Looking for help on evaluating the condition of fiberglass high top on my Chevy G20

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jac962

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve been browsing this forum for a while looking for an answer to this and I haven’t found a definitive one yet and have only become more confused over the last few weeks. I just need to know help evaluating the condition of the fiberglass high top of my 95 Chevy G20 (see pics). Cosmetically, I really don’t care what it looks like, I just want to make sure it doesn’t leak in the future. I don’t know much about fiberglass, does this look like faded gel coat or just a clear coat? Are these tiny cracks just a result of the fiberglass shifting and the paint not being flexible enough and cracking, or is it a sign of deterioration? Does this look like it’s in need of refinishing in order to prevent leaks/major cracks, or does it look okay structurally?

If it needs to be repaired, ichat’s the best way to prevent leaks? Yacht enamel? Dixie fiberglass roof sealer? Fiberglass resin? Paint on clear coat? Any help greatly appreciated.

Edit: I tried to attach pictures, and they wouldn’t upload so here is a link to the imgur album of my roof. 

I used Henry tropicool roof coating on mine. I bought it a Home Depot for around $50 per gallon and put on two coats. I scuffed it real good with 100 grit sandpaper for good adhesion before painting. Its been on for 6 years and has lost its sheen but is holding up real well. It took about a week to fully cure and had a rubbery feel to it for the first couple days. I also used it on a little homemade cargo trailer. I put poor mans fiberglass over the plywood roof and used tropicool for the final coat. Same results, no leaks but no sheen anymore. Just my $.02.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

It looks aged but it doesn't appear too bad. You can do as described above or something similar and have a bit of piece of mind. If I went to buy a van and it looked like that would I buy it? Yes.