1988 Ford econ camper van OMG!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WanderingRose said:
I suggest a couple of nights at a nearby public campground, to try everything out and be sure things work.

You will also invariably find helpful others nearby who can answer questions and give some guidance if need be.

You’re gonna have a blast!

I am planning our first trip overnight - reading your reply made me smile as I can do this!  We have the camper to do so.  Not tomorrow but the next day as tomorrow is to take it to the mechanic to introduce them :)

Where are you located, I might be able to suggest some nice spots for you if you want to do boondocking. I can't recommend any RV parks since I don't stay in any except the one I use for work stay.

MizMaggie,  I'm assuming your Van has electronic Fuel Injection.  (not a carburetor)

But I've had very little trouble our of mine for nearly 15 years.   Just a few little things that I could replace the parts easily enough and they weren't expensive.   I've spent most of my time and money on making a cheap RV out of it like in the Van Conversion site below in the signature line.   

One of the handiest things I've installed was a wooden custom Van accessory I found in a wrecking yard.  It mounts atop of the inside engine cover.  You may already have one of these,  but if not you may find it handy.  There isn't a lot of storage space for small things in the front of Vans.  But these are nice organizers for Maps, Cells, beverage cups, coin purses, sun glasses, small flashlights,  and so forth.   I think you'll understand once you take your first "shakedown" tours to get some experiences with your rig.  I don't put anything on the dashboard between the windshield and dash.
I've read where mechanics have had to pull the heater fans & motors only to find spare keys, lipstick tubes, and other small trinkets which would fall into the defroster vents and foul the blower fan leaving the rig without it's heater/defroster.  Cluttered dash boards often attract law enforcement's attention too.  So I travel "neat & clean" and rarely have any problems. I always suggest finding a bumper sticker that deals with an Aircraft Pilots Associations, Country Clubs, Yacht Marinas, Horse Farms, or Vote for Judge Pick A Name, and such things as they suggest the owner of the vehicle is of means and that tends to dampen the LEO's intrigue for meddling with the owner/driver.

ford_82-91_drink_tray_walnut.jpg

Almost There said:
Where are you located, I might be able to suggest some nice spots for you if you want to do boondocking. I can't recommend any RV parks since I don't stay in any except the one I use for work stay.

I live in Cape Breton which is an island off of Nova Scotia on the east coast of Canada ... we retired here after living for 15 years in California.  I was born here so I know some great places to pull into.  If ever anyone is coming this way, be sure to let me know if I can be of help.

eDJ_ said:
MizMaggie,  I'm assuming your Van has electronic Fuel Injection.  (not a carburetor)

But I've had very little trouble our of mine for nearly 15 years.   Just a few little things that I could replace the parts easily enough and they weren't expensive.   I've spent most of my time and money on making a cheap RV out of it like in the Van Conversion site below in the signature line.   

One of the handiest things I've installed was a wooden custom Van accessory I found in a wrecking yard.  It mounts atop of the inside engine cover.  You may already have one of these,  but if not you may find it handy.  There isn't a lot of storage space for small things in the front of Vans.  But these are nice organizers for Maps, Cells, beverage cups, coin purses, sun glasses, small flashlights,  and so forth.   I think you'll understand once you take your first "shakedown" tours to get some experiences with your rig.  I don't put anything on the dashboard between the windshield and dash.
I've read where mechanics have had to pull the heater fans & motors only to find spare keys, lipstick tubes, and other small trinkets which would fall into the defroster vents and foul the blower fan leaving the rig without it's heater/defroster.  Cluttered dash boards often attract law enforcement's attention too.  So I travel  "neat & clean"  and rarely have any problems.  I always suggest finding a bumper sticker that deals with an Aircraft Pilots Associations, Country Clubs, Yacht Marinas, Horse Farms, or Vote for Judge Pick A Name,  and such things as they suggest the owner of the vehicle is of means and that tends to dampen the LEO's intrigue for meddling with the owner/driver.

Yours is newer looking but yes, it came with one!  Smiling so wide here ... I didn't know about all the things that could fall down so your heads up is very appreciated! Good idea on the decals too .. must appear a person of means ... grin.

eDJ_ said:

I've read where mechanics have had to pull the heater fans & motors only to find spare keys, lipstick tubes, and other small trinkets which would fall into the defroster vents and foul the blower fan leaving the rig without it's heater/defroster.  Cluttered dash boards often attract law enforcement's attention too.  So I travel  "neat & clean"  and rarely have any problems.  I always suggest finding a bumper sticker that deals with an Aircraft Pilots Associations, Country Clubs, Yacht Marinas, Horse Farms, or Vote for Judge Pick A Name,  and such things as they suggest the owner of the vehicle is of means and that tends to dampen the LEO's intrigue for meddling with the owner/driver.

Yours is newer looking but yes, it came with one!  Smiling so wide here ... I didn't know about all the things that could fall down so your heads up is very appreciated!

Attachments

• front of vinnie.jpg
    front of vinnie.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 9
Look for Bumper Stickers similar to this:

d75e1896b0b8122d5373c0e70d4a6980.jpg

images

images

License plate frames can make a statement too

images

You can always get something printed that will look like a dated permit and stick it on the windshield side of your rear view mirror.    Or find some kind of official looking sticker to put on the lower corner of the windshield that suggest 2019 members parking.  LEO's always look for this kind of stuff as they walk around your rig.   If they see dated stickers it will reinforce in their minds that the things may be legit. 

OK

Thanks so much for posting all this great info .. I will go on a treasure hunt for interesting stickers :)

B and C,    the thought is that if you are a state or two away from what the license plate on the rig shows.....or in the USA and not Canada........a LEO would be left to make some assumptions.   But being dressed clean and looking the part would 
help with those assumptions.  

EVEN a Good Sam or or KOA sticker on the front bumper wouldn't hurt.

And if one's Dues or Membership has expired.......what's that to the LEO.

eDJ_ said:
And if one's Dues or Membership has expired.......what's that to the LEO.

He may ask about it out of curiosity during the conversation.  Oh, so you like to "...", so do I.  What do you think about "..."?

Yes,  I can imagine a LEO running someone in and telling the Judge that they were displaying false and misleading bumper stickers.  I would think the LEO would be better off arresting a litter bug or citing a jay-walker than trying to make a case over bumper stickers.   Then it  may be entertaining to be sitting in the courtroom should this comes before the Judge.
Especially if the defendant were to state that they were already on the RV when they purchased it.

Why would it go like that? Just makes them suspicious if passing off as your own with no back story. Or just say it came with the van. Either way, figure out what you're gonna say if asked.

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

highdesertranger

here in NH!  looks awesome.  i just bought a 1997 Dodge Ram and the work it needs is on the outside!  Dull finish from FL sunshine kept outside and some rust but the previous owner took good care of the all the workings including 4 solar panes and 6 golf cart batteries...I really don't think I need that much but got it.  So congratulations may you have happy travels and some day our paths will meet!  Rhonda

I would love to meet up with you one of these days Rhonda.  Your rig sounds wonderful and wow, you are sure outfitted power wise .. we aren't other than the second battery but in time we will buy more ... I would love to see a pic of your rig  - happy trails indeed .. mizmaggie

MizMaggie said:
Thanks so much for posting all this great info .. I will go on a treasure hunt for interesting stickers :)

What about looking so rich that it invites those looking to steal equipment or just attract unwanted attention?