Need Opinions on my Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been off and on living in a no build, nothing but clothes and food from kitchens and dumpsters, 03 Pontiac Vibe (230k odometer). I have a bad back so this is less than ideal, and in the Vibe it's unreasonable to have my Service Dog with me (she stays with good friends when I can't have her, I got her when I thought I was going to work as a truck driver for a long time but covid ruined that). Tax returns are on the horizon (and hopefully a stimulus check), so I want your opinions on my options.

My elderly dad, who I can't live with because his house is overrun by roaches, rats, etc and my brother who hangs with dangerous people (ex: drug dealers) lives there as well, is offering to trade vehicles with me. He owns a 2003 Chevy Express passenger van that needs a new distributor cap, a tune up, and all new tires, and maybe more I'll have to get a mechanic to look at it to be sure. It has a little over 165k miles

Would I be better off trading with my dad, or using his van as a trade in for another van? (My car is useless for a trade in due to its poor condition)

Cons to using it as a trade in is having less money for the overall build + solar. My tax return will be a little over 2k

By my calculations, it will cost a minimum of 425 for a basic 100w/100ah solar set up (Renogy). Max of 100 for lumber. Around 200 for essential items and goodwill furniture. Dog items and emergency food supply at 200. For a total of 925.

I can try to offset this by selling some things, but realistically I can only get about 200 or so from everything.

Other important considerations: I do plan on workamping and doing seasonal work asap, I plan on being a snowbird so having a full build out isn't essential (but powering my cell phone to find work is), I'm young mid 20s but I have a bad back (pins/rods), I must have my dog with me to thrive, my credit is completely ruined so I can't use it right now

Opinions, advice, words of encouragement, etc. welcome! Thank you in advance

My 100 watt panel was less than $100 in 2016.  They are cheaper now.  A flooded 100 amp hour battery should be about $100.  A ten dollar PWM charge should be about $10.  $425 should cover a lot of bits of wire, terminals, etc.  If your electricity requirement is very low you can use your starter battery and keep it charged with the solar.  Charge your phone during the day and the solar should compensate for parasitic loads like computers that turn on every time you open a door.

I would start looking for jobs that have housing and allow dogs. There are some as some places are desperate for workers or dog friendly or both but they will be hard to find so start looking now. Summertime higher elevations make tent living a possibility which is probably one of the cheapest ways. Until you can find a solution that includes an emergency fund and work that provides enough income to save for one I personally wouldn’t take the risk of going on the road unless I felt physically threatened. Where you are now you might do the trade just to possibly get a more reliable vehicle and get a decent bed if you feel your dad is doing you a favor, but definitely have a mechanic check over the van as on the road break downs are expensive and seasonal jobs don’t always work out. Let us know what you find and decide to do, many here have been in your situation. You might also check the Homes On Wheels Alliance section here as well.

Thank you so much! I am absolutely looking into that. I do feel physically threatened at my dad's place, the people my brother hangs out with scare me (and I am a woman). I will have his van looked at before making a final decision, it has a great engine in there so hopefully it checks out. The Vibe has seen better days too so tent camping out of it is probably not a good idea. The speedometer, lights, electrical stuff doesn't work at all, doors don't lock, the transmission is struggling, tires are worn smooth. It would work fine for my dad who occasionally goes to Walmart, but its not great for living in or driving far in. I have looked at HOWA, I thought about applying for assistance but I will get a tax return so its not fair for me to ask when there are other people who literally have nothing who need a van or repairs. I'll keep this updated, I do eventually want to get a camera to start a YouTube channel to vlog but that's after I get some money coming in of course.

Trebor English said:
My 100 watt panel was less than $100 in 2016.  They are cheaper now.  A flooded 100 amp hour battery should be about $100.  A ten dollar PWM charge should be about $10.  $425 should cover a lot of bits of wire, terminals, etc.  If your electricity requirement is very low you can use your starter battery and keep it charged with the solar.  Charge your phone during the day and the solar should compensate for parasitic loads like computers that turn on every time you open a door.
I was going to get the Renogy kit for simplicity (im bad with knowing what to get and do with all that) as well as a cheap but reliable inverter. I think I priced it out with a lithium 100ah battery, but a flooded would be half the price so I can change that and save 100 and upgrade later. I'm not very good with electrical so if I went off the starter battery I would probably need someone to wire that for me but may be cheaper regardless so I'm keeping it in mind. Thank you for the info!

Santan solar in AZ has 250 watt panels for $50. I bought a few. They also have Renogy 100 watt panels for $50

I saw the panels are used so I called about them. They said they have thousands. When a big solar farm replaces their panels they get them.

He explained to me they are around seven years old and probably at around 90%. They are guaranteed for a year. He said that they are great for Rvers but a solar farm loses 5-10 % it can be a huge loss because they have so many of them.

Anyway Santan has an excellent reputation and it’s a great opportunity to fill up your roof.

They are near Phoenix

https://santansolar.com/

I reccomend filling out the application for a HOWA van. In the mean time you could swap your dad for his van, and have a place to sleep with locking doors. Gather up your camping gear, and you will have a better idea of the space you have to work with in a minivan.

My first night on the road was walmart parking lot. Noisey, well lit, and free. In the morning: Breakfast and bathroom in the store (not free).

Here is the link to the HOWA form.
-crofter

https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/nbb/

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=38050

Cammalu said:
Santan solar in AZ has 250 watt panels for $50. I bought a few. They also have Renogy 100 watt panels for $50

I saw the panels are used so I called about them. They said they have thousands. When a big solar farm replaces their panels they get them.

He explained to me they are around seven years old and probably at around 90%. They are guaranteed for a year. He said that they are great for Rvers but a solar farm loses 5-10 % it can be a huge loss because they have so many of them.

Anyway Santan has an excellent reputation and it’s a great opportunity to fill up your roof.

They are near Phoenix

https://santansolar.com/
I might need to do a no-power dash to AZ (i'm on the east coast atm) :D thank you so much

crofter said:
I reccomend filling out the application for a HOWA van. In the mean time you could swap your dad for his van, and have a place to sleep with locking doors. Gather up your camping gear, and you will have a better idea of the space you have to work with in a minivan.

My first night on the road was walmart parking lot. Noisey, well lit, and free. In the morning: Breakfast and bathroom in the store (not free).

Here is the link to the HOWA form.
-crofter

https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/nbb/

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=38050
Honestly, as far as that goes, even a mini van would be an upgrade from my car, everything I own fits in the Vibe so no issues there. But like I said to another person, I'm not sure its fair to apply when I will be getting a tax return and there are other people who won't and/or have less than I do.

undauntednomad said:
I might need to do a no-power dash to AZ (i'm on the east coast atm) :D thank you so much

They ship

Cammalu said:
They ship
Yes but it costs $200+ I'm in a situation where every single dollar counts. My best bet is to order everything except the panels through Amazon, get it set up, dash to AZ grab the panels and install em. I was probably going out there anyways once I had everything set up at first, meet people and such.

You could let HOWA decide, you know they are fair. 

Though you might get your dad's minivan and just love it. You could buy license plates and registration for it before you do any improvements, so it's really yours.

What type of job skill do you have? Do you like working with people? Or do you prefer to be working alone? A lot of park jobs are really people jobs, but can be really fun. Parks may be shut for a while, but lots of jobs cleaning places and stocking up stores. Best of luck to ya.
-crofter

undauntednomad said:
Yes but it costs $200+ I'm in a situation where every single dollar counts. My best bet is to order everything except the panels through Amazon, get it set up, dash to AZ grab the panels and install em. I was probably going out there anyways once I had everything set up at first, meet people and such.
What are you plugging in to the solar setup? I don't use much electricity, but then I don't have a fridge or brite lights. Living without electricity might be more unplugged than you want to be, but it's possible.
-crofter

This one will charge up your phone and etc at 4.2 amp. Link to supply catalog.
https://powerwerx.com/backlit-red-p...fHYUSIGu2QAaBPHWslbWRJUKc5D08Rp8aAocTEALw_wcB

It is always best to know your needs before buying solar. If you are driving 8 hours or more a day or have access to grid power a few hours a day and a charger you may not require much. For example national parks usually have a plug-in in restrooms or at fish cleaning stations which are free to the public to use. Libraries usually do also.

undauntednomad said:

Lots of people set their solar up on the go. You will find lots of help if you want it. When do you think you will be leaving?

crofter said:
You could let HOWA decide, you know they are fair. 

Though you might get your dad's minivan and just love it. You could buy license plates and registration for it before you do any improvements, so it's really yours.

What type of job skill do you have? Do you like working with people? Or do you prefer to be working alone? A lot of park jobs are really people jobs, but can be really fun. Parks may be shut for a while, but lots of jobs cleaning places and stocking up stores. Best of luck to ya.
-crofter
I can do it all! I have excellent people skills with people who aren't like the ones my brother associates with. Office work, janitorial, computer building and repair. I just can't get out of this town right now with my Vibe coming to its end of life. I'll sleep on it and maybe in the morning I'll send a message to HOWA. Thank you  :D

bullfrog said:
It is always best to know your needs before buying solar. If you are driving 8 hours or more a day or have access to grid power a few hours a day and a charger you may not require much. For example national parks usually have a plug-in in restrooms or at fish cleaning stations which are free to the public to use. Libraries usually do also.
Honestly a 100w panel and 100Ah would do me just fine. I just have a phone and laptop right now. I'm considering a 100w panel hooked directly to a Jackery 240 with an adapter until I can afford to upgrade. Eventually I'll get a 12v fridge and such but I have so little right now.

Cammalu said:
Lots of people set their solar up on the go. You will find lots of help if you want it. When do you think you will be leaving?
I hope soon after tax returns go out (if all goes well with getting a vehicle or fixing my dad's), March I think. I have so little power need right now I probably will just run a cheap, as cheap as possible set up until I can afford an upgrade.

crofter said:
What are you plugging in to the solar setup? I don't use much electricity, but then I don't have a fridge or brite lights. Living without electricity might be more unplugged than you want to be, but it's possible.
-crofter

This one will charge up your phone and etc at 4.2 amp. Link to supply catalog.
https://powerwerx.com/backlit-red-p...fHYUSIGu2QAaBPHWslbWRJUKc5D08Rp8aAocTEALw_wcB
Just a phone and laptop (for now). I sit too much to charge effectively off the car battery (which sucks in the Vibe) unless I'm on my way somewhere.

Latest posts