Need Opinions on my Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your next move banks on if you are going to get your Dad's van.

I would even if you are going to have to put money into it for some repairs, it sounds way better than the Vibe and if all he needs a vehicle for is to run to walmart, then, yea do that switch.

depending on what repair place says you need and costs, then you can decide on trading the van for something else.

but with you and your service dog you need some room for sure. With a bad back you might need a high top for standing space etc. So when you do know how the van truly is....just go from there.

Workcamping etc is out there. You can find situations and once you get hosting ability under your belt, you can apply at state parks and private campgrounds giving you free site/water/elec probably for your work service. It is a good situation for many.

Don't worry on solar so much. Get a small set up at a store like Harbor Freight or Lowes, Home Depot. You need minimum type power just for laptop and phone start small. You can always add. Go to one of these places and chat solar and tell them what you expect/need from this set up and just buy what suits.

Sounds like you are on the edge of a good van to get, hopefully repairs aren't bad and if you truly need/want/desire out of your living area now, you go for it! best of luck

Look at that van closely to make sure it will pass inspection. Some states require insurance and a fresh inspection, then you go to your tax office for reregistration.  They look at badly cracked windshields, loose steering, tires, maybe emissions, wipers, lights, soft brakes, horn, blinkers, smoke, etc. Just make sure you dont have to spend a fortune getting that "drug addict maintained" vehicle up to par.

Starting out your build with basically no budget will be difficult, but doable. Starting out your vanlife while traveling with no budget will be impossible, are you capable of working...even under the table, cash work ?

undauntednomad said:
Honestly, as far as that goes, even a mini van would be an upgrade from my car, everything I own fits in the Vibe so no issues there. But like I said to another person, I'm not sure its fair to apply when I will be getting a tax return and there are other people who won't and/or have less than I do.
Apply.

It's not your job to decide who should get HOWA's money - it's HOWA's job.

Also, it's premature to worry now how you're gonna get solar. Right now, what you NEED is a better vehicle and a safe place to sleep. You can charge your phone if you have a functional vehicle.

When do you expect your refund? Why would you make a dash to Arizona, and then leave, when it's easier to be a van dweller in the west?

RoamerRV428 said:
your next move banks on if you are going to get your Dad's van.

I would even if you are going to have to put money into it for some repairs, it sounds way better than the Vibe and if all he needs a vehicle for is to run to walmart, then, yea do that switch.

depending on what repair place says you need and costs, then you can decide on trading the van for something else.

but with you and your service dog you need some room for sure.  With a bad back you might need a high top for standing space etc.  So when you do know how the van truly is....just go from there.

Workcamping etc is out there.  You can find situations and once you get hosting ability under your belt, you can apply at state parks and private campgrounds giving you free site/water/elec probably for your work service.  It is a good situation for many.

Don't worry on solar so  much.  Get a small set up at a store like Harbor Freight or Lowes, Home Depot.  You need minimum type power just for laptop and phone start small.  You can always add.  Go to one of these places and chat solar and tell them what you expect/need from this set up and just buy what suits.

Sounds like you are on the edge of a good van to get, hopefully repairs aren't bad and if you truly need/want/desire out of your living area now, you go for it!  best of luck
Thank you so much! Lowes has a cheap Windy Nation slim 100w panel I just saw  :D the physical stores in SC don't carry any solar stuff so it all has to be ordered (free pickup)

bagabum said:
Look at that van closely to make sure it will pass inspection. Some states require insurance and a fresh inspection, then you go to your tax office for reregistration.  They look at badly cracked windshields, loose steering, tires, maybe emissions, wipers, lights, soft brakes, horn, blinkers, smoke, etc. Just make sure you dont have to spend a fortune getting that "drug addict maintained" vehicle up to par.
SC doesn't have vehicle inspections. The only positive to this state imho - BUT I will be sure that it will last me 2+ years at least while I save money for something better (if I don't have to go broke with trading it in right off the bat)

jacqueg said:
Apply.

It's not your job to decide who should get HOWA's money - it's HOWA's job.

Also, it's premature to worry now how you're gonna get solar. Right now, what you NEED is a better vehicle and a safe place to sleep. You can charge your phone if you have a functional vehicle.

When do you expect your refund? Why would you make a dash to Arizona, and then leave, when it's easier to be a van dweller in the west?
I sent them an email. And I'm thinking March??? And when I said dash to AZ I did mean I fully intend to either stay in AZ for while or go somewhere nearby for work. I'm done with the south east, its cold and wet and there's nothing for me here anymore.

ckelly78z said:
Starting out your build with basically no budget will be difficult, but doable. Starting out your vanlife while traveling with no budget will be impossible, are you capable of working...even under the table, cash work ?
Yes, I can work as long as it doesn't require lifting more than 50 pounds. I was doing DoorDash out of the Vibe, but it barely covered expenses. My mistake was not learning about other job opportunities and limiting myself to the south east (although it turned out to be a good thing because I might have been truly stranded if I wasn't here)

bagabum said:
If your brother is/was a drug dealer, I would make sure that the van doesn't have any (drug) surprises that are discovered by cops someday when you are on the road.

"If your brother is/was a drug dealer, I would make sure that the van doesn't have any (drug) surprises that are discovered by cops someday when you are on the road."

Or is well known by the police as a druggie vehicle. You might not even get out of town.

Highdesertranger

I knew a guy that bought a car from a Police Auction, and later discovered drugs hidden inside a door panel. The Cops didn't search it well enough.

highdesertranger said:
"If your brother is/was a drug dealer, I would make sure that the van doesn't have any (drug) surprises that are discovered by cops someday when you are on the road."

Or is well known by the police as a druggie vehicle.  You might not even get out of town.

Highdesertranger
Luckily he never drove the van because he doesn't have a license and my dad hides the keys, but I will search it and have it detailed.

Freelander said:
I knew a guy that bought a car from a Police Auction, and later discovered drugs hidden inside a door panel. The Cops didn't search it well enough.
I wonder if it would be smart to go to the police and be like hey this is the situation, can you have a dog sniff the car? Regardless I will search it really well and have it detailed if I end up using it

The Pontiac Vibe isn't that bad of a car. Ever wonder how a GM made car made it to such high mileage? It's because it's basically made by Toyota! But regardless of it's condition, I couldn't imagine it being practical to live out of. Also, don't install a lead acid battery inside the vehicle. They vent hydrogen gas, which could cause you some issues without proper venitilation.

Latest posts