1994 chevy g20 possibly

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyib

Reaction score
this is my first post but ive been reading for a while now. was wanting opinions on the chevy g20's. I came across this on craigslist and have been talking to the guy http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5668063238.html

i currently have a 2000 astro but was completely ripped off and it needs almost 3k to even pass state inspection.
It is already gutted and has had a tone of repairs which is a plus and is a high top. My only concern is i have been really wanting something awd or 4wd as I plan on going to Alaska in the spring and it would be nice if i get stuck anywhere.

Also if anyone has links to some g20 conversions. i did a search but could not find a whole lot :)

Welcome....That looks like a decent van, if all he lists is true, it should be good.
That said, does it come inspected like you were saying your other van wont pass?
Also, a pre 96 does have a computer....Its OBD1 as opposed to OBD2 after 95.........less complicated, but still computer controlled......not that its a bad thing.

poncho62 said:
Welcome....That looks like a decent van, if all he lists is true, it should be good.
That said, does it come inspected like you were saying your other van wont pass?
Also, a pre 96 does have a computer....Its OBD1 as opposed to OBD2 after 95.........less complicated, but still computer controlled......not that its a bad thing.

he did say it has been recently inspected however would have no problem having it inspected again at his cost, only thing i worry about that is him going to a place that will just pass it so id like to pick a mechanic. how are these vans as far as converting? like i said i haven't been able to find a lot about while searching and do you if i carry chains and proper gear having the rwd will be ok while trekking up to Alaska?

Hi Joeyib!! Welcome! I've lived in Alaska 45 years and driven the Alcan a dozen times, including on a motorcycle and in winter. I think you've really exaggerated in your mind the difficulty of driving to and in Alaska, it's just no big deal. Many decades ago it was, but it is not any longer. Now it's just a long, tedious drive.

If you are going to be there over the winter then it gets so much snow and ice then AWD would be very nice but front wheel drives and studs will get you around just fine. You will regret a rear wheel drive van though. If you are going to winter over I'd look for a 4x4 pickup and camper.

I lived there 45 years and never put a set of chains on once and know very few people who ever did.
Bob

akrvbob said:
front wheel drives and studs will get you around just fine. You will regret a rear wheel drive van though.

I thought the reason FWD is considered better in snow is because normal cars have more weight on the front wheels, but a vehicle with everything needed to survive an Alaska winter in it would likely be heavier in the rear. Last winter I only used my van's 4x4 when I towed my brother's minivan up the driveway, but I had much better tires (snow/ice rated MTs) than it did (all season).

so 4x4 aside does the van seem like a good deal? i have yet to go see it in person due to my work schedule

Welcome aboard Joeyib!

I have a friend that just got back from an extensive trip to Alaska , from spring to now so some snow and cold !
He did it in an old Dodge Caravan ! No problems...

Good luck with the inspection,,,why do you think it won't pass?

its not that I don't think it will or will not pass, i just have not seen many people when i search use these vans a lot and I do not know a whole lot about them. I am mechanically inclined to do most work within my means. I am going to look at it tomorrow i'm not sure if i should offer him lower or if the price is pretty good for what he has already done to it

went and looked at the van its a pretty neat old van that had a lot weird added to it in the conversion. it drove great however it had an oil leak at the front of the engine. im going to pay for inspection tomorrow before i buy it, im hoping its not a head gasket or something thats just going to be another 1000$ other then that looks like it might need shocks and a good wash. was almost completely gutted except the carpet and the rear ac unit.

pic of the leak? Some of us may be able to set you straight on the likeliest culprit

Hey Joey, I recently bought a 93 g20 conversion, Mark 3, 59,000 miles, runs great. I gutted it and am in the process of turning it into my home. They are reliable, Keep me posted and good luck!

Picked up the van a few days ago the leak is the power steering but i have not tracked down where exactly. engine is dry as a bone and runs great. Other then that when we had it inspected it failed due to a control arm that was loose probably from firestone when he had the front end re built again no big deal. I will get a photo of the leak tomorrow morning. I had them confirm all the work he has done and looks like besides replacing the front and rear shocks its pretty solid. He had put 4 brand new A/T tires on it all new pitman arms, all tie rod ends, all idler arms, upper and lower ball joints both sides, both wheel bearings, re packed rear wheel hubs, front and and rear rotors hubs and brakes, re greased and and serviced the rear end, new master cylinder, flushed and re filled brake fluid, all new whipper blades and head lights. It is all also under a 1 year warranty that is transferable through fire stone. he threw in all the pieces he has already gutted and all the pieces he had already had redone in marine vinyl, two extra swinging spare tires mounts and a custom swivel mount for the passenger side front seat. im pretty happy with only paying 3k for it and his bill from firestone was 3800 for all the work he had done already so unless the engine just craps out i think its pretty good!

90% of power steering leaks are the rubber lines. repacked rear wheel hubs, whaaaaat. rear wheel bearing get lubed from the differential fluid you don't pack rear wheel bearings. check your rear end differential fluid. if it's low let us know I will tell you how to properly fill the rear axle on a full floating rear axle. highdesertranger

i was just going off what the firestone list said ether way it was gone through pretty well

well either they are blowing smoke up your *ss or they don't know what they are doing. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

troo, you do not 'repack' rear axle bearings, check the fluid level
In fact check all the fluids (I check oils, trans, and antifreeze every time I gas up)

I just read the receipt wrong however it does state that the rear differential fluid was done during it. I am pretty mechanically inclined but being younger i have never really worked on anything this old or anything rear wheel drive. I just ordered new rear shocks that i will do myself. I have not had a day off yet to be able to actually clean then van up but hopefully i will get to on sunday

another question I have also is the van has what looks like lines for the separate rear air and i have no use for it at all can i just cut them and plug them? or should i just leave it and try and build around it

I don't understand why you would disable the rear air. but yes it can be done. the best way to do it is to buy new lines for it. buy the lines for one with no rear AC. note the old Freon will have to be removed and the system will have to be vacuumed out and recharged. this will have to be done if you cap it or change the lines. highdesertranger