1998 Dodge Ram B3500 Thoughts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a 1998 Dodge Ram B3500 5.9L with 169,192 miles on it?

The current owner just had $2K worth or work which included replacing catalytic converter, replacing rear shocks, replaced rear axle seal and wheel cylinders, replaced rear drums and pads and repacked bearings. Has new battery. 

Van is gutted with 2 windows missing and ceiling fan that needs replacing. Passenger seat also missing. Asking $4k. Paint job is not original. Has extremely high, high top. I ran the VIN and no accidents have ever been reported or stolen/salvage. 

This will be used for vacations. New Mexico to California, New Mexico to New York, New Mexico to Yellowstone/Glacier.

Never owned a Dodge -- always a Chevy. The Chevy's I see all have very high mileage. My budget is between $3-4K. 

As always thanks for all the great input.

Dodges have been known to have more than average problems with computers (but all other brands can have similar problems). The overdrive transmissions aren't the best unless well maintained. On a used car the maintenance history can be hard to determine.

I've owned several Dodges and had good luck but they were older models and I was able to maintain and repair them myself.

Any 23 yo van with 170k on it will be a gamble. Have it checked out by a competent mechanic or knowledgeable friend with a thorough test drive.

PS: Check around to see how much it would cost to replace the windows and pass. seat.

Have it checked for hidden rust especially around the front frame areas. It sounds expensive for the condition. Has it set outside with no windows?

I bought my 1998 conversion van. A Dodge even though I was looking for a Chevy. I paid $3700 and ended up putting around 1500 in maintenance just to be sure I had a good for this trip. That also included $500 worth of tires. I’ve been so pleased with itI’m getting 16 miles to the gallon did the build out in the back myself it’s working very well. I have some surface rust issues I need to take care of mechanic looked it over and said that he thinks it’s in great shape even though it is in the rust belt. I am always literally playing Thanksgiving for what I’ve gotten out of it so far and asking HIM to keeping it running. So far so good. I have had a Dodge minivan the caravan excellent vehicle although I would prefer GM I have to buy what is available at the price I can afford and will fill the need.

what 2 windows are missing? did they say why? front frame horns are always a problem with Dodges. in fact they don't even have a frame the are uni-body. computer issues too. seems like a lot of money for the condition you describe. highdesertranger

Thanks for the replies.

I have attached a picture and had previously attached the bills from the work that seller had done. Not sure if you can open or where it is.

Previous owner had used it as an ice cream truck and that was sellers intent as well. I asked about rust and she stated she never checked. I was going to call shop where seller had work done to see if they remember anything significant. 

Let me know if you can open picture please!

Pic not there.

BTW: In another thread you said you would be going on vacations with a couple of kids and that the PS seat is missing.

What about other seats?

[ATTACH=full said:
27533[/ATTACH]dodge van pass.jpgdodge van.jpgdodge van pass.jpgdodge van.jpgTravelingmommaof3 pid='517533' dateline='1608489752']Thanks for the replies.

I have attached a picture and had previously attached the bills from the work that seller had done. Not sure if you can open or where it is.

Previous owner had used it as an ice cream truck and that was sellers intent as well. I asked about rust and she stated she never checked. I was going to call shop where seller had work done to see if they remember anything significant. 

Let me know if you can open picture please!

Attachments

• dodge van pass.jpg
    dodge van pass.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 13
  • dodge van.jpg
    dodge van.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 8
slow2day said:
Pic not there.

BTW: In another thread you said you would be going on vacations with a couple of kids and that the PS seat is missing.

What about other seats?

Yes the van is empty and we would convert it. I would be buying a seat for the front passenger.

there is a thread somewhere here im which people are discussing how those fodges (older) have rusted frames... i was also looking to buy one... had a nice tall top similar to yours and definitely a beauty..like the one here you posted.

i did some research on rusted frames and was really shocked/scared. i know now to take a hammer.. crawl under the vehicle and bang on the frame to check....

youtube has some shocking videos ..rusted corner panel is the least concern in a serious rust issue.

flash light and a hammer..lol

i think the guy who sold me my 91 was surprised when i got down on the still rain soaked ground, flashlight in teeth and hammer in hand!

Yes, definitely check for rust since you're in Denver. Research where rust causes problems on Dodges!

The tilt-out windows on the side wouldn't be a problem to find at a junk yard or on eBay. Still would want to knock off a couple $100s at least for the hassle.

The PS door looks like it might be sprung at the top. Actually quite a lot from what I see.

But maybe it's just the frame around it?

I've seen quite a few wheelchair vans with the high doors at the side or rear but this is the first one with a PS door like that.

If you will have more than 1 passenger, you'll need more seating. Very unsafe (and illegal) for anyone to ride without a seat and belt.

(Grampa preaching...)

Be aware that this vehicle with the extended length and high top will be susceptible to crosswinds.

The extended Dodges have the same wheelbase as a regular length van and that can cause some squirrelly handling in the curves/mountains. The high top can make it worse when it's windy.

You would have to be careful with weight distribution and be sure tires and suspension are up to spec.

I hope that it at least a 3/4 ton. for me I would want it to be a 1 ton. highdesertranger

To my unprofessional untrained eye it looks like a winner. But the problems you get are the ones you can’t see. By the way I agree with the hammer and flashlight but from personal experience wear some goggles rust in the eye is a pain, literally. An expensive pain. I’ve often wondered if that wind resistance for that flat top in front causes mileage issues? If you’re not traveling hundreds of miles on the interstate you’re probably all right. But that’s only been a question I had I don’t have an answer. Certainly looks like it would have the space to build out nicely. I hate those stupid side windows I’ve been thinking of a way to take mine out and replace them with something that can open the whole way with screen and such. Our Pennsylvania Inspection laws are tough and even though I’m traveling I am legally a Pennsylvanian and have to have it inspected there to keep the license and insurance. The answer to the rust question and other things that may be lurking is a trusted mechanic. Doesn’t cost much and it’s worth it to have them go over it.

It sounds like the price is high. Yesterday I bought a 1996 Ford e150 which is in better than average condition, for $2500. It's got a straight six engine in it, so I feel lucky.

Vans with a full, high top are in demand these days because of the popularity of 'van life'.

So they will command higher prices.

Latest posts