1986 Chevy G30 Hi-Cube

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisolsen

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I recently bought a [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1986 Chevy G30 Hi-Cube box truck with pretty low miles. Now that the weather has gotten better its time to get it road worthy and finish the interior and exterior build. I have some ideas of what I want to do, but was looking for thoughts and ideas so I dont make mistakes others already have. This is a 6.2L diesel with a box heater in the rear. I am not looking to live out of this rig, but interested in the weekend warrior camper. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So far I have stripped the interior, insulated, replaced any rusty floor metal, Replaced wood subfloor, sheet vinyl flooring, swivel passenger chair, roof rack over cab, solar power with 295 Amp hr (2) 6V batteries, Led interior lights. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I have searched high and low for parts for this truck, but keep coming up empty handed. I would really like to replace all of the rubber door seals and trim on this truck. Anyone have any insight as to where I can find some parts?  [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Here are a few pictures of what im working on. [/font]

Attachments

• 20170209_174755.jpg
    20170209_174755.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20170131_111413.jpg
    20170131_111413.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20170210_141930.jpg
    20170210_141930.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170421_200218.jpg
    20170421_200218.jpg
    825.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170518_170757.jpg
    20170518_170757.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 21
Here are a few drawings of what im thinking about doing for this old rig.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 14
No help here, sorry. Just wanted to say that looks like an awesome vehicle!

That looks like a nice rig to do a build on. I would try ebay or google search to find door seals.

way cool. a member here, Artic Cat has one of those, I believe another member has one but I can't recall their name at the moment. if you have problem finding parts ask away. all the front door seals are all available brand new. I will try to find the link, I know LMC has them and I think so does JC Whitney. all the motor parts are available as are the transmission parts, in fact for an older vehicle it has a very good part support. a hint on the 6.2, check your harmonic balancer if the rubber is cracked at all replace it immediately. there are several choices for them including OEM. the best one your could put on it is a Fluid Damper they are pricey but last forever and work better then all the others. a 6.2 is by far the least expensive diesel you can own. their cousin the 6.5 is still in production and most of the parts are interchangeable I am going to do a build thread on a 6.2, probably start it in a couple of weeks. any questions ask away. highdesertranger

travisolsen said:
Hey guys and gals,
<-------->
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I have searched high and low for parts for this truck, but keep coming up empty handed. I would really like to replace all of the rubber door seals and trim on this truck. Anyone have any insight as to where I can find some parts?  [/font]

Hi, You might want to check out arctic cat's thread then because he has been building one just like yours.
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Converting-a-1986-G30-Van-for-Expeditioning

highdesertranger said:
way cool.  a member here,  Artic Cat has one of those,  I believe another member has one but I can't recall their name at the moment.  if you have problem finding parts ask away.  all the front door seals are all available brand new.  I will try to find the link,  I know LMC has them and I think so does JC Whitney.  all the motor parts are available as are the transmission parts,  in fact for an older vehicle it has a very good part support.  a hint on the 6.2,  check your harmonic balancer  if the rubber is cracked at all replace it immediately.  there are several choices for them including OEM.  the best one your could put on it is a Fluid Damper they are pricey but last forever and work better then all the others.  a 6.2 is by far the least expensive diesel you can own.  their cousin the 6.5 is still in production and most of the parts are interchangeable I am going to do a build thread on a 6.2,  probably start it in a couple of weeks.   any questions ask away.  highdesertranger

Thank you sir. I have changed the HB and got the heart of the beast running really well. I appreciate your help, and look forward to your thread on the 6.2. I just rebuilt a 6.2 with a friend for his hi-cube. If you need any pictures of anything in particular, let me know.

HDR, on some other forums I've been reading bad things about LMC,,whats your exp. with them been like. i read good things about ROCKAUTO,JEGS,SUMMIT, any idea about quality?

LMC is funny, some stuff is really good some stuff is junk. I have had good luck with their door seals, carpet, and small rubber parts. I need to order some more stuff in a couple of months I will let everyone know about the quality. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
LMC is funny,  some stuff is really good some stuff is junk.  I have had good luck with their door seals,  carpet, and small rubber parts.  I need to order some more stuff in a couple of months I will let everyone know about the quality.  highdesertranger

Thanks for the recommendation on LMC . I will pick up new seals for the front doors from them. I am having a tough time finding seals for the rear doors and windows. May have to improvise and make some seals.

TO,as far as rear door seals go just look around the net or hardware store, its too bad you don't have an old family owned hardware store because they could look at it and would know the perfect substitute, so,,thats what YOU have to do. remember your not trying to do a Pebble Beach Concours quality restoration,,,you just don't want the door to leak. i wonder if just replacing the door, frame and all might be a way to go, it had to be gotten from somebody some ware .

apon looking at those seals under magnification they look a lot like a type of garage door seal,,i know I've seen em before. exhaust all options, i bet if they are unique ,,,,bend over and spread em

Artic Cat said he replace his rear door seals with some from the hardware store. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Artic Cat said he replace his rear door seals with some from the hardware store.  highdesertranger

I will keep my eyes open next time I am at the hardware store. I have been out of town for the past few weeks for work, so the progress is on hold for a little while. Ohh well... it gives me time to think about wiring.

Hey guys and gals,

I recently bought a [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1986 Chevy G30 Hi-Cube box truck with pretty low miles. Now that the weather has gotten better its time to get it road worthy and finish the interior and exterior build. I have some ideas of what I want to do, but was looking for thoughts and ideas so I dont make mistakes others already have. This is a 6.2L diesel with a box heater in the rear. I am not looking to live out of this rig, but interested in the weekend warrior camper.

So far I have stripped the interior, insulated, replaced any rusty floor metal, Replaced wood subfloor, sheet vinyl flooring, swivel passenger chair, roof rack over cab, solar power with 295 Amp hr (2) 6V batteries, Led interior lights.

I have searched high and low for parts for this truck, but keep coming up empty handed. I would really like to replace all of the rubber door seals and trim on this truck. Anyone have any insight as to where I can find some parts?

Here are a few pictures of what im working on. [/font]
I recently got one of these vans myself, are they already insulated on the walls and ceiling?

Welcome Duckling! You may not get an answer as the thread is 6.5 years old but box trucks usually don't come insulated but are easy to do.