1986 Dodge B-250 extended bubble-top van for an unconventional guy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uhm looks like you had a bit of a fire? Hope yer OK man!

Oops. A little too much from the spray bottle perhaps?

This is extremely unfortunate. The good news is it all looks mostly cosmetic with maybe a few wires burnt. Parts are all over for those things and cheap. Not much consolation I know but the only direction to move here is forward.

Simran said:
This is extremely unfortunate. The good news is it all looks mostly cosmetic with maybe a few wires burnt. Parts are all over for those things and cheap. Not much consolation I know but the only direction to move here is forward.

Yes there was a fire when puddles of gas on the air intake manifold ignited. The band-aid fuel delivery system consisting of a spray bottle with gas and a coffee cup with a tiny hole poked in the bottom was a powderkeg in the making. One mile away from home it ignited lighting up the interior of the van to the point I couldn't see. Once I realized I couldn't see I merged to the shoulder and hit the brakes when I ran the front tire against the soundwall. When it happened I thought I hit another car, a post or worse scraped the van against the soundwall. I took a fire extinguisher and in panic pulled the pin, and a few seconds later traumatized squeezed the trigger to release the dry chemical powder inside. Afterwards the fire department showed up, inspected the van (which I was sure the engine was in running order). The police show up, treating us as we were suspects forcing me and my friend Brian to not leave with the van. The police called a tow truck which costed me for a one mile tow and ride 195 FRN$$$. IF I wasn't a dirtmoney welfare slave I could have bought AAA roadside assistance the top plan for 90 FRN$. ONE YEAR of it, 50 miles free towing, gas tank fills to the nearest gas station and tire changes. Last nights tow would have been free I could simply afford preventive expenses like roadside assiatance. However I HAVE TO spend FIVE TIMES the TIME, ENERGY & MONETARY FIGURES on things as compared to people with a few hundred more monthly monetary income. That is my life apparently, to make 5 steps forward and 2 to 4 steps back.

A few days ago I cleaned the van. I used WINDEX on the windshield, cab doors, and rear windows. I took out a lot of stuff inside the van because the inside was cluttered and my dad will have the van towed to the CHRYSLER/JEEP/DODGE CJD dealership. He will pay top monetary figures to this dealership on top of the 95 FRN$ to have it towed to the dealership. Considering $90 a year is the cost of the highest tier of AAA ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, he is just throwing his money away. If anyone can fix the fuel issues the DODGE dealership can. the dealer work would be worth it when they fix the fuel issues and I get a reliable van again able to travel long distances this summer. Any thoughts?

Today I permanently wired the backup camera, installed a CB radio with it's antenna & re-connected the propane heater thermostat wires. I will post the latest pictures when PHOTOBUCKET comes online again, apparently they're doing maintenance.

debit.servus said:
The band-aid fuel delivery system consisting of a spray bottle with gas and a coffee cup with a tiny hole poked in the bottom was a powderkeg in the making. One mile away from home it ignited lighting up the interior of the van to the point I couldn't see. Once I realized I couldn't see I merged to the shoulder and hit the brakes when I ran the front tire against the soundwall.

Wait...you were DRIVING the thing down the road with this setup?? Neither Simran nor I thought that we would need to caution you that this was a temporary method meant only to confirm whether it was a fuel issue or not!

Working with gasoline, propane, electricity, etc. requires a certain amount of common sense. If you don't have it to begin with, you can buy it with episodes such as this. You're very lucky the fire wasn't much worse and you weren't burned to a crisp.

A good lesson on roadside assistance. If you can possibly budget for it, have one. Good Sam is $80 for first year. Its on spring sale at Camping World right now for $70. I think the renewal is $113.
It would be worth it to me even if I had to have them come out and change a tire.

Check with your insurance company. Most if not all offer a roadside assistance program. Geico was $12 for six months, Progressive was $14. I don't know how much towing is covered but I've had them change a tire, unlock my van when I left the keys on the seat, and bring me gas. Certainly worth a few bucks

I second this. I had no idea you'd try to create some makes shift fuel delivery system to DRIVE the thing with. That would have been unnecessary. All you needed to do is verify that it would run correctly thereby eliminating one problem or the other. YIKES!!

slow2day said:
Wait...you were DRIVING the thing down the road with this setup?? Neither Simran nor I thought that we would need to caution you that this was a temporary method meant only to confirm whether it was a fuel issue or not!

Working with gasoline, propane, electricity, etc. requires a certain amount of common sense. If you don't have it to begin with, you can buy it with episodes such as this. You're very lucky the fire wasn't much worse and you weren't burned to a crisp.

So glad you're safe and sound and it didn't become more serious.
Last two posters make me finally comprehend what was going on from your description...=:0

If I was your father, I'd tell you that you were on your own after that little stunt, and wouldn't give you a single dime!!

If you're old enough to get yourself into a situation like this, then you're old enough to get out of it too. Time to man up son!!

Sorry...but I sent myself down this road myself when I was a youngster too, and had to dig myself out of the hole I put myself into as well. Sure learned alot along the way.

Glad yer ok. PHEW driving around with a temp fuel set up like that was... well "Youthfooly Exuberant". But boy I'll bet you went to the store and bought a new set of underwear after that! THAT'LL LEARN YA!

steamjam1 said:
Glad yer ok. PHEW driving around with a temp fuel set up like that was... well "Youthfooly Exuberant". But boy I'll bet you went to the store and bought a new set of underwear after that! THAT'LL LEARN YA!

You are in the Bay Area, or was it another poster? I didn't need another pair of undies however I need a new fire extinguisher ASAP, before my next trip.

Those last images display some permanent electrical wiring & installations. There is still alot more to be done inside functionally before I begin thinking cosmetically. At this point I AM not going to put loads of new stuff in a 26 year-old van, so I will be scaling back the four major mods to the desires and needs.

Patrick46 said:
If I was your father, I'd tell you that you were on your own after that little stunt, and wouldn't give you a single dime!!

If you're old enough to get yourself into a situation like this, then you're old enough to get out of it too. Time to man up son!!

Sorry...but I sent myself down this road myself when I was a youngster too, and had to dig myself out of the hole I put myself into as well. Sure learned alot along the way.

>waves finger< now now now. . . now then. . . f*cking up and poochin yer program up sometimes is part of youth. . . be tolerant! Haha

Welp, met up with Debit and looked at his van.

I've never seen a float bowl half full of rust particles (Like sand) in my life. Cleaned out the carburetor, changed the spark plugs, and the van fired right up and ran fine. It still has a vacuum leak at the carb base gasket which will need to be replaced, and his fuel tank either needs to be boiled out, or replaced, but other then that it's a decent van ..:)

Hey, it's great you could help him out! So I guess the replacement carb wasn't a 'new' or rebuilt...must have come from a yard. I thought all those old Dodge extended vans had the 35 gallon plastic tanks and therefore no rust. Hmmm...

slow2day said:
Hey, it's great you could help him out! So I guess the replacement carb wasn't a 'new' or rebuilt...must have come from a yard. I thought all those old Dodge extended vans had the 35 gallon plastic tanks and therefore no rust. Hmmm...

Oh yeeaaaaaahhh it is plastic isn't it. i think. Im a gonna haveto look under my van to see. I seem to remember something about dodges and plastic fuel tanks. I must be getting old.