2000 Chevy Express project

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black and Decker electric knife. 9.99 from Walmart online; $3 cheaper than store shelf.
Not sure about cutting styrofoam...

The white plain styrofoam is a mess to deal with, tons of those mini white pellets. Dow blue is a solid consistency and is great to work with. Utility knife and no mess. It's a little more $ but still reasonable.

Made an I beam support for bed to slide underneath in the middle.

20140607_123717.jpg

20140607_135934.jpg

Yes sir! Those work well.
vy9ymume.jpg

Plus I save a buck with OSB

Oh yea, you have those too.
I made this totally from leftover scraps. The bed and mattress I've had for about 10 years. I'm going to upholster fabric over the foam stapled to a hardboard bottom. I read about that on somebody's RV website and thought it was a simple solution since I don't know how to sew, nor have a sewing machine. I laid out on it and it seems quite sturdy and comfortable.

Patching areas where paint flaked off in progress...

20140615_144509.jpg

20140613_135942.jpg

20140615_144522.jpg

Going to have to tackle the roof soon....

20140613_135952.jpg

Spot on the hood turned out pretty well.
Mostly just the tree shadow is visible in picture

20140619_165317.jpg

You really did do a good job spotting that hood!

yeah...nice job on the repair!!

the 90's saw alot of vehicles whos hoods and roofs were seriously delaminating. It was due to them experimenting with new primers on the paintjobs. The EPA was coming down on the auto manufacturers to come up with new paints that were more environmentally friendly. Unfortunately...it took 'em a good 15 years to come up with something that worked right, and now a majority of vehicles from the 90's have little to no paint on their hodds or roofs (unless they've been repainted).

Keep up the good work!! :D

Yup! Evidence of it is pretty wide spread!!

Patrick46 said:
yeah...nice job on the repair!!

the 90's saw alot of vehicles whos hoods and roofs were seriously delaminating. It was due to them experimenting with new primers on the paintjobs. The EPA was coming down on the auto manufacturers to come up with new paints that were more environmentally friendly. Unfortunately...it took 'em a good 15 years to come up with something that worked right, and now a majority of vehicles from the 90's have little to no paint on their hodds or roofs (unless they've been repainted).

Keep up the good work!! :D

wow, thanks.

Joann Fabrics has craft felt on sale right now for $3.49/yard. This is essentially the stuff that speaker cabinet/trunk liner fabric is. If not exactly, it is darn close enough for half the best pricing I found, which was Parts Express.

Making cab/cargo partitions...have the passenger side roughed in. Charcoal felt on cab side and cherry colored wood finish on camper side.

Making a template; this wood sheet is thin enough to be cut with utility scissors. Used my adhesive spray and wraparound stapling to install felt.

20140617_165540.jpg

20140624_135320.jpg

20140624_140002.jpg

With partitions does this mean you will have to get out of the vehicle to move from the cab to the rear?

No, there will be an open area to easily move from cab to camper.

I've been thinking a lot about having my generator stolen off the van...the access panel is not locked or anything; its just a metal shield screwed down with two nuts. Does anybody have suggestions about any ways to try to make it more theft resistant?
The only thing I have thought of so far is running two cables through one of the holes along the bottom of both sides and locking them to some part of the frame underneath.

Chris,
Inexpensive fix.

You could drill, two holes thru access panel and floor, and use a cable gun lock (Google for pic) to secure the panel.

Bob