12 volt television

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know of a suitable van TV capable of playing mp4 video from a flash/thumb drive through a usb port. I'm not having much luck searching for one. I tried playing the drive through a dvd player I just picked up but it was garbage. Wouldn't even play dvds! (sent back of course).

my Majestic has a USB input although I have never used it. I have used the HMDI and that works fine. highdesertranger

I've found several with USBs but they only played music or photos, no video. My home tv will play them (as does my brother's). Specs listed with tv literature never clearly specify the USBs capability. You have to buy & try.

I have a Trexonic 12" 12v TV. Has every input and output you can think of. It will play mp4 and avi movies from a usb thumb drive or an SD card. Its even supposed to support a 500 gig external hard drive but I havent tried it. Resolution is better than any of the other little TVs I've found. Good loud sound. About $100 on Walmarts website.

highdesertranger said:
when I was at Walt's RV Surplus last weekend the had a bunch of Jensen 42 inch 12v TV's for 100 bucks.  I know a 42 inch is way to big for a van but that is one hell of a deal.  this thread reminded me to let y'all know.  highdesertranger

You know darn well that someone somewhere has fit a 42" TV into their plans!

I will miss my TV, but here I am with this laptop and a portable drive that will play CDs, DVDs, and BluRay. No worries about reception.

That must be a LCD TV. A LED TV will draw a lot less power. Is this with the inverter?

The Trexonic 12" is LCD and is rated as 1.5 amps max which is about 18 watts.

Not sure what 55 watts per hour means. Probably 55 watts max.

I just use my iPad and the haystack app for tv. I also have amazon prime and Hulu.  I do have a 12 volt tv, but generally don’t get a tv signal if I can’t get a cellular signal.

You made me lookup the haystack app, only news, too bad as I don't watch bad news anymore.

I might add that when I’m on the road, it’s far more probable that I’ll get a cell signal than a TV signal.  So focusing on how to make my iPad function as a TV works much better than trying to get over-the-air TV signals.  I was even able to watch TV while on the Arctic Ocean this summer.  I started using my laptop and/or iPad as a TV when I bought a cabin in the mountains in Colorado.  I had DSL connectivity, but no TV signal.  I started hooking my iPad to my TV though an HDMI port and was able to get fairly current media. Also since I had streaming Serius-XM, I could get live radio streams through my iPad.  

As far as I’m concerned, using the iPad over cellular connectivity is the way to go.  There is very little that I can’t do on my iPad stuff that I used to do on my laptop - and it’s much easier to do and say current with software releases.

Ah, Pluto TV also works as a web page so no app needed. I just mirror my android phone onto the TV if I am not using one of the apps on the TV (smart TV), no wires.

I am happy with my LG. It is 19v, 1.2 amps. The model number is 24LJ4540.

My cargo trailer came with a small 12v SuperSonic tv with DVD player on board. Nice picture quality. Could be 24"... on a wall mount.