1200. Coronavirus Payment & SSI / VA Pension

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_maiden

Reaction score
Ok, making a quick information drive by ;) to help anyone that doesn't know this.

If you do not file taxes due to receiving SSI or VA pension benefits only... YOU MUST FILE A SIMPLE TAX RETURN TO GET YOUR CHECK!

A lot of media are reporting confusing information that Social Security recipients automatically get them. but this does not apply to people who are getting SSI or VA Pensions. Only SS recipients that receive a 1099 will get it automatically.

Turbo Tax has set up a site to file a simple return that only take a few minutes to do if you have internet access. It takes just basic information and allows you to set a direct deposit or where to mail the check to...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

Hope this helps anyone who didn't already know

That question doesn't have a direct answer.. Since you have filed taxes, I am guessing it will depend on where they pull your information from. Since the IRS is the handling all of this, I am going to hazard another guess and say they will use their own info first.  From everything I've read (which is a lot) they are starting with the direct deposit tax returns first. Then SSA. Then on to paper checks, all tiered by income (lowest first).  They are supposed to be adding a link on the IRS website to add your direct deposit information.
Here is the link for where that info is going when it becomes available supposedly in mid April

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

Don't worry about it.This program will end up making the rich folks more rich and the hoi polloi like us will be begging to get our crumbs.We get $1200 (maybe) while the big corps are dividing up over $1 trillion dollars.That's$1,000,000,000,000.00.This thing will end up being the greatest theft in the history of the world.The little penance of money we get now will be used for survival, while the vast sums of money diverted to the rich and powerful,will be used to suppress and control us in the future.We are slipping back into the past when Popes and Kings controlled every part of humanity.Authority and laws lain down by the powers that be will be the end of free life.We will only be allowed to follow a lifestyle that supports our Corp. Masters.Sorry to bear such dreadful news.This is just the way I see it.

@shemp
And there is an app for that being developed to track the serfs on their day off. So glad I'm retired.  -crofter

How we see it is an opinion, not news and there's nothing I can do about any of that stuff...but I can use $1200 and I agree it's fatally corrupt.

I really could use $1200.00. BUT>>> what they are doing is putting our great grandchildren under a debt that they will never be able to pay. There are parts of this that seem to make sense as there are folks who really need it. And this virus has done more damage to the economy than the health of "MOST" of us. Our people (Amish etc.) will not take it and if they put it into our accounts we give it back. We believe that the government always ties strings to what they give us and we are thankful that we have the resources to take care of our own needy plus help some others. It is one thing to be a part of a people that believes this and stays free of their strings (we pay taxes) but it ain't easy to have money come in and watch it go back. I am in the minority of our people as I don't have an abundance. But I do have hundreds of people who I personally know and thousands of people who don't know me personally that will aid me if I was in real need. I said it will be hard for me to give it back but I have a neighbor with 11 children - their check will be $7,900.00 that has to hurt when it comes in and they give it back. Sometimes I think we should all take it and then pool it all together and help those really in need. I am a minority with that kind of thinking because most of us are concerned about the strings that they tie to it and the freedoms we might loose. I am in a very different situation than most van dwellers and in a very different situation than most of my people. I feel like I am balancing on a fence between both worlds. Which way will I fall? Boy I could use a new set of tires????

outermostsoul - We try to be positive about our country and Patriotic but there have been times where the government steps over the line. Even in Christs time the question came up and He was clear that we honor the authorities and pay our taxes. There are times when we have to obey God rather than man, but never a time to be ungrateful. It is a tightrope we walk between being thankful what our American Constitution grants us freedom of religion while rejecting some government programs. I think the whole issue comes down to respect and thankfulness for our unique government that allows and protects our rights to disagree. One of the most controversial beliefs we (Anabaptist - ie Amish, Mennonite, and Brethren) is our doctrine of non-resistance. We do not go to war but the government historically gives us non-combative jobs to do in lue of military service. Some very modern Mennonites have turned into "peace-nics" who actively protest and get in the face of the gov and others over this. There are many who like myself believe that the right we have to live out our peaceful Christian faith that was granted us by the founding fathers is "bought and paid for" by those who serve. There is a balance we have to tread to live this way. I try to thank every vet I see. I have often thanked those Gold star families for the sacrifice they have made to give us what the constitution decrees. I can not remember a weekly service where we did not pray for blessing and wisdom for our government leaders. It is not a popular or easy issue for us. We pay all of the taxes the government asks us to even school taxes to support public schools we do not attend, while we also pay for our own private schools. We don't take Welfare, farm subsidies, and other government money we could. Of course this varies from church to church. I did paid into Social Security and have collected it. Most of our people no not take SS at all even though some have paid for it. Self employed among us can be exempt from paying into SS but those folks agree to never collect it. Thanks to all those who served to keep this country free.

nature lover said:
I really could use $1200.00. BUT>>> what they are doing is putting our great grandchildren under a debt that they will never be able to pay.

The problem is, they've been doing things exactly wrong. Over the past 20 years, the national debt has risen from about $5-trillion (already bad) to over $23-trillion, prior to the current epidemic. It's gone up extremely fast, even in times of good economic growth, when it should not have done so. That $23-trillion will probably never be paid down. The dumber economists keep saying "we can grow out of it" about the debt. Fat chance of that ever happening, given the obvious history.

OTOH, some economists have mentioned that temporarily adding to the debt during times of extreme crisis or war is not a bad idea ... ie, like in the current situation ... as long as it is then paid down after the situation has passed. Unfortunately, no one listened to them. So right now, they'e just adding a fraction to the grand total, as a stop-gap measure to help keep the system from collapsing.

Qxxx - exactly - if we would have been responsible in our spending in the past - times like national emergencies would not hurt as bad. I owned several businesses in the past and had I run them like the government I would have never made a cent. I say (what others have said) the law should be balance the budget and start paying down the debt or don't pay congress until they do.

it is not the current salary of the congressmen that is the issue it is paying all those ongoing salaries they got after they left for year after year. Lots of former members of congress around still collecting big bucks long after they left the job.

Speaking of adding to the national debt in times of extreme crisis, 22-million people have already filed for unemployment benefits just  in the past several weeks. $1200 will at least help a bit. I am paying down credit card debt.

On a related note to the original posting;....

Is there anyone here on SSDI who has actually received their stimulus deposit yet? No one I know on SSDI has yet.

FYI, I am on regular SS, e-filed my 1040 a couple of weeks ago (and received my refund in 5 working days). Yesterday, the fabled $1200 showed up in my checking account. Today I gave it to the credit card company.

I get basic SS, but also have a pension so file taxes and have to pay something every year.

Although my SS is direct deposited, because I don’t get a refund I wondered if the payment system for the stimulus check would have my information.

Getting into this yesterday,  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment, providing the information it requested, the system said it needed bank information for me, which I entered and it accepted.

If you haven’t gotten your stimulus check yet, might not hurt to check here.

I tried that portal, and all it tells me is that it cannot determine my eligibility at this time. Yet, I keep reading that as an SSDI recipient who is already receiving my monthly funds via direct deposit and received my 1099 form back from the administration earlier this year,...supposedly I need to do absolutely nothing and it is coming. But what if it never comes? There appears to be no pathway to submit a polite complaint that I might have been overlooked (if I have,...I know it is still early and I'm not panicking yet). But how long does one wait?

Pleasant Travels said:
t I might have been overlooked (if I have,...I know it is still early and I'm not panicking yet). But how long does one wait?

I little early to worry, as I believe they only started making the stim payments earlier this week. There were announcements that it may take "weeks" if people are receiving a check in the mail, but I should think direct deposit will go fast. I'm not sure if the reason I got it quickly is because I recently e-filed the 1040 with refund via direct deposit, or because I have direct deposit of SS.

I think it’s too soon to be worried, also seem to recall reading something about persons on disability getting their checks in the next wave, and the system not yet being set up to take that information.

if I remember correctly, if your SSDI is direct deposited so will be your stimulus check.

Latest posts