Van verses Popup TC or TT

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitude

Reaction score
Hello everyone!  I'm new here.  I own a 1984 Skamper popup truck camper on a 2000 Chevy 1500.  I've only had it for a year now and took it to a camping family reunion where my wife and I slept wonderfully.  Sometimes I travel up to Alaska from Oregon to do seasonal work.  The last time we did, we took a popup tent trailer and the time it took to set up and breakdown each day was hectic.  Slowed our trip down tremendously and we were on a tight clock to get there.  We could have bought my wife's grandpa's 1994 Chevy G20 van which was pretty bare wheelchair conversion, but decided against it.  Since then, I've thought about the van life and here are the pros and cons to a long distance trip and summer living compared to a pop up truck camper or pull behind tent trailer.  I'm thinking of changing to a conversion van and keeping it simple with just a queen bed, and maybe a cabinet/sink.  We have a little camp trailer with storage, a stove and sink we pull behind, so roominess isn't that big of a deal.   I invite anyone to chime in on other thoughts.

Van pros:
-  Better MPG
-  Less wind in travel.
-  Rest stop eating or nap (hard to put up a pop up for a short break).
-  Comfortable travel.
-  Heating or cooling living space (Canada can get cold and climbing into a cold bed at night in a TC or TT).
-  Set up and break down camp (faster and can be done in bad weather).
-  Quieter nights (when pesky loud neighbors are out.  Popups have no noise reduction).
-  Easier to  heat with space heater, propex or just warmer with body heat.
-  Much better security against intruders, or critters.

If you can think of anything else, I'd appreciate it.  I am sure this subject has been broached before, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced both worlds and what your take is on it.

We did the "popup" thing for too many years, and usually spent about an hour setting, or tearing down by the time you get an awning up, and beds made, and sometimes in the rain is no fun. We now have a 31' TT, and love it. One person can do it all, and can be relaxing in 20 minutes.

We may go van, or truck camper in the future, but never back to a popup.