1986 Dodge B-250 extended bubble-top van for an unconventional guy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am losing my mind and my summer as the van is in the parents driveway for the last three months. Summer is almost over and I haven't experienced ONE MILE of the open road. I call mechanics, friends and the like for help with almost no calls back; even when I put minimum wage promissory wealth on the table. I FEEL my work doesn't matter, with the feeling in the end my work won't even matter because I FEEL my work amounts to ****; based upon past experiences. I feel I will never see the fruits of my labor, because I FEEL every time I begin to make headway I have another setback.

I hit a major milestone on Monday the week of July 27th, 2014. After long hot days under the van lifting the plastic gas tank and mounting it up, replacing the fuel filter and bypassing the charcoal canister. I mounted the carb on Monday with the rubber fuel line patch. I am now able to start the van but only for a second, as the engine revvs up like it's flooring it; unable to smooth idle. I now need to adjust the air/fuel ratio and idle speed on the carb and I need help.

I will post pictures of the milestone after someone replies to this post, because I feel my dreams go unlived and my post are soft-censored by US Intelligence agencies.

Did you ever feel the need to get a service manual for your van? The carb, I guarantee you, feels that you should identify it. After it is identified, you can google that type of carb and you will likely find TONS of info on it because they were used on millions of vehicles over many years. Likewise, you can google specific problems like, "Thermoquad revs high" or "how to adjust a Rochester Quadrajet",etc.

BTW: In case you didn't know--"Like is a bit*h and then you die"

slow2day said:
Did you ever feel the need to get a service manual for your van? The carb, I guarantee you, feels that you should identify it. After it is identified, you can google that type of carb and you will likely find TONS of info on it because they were used on millions of vehicles over many years. Likewise, you can google specific problems like, "Thermoquad revs high" or "how to adjust a Rochester Quadrajet",etc.
Latest progress, I can see the finish line. Here are the latest carb pictures as promised:
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Ru...Aug-05 seeing the finish line for fuel system"></iframe>

Yes, I bought a CHILTONs months ago. It has details on fuel systems and Holley carbs for each year/region/model. It has been very helpful indeed. The carb is a Holley 2barrel 2280 Part # R40214. I went to a local store today The Carburetor Pros in San Jose, and learned about my carb and had adjustments done.

Later today I reinstalled the carb and plugged the outlet and inlet bypassing the charcoal canister which I have not replaced. Duct tape was used on the carburetors respective ports as a temporary solution until I can acquire a new charcoal canister. I made no additional adjustments before starting the van up.

For the first time in four months, the engine was able to idle. Smooth at first glance, then began progressively to show inconsistencies. This idle symptom is like what was before, how can I remedy this? I recorded three videos. First one of cranking (fuel being delivered to the carb), second of first idle, third video with second idle. Afterwards I operated the van for the first time in four months (since the fire), driving in reverse for one foot to park on some paver blocks put on the parents driveway. This was so to level the van to have better nights sleep tonight.

MAJOR MILESTONE accomplished tonight. This brings me one giant leap closer to Black Rock City, the temporary city comprising Burning Man. I WILL BE traveling with this van to Burning Man 2014, anybody else here attending Burning Man 2014??

Today is so far a good day, like Ice Cube would say. I drove the van dead-stop free five times around the neighborhood, and to TACO BELL and back as a celebratory meal. For the first time in four months, the van is running OK.

When accelerating the van for a green light, I could see through the mirror visible black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. After parking the hood was too hot to touch, after a short drive of less than three miles. I plan to replace a quart of the oil with LUCAS Oil Stabilizer, already bought from O'REILLY Auto Parts.

After I parked and turned off the engine, knocking occurs, then after knocking, an audible & visible "cough" from the intake manifold. The "cough" happened every time I parked and turned off the engine. It resembles the carb barfing up black smoke. Black smoke is because of too much fuel and too little oxygen coming into the carb. The last thing I want is to have to clean the carb again because of not adjusting the air/fuel mixture.

When accelerating on surface streets for a green-light visible black smoke is coming out the exhaust pipe. A side note the CO detector in the back of the van went off as I drove, and I had the front windows open for fresh air. I could smell the engine from the drivers seat.

This is a milestone, one giant leap closer to Burning Man 2014. One step closer to going fulltime with this van.

Here are the videos I mentioned in the last post:
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid261.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii56%2FRubixCS%2FVan%2520modifications%2520process%2F2014-Aug-05%2520seeing%2520the%2520finish%2520line%2520for%2520fuel%2520system%2FIMGP0901.mp4&title=first%20idle%20-%20holley%20carb%20aug%205%202014">

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid261.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii56%2FRubixCS%2FVan%2520modifications%2520process%2F2014-Aug-05%2520seeing%2520the%2520finish%2520line%2520for%2520fuel%2520system%2FIMGP0903.mp4&title=cranking%20engine%20-%20holley%20carb%20aug%205%202014">

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid261.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii56%2FRubixCS%2FVan%2520modifications%2520process%2F2014-Aug-05%2520seeing%2520the%2520finish%2520line%2520for%2520fuel%2520system%2FIMGP0902.mp4&title=">
Recommendations? Advice? Comments?

The black smoke is unburnt fuel (reffered to as "too rich"). The sputter and coughing is called "dieseling" which happens when there is a lot of unburnt fuel left in the engine so it continues to run on that, even though you turned the engine off.

Basically, the carb needs to be tuned. The mixture of fuel vs air is too high. There should be screws on the carb to make this adjustment (check youtube videos). Just be sure to not go too far the other way ("referred to as "too lean") as it will actually damage the motor.

Debitservis, Glad to hear you're rolling! Re: black smoke, yes you are too rich on the adjustments. If you can actually see the two jet screws carefully count the half turns it takes 'til those jets are seated. Turn them both out about 2 and a 1/2 turns. (5 half turns) and check by starting to see how it runs. You may have to fiddle w/each jet.

Another way is have vehicle running and turn in each jet 'til motor starts to sound different and then back out 1/2 turn. You'll be close to where it should be.

Sounds like you may have a timing issue also. If you're happy w/jet settings loosen bolt on distributor and carefully twist distributor to see if motor smooths out. Make a mark on intake manifold and distributor so you can put it back as you found it. I use a vacuum gauge full time that tells me if all is set right. This also allows you to know how much gas pedal to push to achieve maximum MPG.

On the back of the carb, there are two adjustment screws for fuel/air mixture. Does one adjustment screw control fuel and the other air? I just adjusted the rear right screw on the carb, already I can tell much leaner performance. Do I need to adjust the rear left screw too? The same way?

Just remember not too go too far "lean" as it will damage the motor.

Again, I would recommend searching on YouTube for a guide on your specific carb. Surely there will be a video .

debit, i would turn in each jet seperately 'til motor starts to stumble and then back out 'til motor smooths out.
sounds like you're getting close.
then i would take it out on hwy. to check the visual of exhaust and then shut motor down to see if it still "runs on"
if it still runs on it is your timing.
let me know if you want me to walk you through the timing adjustment.
turning it (dist,) clockwise is advancing timing -motor will speed up.
turning counterclockwise retards timing.
I would advance it at first til motor speeds up then turn it counter clockwise 'til it levels out. then you need to turn it just a bit more to get where you need to be. my motor does'nt run right if i set it to specs so my vacuum gauge tells me when i'm there.

These last three days saw a lot of mods, I'll list them by day:

Saturday August 9th:
-A thing I can not remember right now.
-Grounded the van by taking a green colored copper house wire. A self tapping screw "drilled" in an existing hole under the van behind gas tank for one end, the other stripped end touching the ground dragging along as the van travels.
-Discovered rear 12v outlet below airplane tray table is connected to deep cycle battery. Desire to add second 12v outlet next to it.
-Added reverse-osmosis water into both starter and deep cycle battery, to the brim which might be too much.
-Installed AC lamp over bed.

Sunday August 10th:
-Acquired a replacement tailpipe piece at OREILLYs for the end, which didn't fit. (this is to pass smog)
-Acquired a white and an orange car window marker, something I always wanted.
-Cleaned front windows & rear-view mirrors.
-Cut the remainder of the bent-out-of-shape tailpipe with a reciprocating saw.
-Went back to OREILLYs to exchange pipe to discover they're closed, wasted trip.
-Added a ground wire for closet inverter and circuit breakers (wired to starter battery)

Monday August 11th:
-Checked tire pressure and filled tires to 40 PSI with air compressor.
-First errand, Went to OREILLYs to exchange tailpipe with something that fit.
-Second errand, went to the credit union to take out cash to pay for propane.
-Third errand, went to SUBURBAN Propane to fill vans built in RV propane tank. Tank is 4.7 gallons, cost 21.57 FRN$.
-Fourth errand, went to The Carburetor Pros in San Jose to have the store owner do parking lot adjustments on fuel intake on carb. Learned that the carb needle and float is not closing since it's dirty, and I really do not want to clean this carb again. Carb reservoir is overflowing, not a critical problem but cuts into fuel economy. Timing on engine is off and needs adjustment. The store owner did these adjustments at no charge! I owe The Carburator Pros a 5-star YELP review, the van is back to running at 4/5 stars.
-As soon as I got home, I investigated a propane leak because I smelled propane as soon as I left SUBURBAN propane. I tested the vans propane heater, and it fired and blew heat when I touched the two black wires together (the thermostat might need replacement. because I mis-wired thermostat one day and a spark was experienced within the thermostat)
-Tried turning on the propane mode of the vans 12v DC/120 AC/propane fridge, followed the instructions to come back to the interior of van smelling of propane. It's not just money blowing into the wind it's fucking dangerous in a high enough concentration. I need to call CAMPING WORLD south of Morgan Hill and see if they can take a look at the van fridge, and tune it up if need be.
-Replaced rusted and possibly burned out 50A 12v circuit breaker for positive wiring to fridge and other van appliance I do not know of.
-Went back to OREILLYs because I discovered the vans clear fuel filter had black specs in it. So I acquired a fuel filter for hot-rods, a clear glass fuel filter with changeable filter cartridges. I do NOT plan to replace the brass fuel lines on this 26 year old van, so I invested in a fuel filter assembly with replaceable filter cartridges.
-Installed hot rod fuel filter, since the filter is so long I had to push the rubbed hoses into the fuel lines.
-Scrubbed and used my hands to wipe off some more of the soot from the intake manifold fire. Hand cleaner is not just for your hands, it is useful for cleaning jobs like this. Used a spray bottle and my hands to make the surface under the hood clean-er.
-Did a test drive around the neighborhood to evaporate some of the water that dripped under the hood, and see how my jammed in exhaust pipe held. The exhaust pipe stayed put. Van idling now changed from decent to wayy-too-low, if I did not press the gas at a stop sign; in ten seconds the rpm falls and engine stalls. Might need to adjust idle-speed on the carb?
-Began to grind to bare metal front section of hood where metal DODGE emblem is, plan to finish and spray paint that section black. News cars today have their logo composites in puny plastic. Removed metal DODGE emblem on hood.
-Went inside the parents house and called it a day.

Will post pictures tommorow. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Advice?

Debit, hope it's running right for you now!
If you don't want to buy a muffler clamp for that tail pipe piece consider making sure it's on as far as it will go and put a screw thru it to hold it.
That could cause some problems if it fell off while driving.
Happy Trails!

After I cleaned the fuel system and got the van in a running state for the Burning Man trip, I haven't uncovered the dog house since. The van had no mechanical issues on the Burning Man trip other than a loose screw completing the starting circuit. The timing belt still needs to be properly timed, carburator low idle needs notching up with needle and seat cleaned (still running too rich). I do not plan on passing California smog since the van title is being transferred to the STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA.

Other than that mods include a brand-new 5000 BTU HAIER AC unit installed in the back window, permanent dash camera & basic closet.

Grounded the van by taking a green colored copper house wire. A self tapping screw "drilled" in an existing hole under the van behind gas tank for one end, the other stripped end touching the ground dragging along as the van travels.

What . . . is this for?
A SEEKER

seeker said:
Grounded the van by taking a green colored copper house wire. A self tapping screw "drilled" in an existing hole under the van behind gas tank for one end, the other stripped end touching the ground dragging along as the van travels.

What . . . is this for?

Electrical grounding, not just for the electrical system but for human beings as well. Mainstream science lies that grounding you body does nothing to improve your health.

Also, this thread is getting revived with new pictures, new progress, and new lessons learned. I have NOT forgotten about sharing the van progress.

Latest posts