say what engine, just 8 cylinders but has 125K... Very confusing LOL!!

The Wikipedia article on "Ford E Series" is good background reading.  Basicly, from 97 on, the only V8s used in Econolines were the ones with the spark plug problems.  Ford claims the problems ended with the engines built after 11/something/07 which means most - but not all - of the 2008's on up.

Personally, if one of those engines has 125K, unless the seller can show me the work orders showing the spark plugs being changed, I would assume the original plugs were still in there and were going to be an expensive problem Real Soon Now.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The Wikipedia article on "Ford E Series" is good background reading.  Basicly, from 97 on, the only V8s used in Econolines were the ones with the spark plug problems.  Ford claims the problems ended with the engines built after 11/something/07 which means most - but not all - of the 2008's on up.

Personally, if one of those engines has 125K, unless the seller can show me the work orders showing the spark plugs being changed, I would assume the original plugs were still in there and were going to be an expensive problem Real Soon Now.

Strange, went around the net checking as the issue I heard about ONLY applied to the following:

Ford Owner Reports of Spark Plug Blowout
Make Model Years
Ford Excursion 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004
Ford Expedition 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Ford Explorer 2002, 2003, 2005
Ford F-150 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

I did read the wiki article, but they mention nothing of the engines being used in vans.

I also read the CR article on the spark plugs, no mention of the engines are used in any vans...

Do you have some article that points to the vans as being equipped with them?

I have been looking at some vans, not discounting Ford vans ATM. But want to make sure the hysteria isn't misplaced.

Its why I love the old Ford 300-6... No problems. It'll go 500,000 miles between rebuilds if you take care of it.. No spark plug blow out issues. crack an exhaust manifold? 130 bux and an hour of your time if your inclined.

The Chevy Express vans seem to be priced out of my budget; especially those after 2002 that Bob mentions in his video. I don't want the headache of worrying about the Ford E series because it would be worse to be broke down with thousands of dollars of repairs staring me in the face. I want the clearance of the cargo and the height of the hi-top conversion and the reliability of a Honda Civic... is that really too much to ask for?  :p

I have had good luck with Dodge vehicles. Just don't buy them if they have been in the rust belt. Bob didn't mention them in his video, but I think they made them up until 2005

DannyB1954 said:
I have had good luck with Dodge vehicles. Just don't buy them if they have been in the rust belt. Bob didn't mention them in his video, but I think they made them up until 2005

He does mention them in the second video he posted today!  :D