1988 Ford econ camper van OMG!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizMaggie

Reaction score
OK -- we did it!!  Black and blue from pinching myself.  We bought a 1988 ford econline camper van today.  It has 123 thousand miles on it ... 198 klms - Canucks here :)  This van has been babied, stored every winter. I am posting a photo of the outside, paint is awesome, chrome is amazing. Can you tell I am in love? It has a toilet in a wee bathroom.  stove, fridge, AC and a furnace .. 2 batteries and 2 gas tanks - comments welcome.  Cautions too :)  Please be happy for us - we are old - years only - we paid 9000 CDN
$_59.JPG

Congratulations - it looks like you got a great deal on a fantastic vehicle.

As to cautions - expect that a lot of the rubber, everything from hoses to door seals will need to be checked out and replaced as needed. Most importantly, check the tire dates and replace them if they are outdated even if they don't show cracking and dry rot.

Keep a mechanical repair fund in addition to the emergency fund you have - You do have an emergency fund don't you? You might get lucky and have money left over after it's all gone through and been on the road a couple of years but then again, better safe than broke.

Congrats! Nice looking rig. ^^^Everything she said.

Have you owned an RV before and know how to operate the systems?

Ohh hugs to all you darlings who answered my post!!  The tires are all new .. as is the rad and the water pump  - no, I have never owned an anything camper thing ... I am new .. so new I am a pasty white .. but I am so open to learning .. in the past years I have watched hundreds of you-tube vids .. read up on blogs .. haunted Carolyn and bobs vids ... heck, did what we could and still bought a house ... yes, well trained hoomans eh?? 
So there is still time to change .. we are picking up our rig tomorrow .. still to be named .. and we will take it home and see what we need to get .. hugs to you all .. and thank you for responding .. if you have one of these old vintage models please tell me what I need to do to ease her into this date in time .. xoxoxo MizMaggie

Almost there ... hugs to you hun .. I hope we are indeed, almost there #2

Hopefully the seller will walk you through all the systems. If it has holding tanks is where most noobs make their first major mistake. They pull into a campground, hookup the sewer hose, water line and plug in. When they hook up the sewer line, they usually open both valves and leave them open (DON'T). What this does is lets the liquids drain away leaving the solids behind and creating a poop pyramid in the black tank that is expensive to get fixed. The proper way to empty tanks is to let the black tank get at least 3/4 full before dumping and then dump the grey tank to rinse the hose out. You want to put a gallon of fresh water down the toilet into the black tank right away, never let it sit dry. If you want to dump before 3/4 full, add fresh water until it is.

Yeah, I'd replace all the rubber vacuum hoses right away, everything from front to back. Mine were literally crumbling to dust on a 1997, like black chalk on your hands from touching them. Vacuum leaks will reck havoc on engine systems and fuel mileage. I had a fuel filler neck coupling hose fail on a trip from California to Iowa. Nothing like a gallon of gasoline spilled under the RV while refueling to raise anxiety. It was one of very few failures I've ever had on the road. I had to locate someone in Iowa to fix it since it involved dropping the tank. A really great kid stayed late at work helping to get us back on the road. Nothing like Iowa hospitality... Aside from that, brake and front end inspection, fluid services. I like to use a pint of TransX in the transmissions and about 1 ounce in the power steering on older vehicles. It helps to replasticize the seals and break up any varnish prior to fluid changes. I re-add the same amount of TransX after fluid change.

Really nice. :D

Baby it like the 30 year old new-born it is and you'll be fine. Once everything gets changed/updated and fluids are replaced just drive and enjoy.

It is gorgeous!!!  I am so happy for you!  Wishing you much joy and happiness in her!

Matlock said:
Really nice.  :D

Baby it like the 30 year old new-born it is and you'll be fine. Once everything gets changed/updated and fluids are replaced just drive and enjoy.

That's what we plan on doing!!  So happy and when I sit in it, I can't believe it's 30 years old ... it's all like almost new :)

What kind folks are on this site .. thanks so much for your best wishes.

If it has been maintained on a regular basis you may not have to do a thing to that van. All hoses and lines may be up to date. If it has been parked under cover and checked over yearly my guess is just go out and enjoy it.

I am taking it to a mechanic but I did have my son look it over and all of the hoses and belts look new -- the radiator is new as is the water pump .. it was never left out in winter, stored inside once it got cold.  4 new tires so no worries there .. I have room for my fishing pole and plan on catching some trout and picking some fiddle heads soon.  Doing my happy dance here on my old pins!

B and C said:
Hopefully the seller will walk you through all the systems.  If it has holding tanks is where most noobs make their first major mistake.  They pull into a campground, hookup the sewer hose, water line and plug in.  When they hook up the sewer line, they usually open both valves and leave them open (DON'T).  What this does is lets the liquids drain away leaving the solids behind and creating a poop pyramid in the black tank that is expensive to get fixed.  The proper way to empty tanks is to let the black tank get at least 3/4 full before dumping and then dump the grey tank to rinse the hose out.  You want to put a gallon of fresh water down the toilet into the black tank right away, never let it sit dry.  If you want to dump before 3/4 full, add fresh water until it is.
 Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation!  You've been very helpful.

I suggest a couple of nights at a nearby public campground, to try everything out and be sure things work.

You will also invariably find helpful others nearby who can answer questions and give some guidance if need be.

You’re gonna have a blast!

Great Deal for you all  :)

That's the way to find one. 

I have a 90 E 350 extended high top that was an empty delivery Van.  I've fitted it out for my basic needs and it serves me well.  Mine has only one Gas Tank that carries 22 gallons.

I mention this as Fords have had a track history with the switching mechanism that automatically switches the tanks. (if yours is so equipped)   This was also on their Pick Up Trucks etc.   There are many Ford Forums where people talk about the solution and fixes they have found to assure reliability.  This is the only "heads up" I would want to offer you.  You may see some of this issue addressed here in the mechanical category too.   

The only problem I've had with my 351 V8 was an emission control component on the rear of the engine that blew apart when I was driving.  Made a awful sound but the engine still ran just fine.  A $20 dollar part and a 1 3/8 inch wrench unscrewed it after the hoses were removed from it.  I parked it and let it sit overnight for the motor to cool and it took less than a half hour for the repair.  I had to remove the engine cover from the inside.....we call that cover the "dog house"..... and it was fairly quick work to replace.

When I got mine I replaced the Distributor Cap & Rotor,  spark plugs, and ignition cables after driving it around a month.  It made a big difference as the former owner had done was fleet it with the most basic of maintenance. 

The biggest thing I've done with mine is to install an exterior pump behind my fuel tank.   The lift pumps Ford puts in the fuel tanks are not that dependable in my opinion.  

I used a pump like this one that cost less than $20 dollars and went to a auto wrecking yard and purchased fuel line parts to adapt the installation to my Van.  I left the old pump in the tank and this external pump draws fuel thru it with no problem.  

If you do this make sure to wrap the fuel pump with some rubber inner tube before installing the clamp over it.  This to insulate the sound cause they will be noisy without it.  IT has been Very Dependable since.  I spliced and ran the two wires from the plug that plugs into the fuel tank pump & gas gauge plug and ran those two wires over the top of the fuel tank to this external pump.  Now when I turn on the ignition switch,  I hear it begin to pump and then I hear the high pressure pump for the fuel injection pumping.  It is under the drivers seat along with the big fuel filter. (those pumps are reliable, but do change your filter once a year) 

I knew a guy who had a Ford Pick Up with the dual tanks who installed one of these pumps on each of the two tanks and he claimed it ran better than ever after that.  The pump that Ford uses is about 1/3 the size of these and much more expensive. 

s-l1600.jpg

WanderingRose said:
I suggest a couple of nights at a nearby public campground, to try everything out and be sure things work.

You will also invariably find helpful others nearby who can answer questions and give some guidance if need be.

You’re gonna have a blast!

Oh I hope so!!  We are hoping to come and go this summer and then if all seems road worthy, maybe sell our house and hit the road full time.  I am a dual citizen and my partner has landed immigrant status in Canada and is a US citizen so we shouldn't find border crossings very difficult .. I want to go to a rtr - I also want to park in a Walmart overnight (grin) .. life is short.

eDJ_ said:
Great Deal for you all  :)

That's the way to find one. 

I have a 90 E 350 extended high top that was an empty delivery Van.  I've fitted it out for my basic needs and it serves me well.  Mine has only one Gas Tank that carries 22 gallons.

I mention this as Fords have had a track history with the switching mechanism that automatically switches the tanks. (if yours is so equipped)   This was also on their Pick Up Trucks etc.   There are many Ford Forums where people talk about the solution and fixes they have found to assure reliability.  This is the only "heads up" I would want to offer you.  You may see some of this issue addressed here in the mechanical category too.   

The only problem I've had with my 351 V8 was an emission control component on the rear of the engine that blew apart when I was driving.  Made a awful sound but the engine still ran just fine.  A $20 dollar part and a 1 3/8 inch wrench unscrewed it after the hoses were removed from it.  I parked it and let it sit overnight for the motor to cool and it took less than a half hour for the repair.  I had to remove the engine cover from the inside.....we call that cover the "dog house"..... and it was fairly quick work to replace.

When I got mine I replaced the Distributor Cap & Rotor,  spark plugs, and ignition cables after driving it around a month.  It made a big difference as the former owner had done was fleet it with the most basic of maintenance. 

The biggest thing I've done with mine is to install an exterior pump behind my fuel tank.   The lift pumps Ford puts in the fuel tanks are not that dependable in my opinion.  

I used a pump like this one that cost less than $20 dollars and went to a auto wrecking yard and purchased fuel line parts to adapt the installation to my Van.  I left the old pump in the tank and this external pump draws fuel thru it with no problem.  

If you do this make sure to wrap the fuel pump with some rubber inner tube before installing the clamp over it.  This to insulate the sound cause they will be noisy without it.  IT has been Very Dependable since.  I spliced and ran the two wires from the plug that plugs into the fuel tank pump & gas gauge plug and ran those two wires over the top of the fuel tank to this external pump.  Now when I turn on the ignition switch,  I hear it begin to pump and then I hear the high pressure pump for the fuel injection pumping.  It is under the drivers seat along with the big fuel filter. (those pumps are reliable, but do change your filter once a year) 

I knew a guy who had a Ford Pick Up with the dual tanks who installed one of these pumps on each of the two tanks and he claimed it ran better than ever after that.  The pump that Ford uses is about 1/3 the size of these and much more expensive. 

Wow -- thank yo so much.  We do have the dual tanks and as we are taking it in tomorrow to get an oil change done - (one was done less than 1000 klms ago but we wanted a good base line to start ) and I am going to mention it to the mechanics there .. we are not very handy people in regards to mechanical things but we can learn .. we have every manual for the van and are pouring through them .. how great we have this place to come and get some valued advice.