Grateful for advice on van purchase

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanBDS

Reaction score
Hello forum!

I've received great advice here previously on my search for a van. I'd like to ask for some more and add that I really appreciate the expertise here and willingness to help out total strangers! I've learned heaps reading through the threads here. 

I'm looking a 1992 Chevy 20. Details and pics below.  It's had a lot of interior work done and would be super comfortable for my girlfriend and I (if not at all stealthy!). The owner has done all the work herself and she seems very straight-up and honest. I'm not crazy about the colour scheme and paintwork on the outside to advertise it, but I'm looking for a travel van, not a super-stealth vanhome.  

She's asking $8000 for it and says she thinks she put about $5-6000 in to the conversion. I figure base value for the van is ~$2-2.500

The main questions in my mind are 
  • is the asking price is ballpark reasonable? I may want to resell in a few months after some travelling in the US and Mexico and if so would like to get within $1-1.5k of what I paid.
  • any obvious mechanical issues to look out for? (I figure I will need to get a mechanic to inspect for structural rust, given it's San Diego and often parked by the ocean)
Keen for your thoughts and things to look out for! 

Dan

Pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0tkplocQYeRbGVINXA4c1d2dVk

Specs

• 1991 or 92 (not certain) Chevy 20
  • Mileage - 95,000 
  • Engine - V6.  She climbs hills like a champ and has no trouble getting to 80+mph on the freeway.  
  • Tires - 6 months old, tires are holding up really well. Tread is still very deep. The breaks started to squeal about a week ago, and I went to have them checked to see if they needed replacement but they have 45-50% life left. 
  • Any issues while you've owned it - especially electrical or rust? I've never had any electrical issues or engine problems. But I did put in a new alternator when i first bought her. Rust is pretty much as expected for a 25 year old van that's been near the ocean. It hasn't been a problem yet but I do see some rust spots along the top where the van meets the high top and around the front windshield. But none of those spot have leaked and I inspect them often and use sealants as a precaution every 6ish months. 
  • CA smog test recently? Last smog was done in November and passed without any red flags. 
  • History - I've had big mama for 3 years. 
    • I did small projects until last year when I completely rebuilt the interior living area. 
    • About a month of work and around 5-6k. 
  • Features 
    • Insulation, new walls, new flooring, cabinets & bed, fantastic fan in the ceiling, electrical (ceiling lights, 3 D.C. & USB Outlets, 750w inverter) all powered by a solar set up that charges with two 100w panels mounted to the roof, and two deep cycle batteries. 
    • I installed a TruckFridge a few months ago (what a life saver) it runs on D.C. Power and is hooked up the the solar set up too. It's about 4.2cu ft.  
    • I got a new mattress with the blue gel memory foam about 4 months ago to keep cooler at night. 
    • I made all the black out curtains myself.
    • Installed the CD player (she was rocking a broken Cassette player still!)
    • There is a CB radio!!! That works but needs an antenna to really get any communications. 
    • I replaced the rear doors because the previous owner had been rear ended and the old ones didn't quite close all the way. 
    • Power windows work perfectly. The driver captain chair is all power control too.
  • Who had it before? and did it ever tow heavy loads? The previous owner is another adventure lady whom I am still friends with. We only met over the sale of the van. She had driven the van from New York to San Diego and just finished her masters program. She actually bought the same model van about a year after I bought this one from her cause she missed the van so much. The new vans reside in Ocean Beach San Diego. 
  • Mileage? I'm not positive on mpg. It's around 15-18.  I've only been using Plus grade has for the past 3 years too. Couple cents more per gallon and I feel better about the engine and such. Maybe it's mental. But that's just what I do. Haha

NO WAY IN HELL!  If it is a V6 that alone kills it for me.  No way you can expect to think about recovering your money.  JMHO

Home made conversions don't add to the value of a used vehicle, other than any value it provides for an interested buyer. Basically, it's a used vehicle and worth what ever the book value or market value of the area it's in.

Now, that being said, if you really love a conversion someone did, there's nothing wrong with paying over book value for it. Value on a conversion is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think it's a lot of money for a home converted van that's 25 years old and spent it's life near an ocean. I'd also want a V8, especially with the added weight of the interior.

All this being said, looks like they did a nice job on the interior. But I think you can get more and/or better van for $8k

myself I would say its worth in the 2000 dollar range and thats including the fridge. 

I've done alot of conversion to my 1986 astrovan but not 6000 worth. I bought it for 750 dollars, if I sold it I doubt I get a 1000 for it and thats including the solar panels etc. Even if I painted it and made it look nice, it's still a 1986.

The van is worth what it's mechanically/milege/age worth. All the accesorys/conversions/modifications should only be considered if thats what you you really want, but it doesnt add any resale value to a vehicle.

If you buy it, when you decide to sell it, you will probably get 2000 for it. Myself I have seen those types of 1990 vans without any mods in the 1200 dollar range, I almost bought one myself but the v8 engine on it had an oil leak.

I'm also in the southern california area, as far as cars being parked near the ocean, I never heard of that being a problem here, maybe the temperature never gets high enough for it to cause damage. Never had any corrosion problems with any vehicles I owned.

If the questions above in your list were answered by the owner, I wonder why she isn't sure what year the van is? Is she selling it for someone else?

95,000 miles...or 195,000? Can't tell from a '92 odometer with only 5 digits.

It has some of the camping items you need but your focus really should be on getting something that is reliable if you want to enjoy travel. If it checks out fine by a mechanic, it still would only be worth less than half of what she's asking, at the very most IMO

If it's on craigslist or other site, how long has it been for sale? If it's been quite some time, that kinda tells you it's overpriced.

The paint scheme is one of those 'love it or hate' deals and may decrease your chances to unload it when that time comes.

Hello forum!

I've...I'd...I've...I'm looking a 1992 Chevy 20...comfortable for my girlfriend and I (if not at all stealthy!)....not a super-stealth...in a few months after...travelling...the US and Mexico...
[approximately 60,000 words deleted for brevity]
  • 1991 or 92 (not certain) Chevy 20
  • Mileage - 95,000
  • Engine - V6....
  • Tires - 6 months old... have 45-50% life left. it's mental. But that's just what I do. Haha
Mountains east of Sacramento, California.
We owned a 1976 Chevrolet 4x4 1-ton long-wheelbase with a 400ci V-8.
No raise-roof nor conversion other than insulation and paneling.
No idea of the axle ratios.
That combination was brutal on mpg... 6mpg on a good day.
Probably aware of the potential issue, the conversion company added a supplemental fuel tank... with the filler in the wheel-well so it was perpetually encased in muddy muck.
Cripes.
We fell out of love with it at the first fuel stop.
I think we owned it less than a week.
Now, about your love-affair:
I am fairly convinced -- and rightfully so -- I know everything about every vehicle this side of the universe.
So, you can imagine my shock to learn Chevrolet engineers, in their infinite wisdom, installed a 4.3 V-6 in a 3/4-ton van!
We owned a 1984 Chevrolet Astro van with a 4.3 V-6, and it was an excellent rig.
We acquired it half beat-to-death from a plumber, and it took us to Central America without skipping.
We owned a 1992 Chevrolet C-10 half-ton pick-up, 4.3 V-6, again half beat-to-death by who-ever abandoned it for the tow-yard to auction it.
Another utterly dependable vehicle.
Would I think twice about your love-affair?
I might take it across the scale to verify the GVWR is not exceeded by all the stuff travelers usually lug along.
Tires:
One year, and they are approaching my replace tread depth?
Odd.
But as long as your squeeze is comfy, you are probably good.
Because that right there is half the battle...
An aside:
I officially retire the word and concept of 'stealth'.
It never existed, it doesn't exist, it will never exist.
Goodbye, 'stealth'... and enjoy your stealthy retirement.
Be gone, I banish thee!