1500 vs 2500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhawksw

Reaction score
Could someone explain in non mechanical terms what I would experience as the difference between a Chevy or GMC 1500 vs. 2500 cargo van? I had been looking for a 2500, just figuring I'd pick in the one in middle :rolleyes:  but someone asked me why I didn't just get a 1500 and I couldn't really answer them.  I don't intend to tow or weigh my van down with a lot of wood on the inside, so I wouldn't think I'd be adding that much weight.  Would the 1500 get better gas mileage? Is one a better, as in longer lasting engine? I assume the 2500 would have more power, but if I can drive a Camry in the mountains loaded with a trunk full of supplies, wouldn't a 1500 be fine? 
Thanks!

The 2500 is built stronger with better suspention, motor and transmission choices. No difference in mileage.  Also better resale value.

2500 can do everything 1500 can...and then some.

Generally speaking the 2500 will have a slightly beefier frame, bigger brakes, stronger springs, maybe more in the way of transmission cooling, possibly a bigger radiator, stuff like that.

The body and interior will be virtually the same.

It does mean that the 2500 will weigh more empty, and that might cause a very small increase in fuel use, but who drives a van around empty for very long? Not most of us. The empty or lightly loaded ride of a 2500 will always be a bit harsh and noisier compared to a 1500. This is usually because of the higher ratings on the tires and springs. That difference will be flipped when both are heavily loaded.

Sometimes the size of the motor, the rear end ratios, and the trailer hauling ratings are different.

I have actually seen where the trailer ratings are LOWER for a 2500 than for a 1500, simply because the motor and driveline are the same, but the 1500 weighs a bit less so it could haul more. This is rare, but it can happen...

If you see the van as more of a people-mover and a light duty camper, then probably a 1500 is fine. But if you plan on loading it with water, supplies, food, propane tanks, a roof rack, cabinets, 2 dogs and their food, a big old ice chest, Uncle Herb and his wife, and the kitchen sink, literally, and then attaching a loaded trailer, I'd look at the 2500 or maybe the 3500.

Due to CAFE fuel requirements, GM dropped the 1500 series in the 2015 model year. Ford dropped the low payload E150 in 2008 and significantly upgraded it so that there is basically no difference with the E250.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E-Series
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif]Begin quote: "As part of the 2008 update of the E-Series, the chassis underwent several updates. Although the Twin I-Beam front suspension was carried over (becoming one of two Ford vehicle to use the system, other is superduty chassis), other upgrades to the braking, suspension and steering systems improved ride and handling, braking performance and load carrying capability.[/font][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif][size=x-small][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif][16][/font]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E-Series#cite_note-16[/font][/size][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, 'Nimbus Sans L', Arial, 'Liberation Sans', sans-serif] The chassis and suspension improvements increased in the maximum gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) from 14,050 lb (6373 kg) to a class-leading 14,500 lb (6577 kg). Additionally, the maximum front gross axle weight rating (GAWR) is increased by about 10 percent, from 4,600 lb (2087 kg) to a class-leading 5,000 lb (2268 kg)." End quote[/font]

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/06/gm-quietly-cancels-1500-versions-of-full-size-vans.html

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Begin quote: "Come the 2015 model year, shoppers will find no more light-duty full-size vans from GM. Taking a cue from their full-size peers, the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana will drop their 1500 light-duty versions for 2015.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That means all remaining Express and Savana models will exceed the 8,500-pound gross vehicle weight rating — the government's threshold for light- and heavy-duty vehicles. The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter doesn't offer a 1500 version, and the E-Series' light-duty E-150 passed the 8,500-pound line after the 2006 model year — as does the 2014 Ram ProMaster and most versions of the new 2015 Ford Transit.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We chatted with GM about the decision.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We recognize that the van space has changed radically," Joe Langhauser, product manager for GM's full-size vans, told us. "The 1500-series van was the last vehicle [of its type] that has been produced in North America that was under 8,500 pounds, and it had some very unique attributes to it."[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Those included a unique front suspension and GM's old, fourth-gen 4.3-liter V-6 — "the last gen-four engine that GM made," Langhauser said.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GM builds the Savana and Express at its Wentzville, Mo. plant — a facility northwest of St. Louis that's received more than half a billion dollars' investment, including a new stamping plant, to accommodate the upcoming next-gen Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickup trucks.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Customers for the full-size vans, meanwhile, overwhelmingly prefer the 2500, 3500 and 4500 versions. Light-duty (1500) versions account for just 23 percent of Express and 7 percent of Savana sales, GM sales spokesman Jim Cain said.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 1500s "would become a very low-volume-production product," Langhauser added. "With the Colorado coming into the [Wentzville] facility, there was a lot of unique space that was dedicated to the 1500-series van line. We were able to utilize that space much more effectively for [the midsize] trucks."[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What about those 1500-series shoppers? GM officials didn't seem worried.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We knew we could move a lot of our 1500 customers into 2500-series territory," Langhauser said. Others would switch to a smaller van.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Customers are either getting a lot bigger or a lot smaller," said GM fleet and commercial spokesman Robert Wheeler. "For GM, the 1500 was the only option out there. That was our smallest van, if you will. Now that we've added the [Chevrolet] City Express," a reference to GM's new-for-2015 small cargo van.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That doesn't mean the Express and Savana 1500 are gone for good. But anything below 8,500 pounds GVWR — which necessitates everything from domestic-parts content to fuel-economy ratings — won't return.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Would we ever bring back that [1500] badging and that labeling? Potentially, but it will always be over 8,500 pounds in that space," Langhauser said. "There are a lot of regulatory changes that occur at 8,500 pounds."   End quote[/font]

This world isn said:
Due to CAFE fuel requirements, GM dropped the 1500 series in the 2015 model year.
All good information, but, for my answer, I assumed the OP was looking at used vans...maybe that was an error on my part.

Then look at the 2008 E150.  Payloads jumped significantly. Google the change.

I don't know about the GMC vans, but the Chevy Express 1500s usually have a V6 engine, whereas the 2500 and 3500 have a V8.

Good information here...My 1997 Chevy Express 1500 has a V8: Engine5.7L V8 OHV 16V

I had a 1966 Ford 144 cubic inch 6 cylinder, three speed manual transmission cargo van with a light weight bed across the back. With nothing else in the van but a backpack and a friend it did fine at 55 MPH or slower. When I took my motorcycle it struggled going up hills down to 35 MPH. Needless to say I took back roads when traveling with the bike. Small light weight under powered vans do fine if you use them like a steel tent and don't need anymore than a backpack and a light weight bed. Start adding water, solar or a generator and all that goes with full timing and you will wish you had a larger more powerful heavy duty van

introverting said:
I don't know about the GMC vans, but the Chevy Express 1500s usually have a V6 engine, whereas the 2500 and 3500 have a V8.

My 2004 Chevy Express 1500 also has a V8 5.7L

V6 or V8 are options

One other thing is the cost of repairs and maintenance will likely be slightly higher on the heavier vehicles.

My '96 1500 Express also has the V8 5.7L.  Even with all our stuff, it's lighter than it was, since we removed an electric sofa/bed and two captains' seats.  With good shocks and tires, it rides like a car.  (I had a '95 Camry, and that trunk could hold tons of stuff!)

A 2500 (also known as a 3/4 ton) is built to handle heavier loads than a 1500 (also known as a half ton). That means (among other things) a 2500 will have stiffer springs. Stiffer springs mean a harsher ride if the van isn't loaded to the levels it was designed to handle. No big deal on good pavement, but on bad pavement and unpaved roads it means a miserable ride. The suspension will flex less and transmit more bumps and vibration to the rest of the van and to you. The van (and you) suffer more stress and fatigue.

Someone will pipe in any second to say, "Well, you should air down your tires when off pavement." You can, but it means having a pump that can re-inflate up to 80lbs. And having to stop to deflate-inflate-deflate-inflate is as annoying as having your teeth rattled loose on a dirt road. And if you forget to re-inflate before driving on pavement you shorten the life of the tires and compromise the handling.

On the plus side, 3/4 ton vans usually have a little more ground clearance. And stiffer springs mean they rock less in side winds (whether driving or camped).

Most people are bad at judging how little or how much all their stuff weighs. I see grossly overloaded half tons and lightly loaded 3/4 tons. I'm one of the latter. Maybe I should salvage some lead somewhere to add some weight.

I have a 3/4 ton Express.

^^^Just get a few more batteries, carry more water or start collecting rocks as lead is bad for you! Lol!!!

On my 9th van in a 24 year time span. Got a 1 ton 14 bolt extended with 350/400. Power is right, suspension is right. Couldn't be happier. Had full size (not enough room) had 305 (gutless wonder) had caravan (electric nightmare) and trannies slip more than James Browns' shoes across an ice skating rink.

It's very hard to find something wrong with the durability of a 14bolt 350/400 combo. Highdesertranger

Then look at the 2008 E150. Payloads jumped significantly. Google the change.
Wat h out for the ford triton 5.4. Cam phasers issues related to sludge build up. Solution? New engine with upgraded oiling.

My '96 1500 Express also has the V8 5.7L. Even with all our stuff, it's lighter than it was, since we removed an electric sofa/bed and two captains' seats. With good shocks and tires, it rides like a car. (I had a '95 Camry, and that trunk could hold tons of stuff!)
Theres debate over which is better. 5.3 or 5.7. From what i can tell they're both awesome motors. You may get rear main seal leaks, but it shouldn't leave you stranded.
I bought a 98 passenger van. 3500 with the 454 from a 90 yr old who custom ordered it. 250000 miles. Converting it to a camper.
I have a 19 ft boat that i towed with my 2000 silverado. Itll shift up and down. I towed it with the van and you wouldnt even know its back there (except for the 8mpg). But it gets 14mpg unloaded.

Attachments

• 20201206_083415.jpg
    20201206_083415.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 1