Anderson Port Question-Solar Battery Banks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Painted Highway

Reaction score
I'm deciding on purchasing a solar battery bank, ecoflow pro or bluetti that has a 30amp rv plug built into their inverter. I do not currently have an inverter in my rv. I have a 12 volt shut-off switch for the current house batteries. When plugging into the new battery bank, it will power ac and dc outlets just like shore power, but it will also create a power draw from the inverter as well as from the machine from just being on even if I'm not using AC power, because I would still be in need of DC power, if I understand it correctly? Would using the Anderson port and wiring it to the rv's 12 volt fuse panel be a good solution...or am I way off?

The AC and DC operate independently, they have separate power buttons (located on the front and back/side). If there is no power draw within a set timeframe it will auto turn off that side. On the new Deltas, this can also be controlled in the app. If the AC side is on but there are no devices connected, it will still draw power. In an experiment with my 1st generation Delta 1300, it went from 100% to 92% in twelve hours.

I just ordered a Delta Pro today. Here are the bests deals I’ve found. HSN has new models with a 5 year warranty from Ecoflow. Walmart has refurbished units with a 2 year factory warranty.

https://www.hsn.com/products/ecoflo...HYC3wXYB8hxws2otml9HZQy2s9-twJcRoCXlEQAvD_BwE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EcoFlow-...gency-Used-Certified-Reconditioned/1909774574

One advantage if independent components is you can completely disconnect them or replace them. Two to three thousand is a lot of components! Just saying!

Thanks afblangley for the explanation and the links, I appreciate the help. That HSN price is the best i have seen! I like the portability factor instead of static solar install at least until I decide on my long-term home on wheels. I'm thinking rigid panels deployed portable style to help offset cost of flexible panels/system, then install permanently at a later date.

Just a note on the 30A RV receptacle on the power pack unit:

Yes it will provide 120v AC power to the outlets in the RV similar to a normal shore power hookup, except the length of operation will be very limited.

Soon after you try to power the RV fridge on 120v, or a space heater, or a roof A/C unit, the power pack will fall flat on it's face...

If the RV 120v to 12v converter is ON and charging the house battery, you will also pull a significant amount of power from the power pack if the house batteries are partially or fully depleted.

Just so you know there will be very limited amount of 'run-time' depending on what you plug into the RV's 120v outlets when your shore cord is plugged into the power pack.

I won't be using it for the AC or the refrigerator. I might get a small heater though to use on cold mornings. The RV onan gen still runs good, just a noisy beast!

We are at a very similar point. Have an 8kW Onan on a DP and though it may be necessary, I dislike it. Owning a large RV led to buying a van and doing a simple buildout. A Delta has been used on a daily basis, but with the appliances recently added, have grown beyond it's capabilities.

Ecoflow is known for having the fastest charging power stations on the market. This is most extreme when using 110V. There are 2 or 3 YTers (Expedition Australia, Gaye N Robert) who have posted videos about charging a Delta in their vehicles using an inverter hooked up to a battery charged by their vehicle. This is possible because the charging wattage can be dialed down to be within the constraints of the vehicle’s alternator. I know from my own experimentation that the VS30 Sprinter will throw out error messages if it’s charging system is strained. You cannot inadvertently “fry” the alternator.

Bluetti is probably Ecoflow’s biggest competitor. Their EP series is designed like the Pro, but a lot bigger, heavier and more expensive. FYI, they just launched an indiegogo campaign and have some packages with excellent pricing, like an AC500 for $1500 available (as of the time I am writing this).

I want an all in one unit, so I am considering the Bluetti AC200 Max. Ecoflow's power stations fall short of when it comes to 12V port selection and external battery functionality. The Delta Pro has a 10A cigarette port and a 30A Anderson, though one YTer (maybe HoboTech or Todd Parker?) reported being able to draw only 25A. The AC200 Max uses an “RV port” instead of an Anderson, but also has two 5521 rated for 10A (compared to the Pro’s 3A), and convenient wireless charging pads. Bluetti’s external batteries can be charged independently of the power station and used standalone with it’s own USB A, USB C and cigarette ports. The Delta Pro's external battery is a brick without the power station.

For me, the AC200 Max means I could plug the diesel heater and fridge into the 5521 ports, preserving the cigarette lighter for extemporaneous uses. The inverter on the Pro is more than adequate, while I have concerns about the AC200 Max being large enough. I can charge the Pro at 900W, limited by my vehicle, while the max charging of the Bluetti is an anemic 500W. That matters to me, though I’m not sure how much. Earlier this week, Ecoflow increased the warranty on the Pro to 5 years. Bluetti is two years for the AC200Max, their higher end units have 4 or 5 year warranties.

I’ve been happy with the Delta. I think the soon to be released Delta 2 will be the best midsized power station, hands down. But when it comes to dropping $3k on a large (not truly portable) power system, Bluettti has some clear advantages. This is a big expenditure for me and I want to make the right choice, so I bought both systems so that I could determine which one best meets my needs.

^^^I hope you realize how a much cheaper and more custom personalized system could be put together that is more easily maintained out of individual components if you just gain a little more knowledge. The amounts of money your spending and will spend would pay for a tow behind used Prius that could be modified to give you several thousand watts of power I believe. Just saying!

I followed most of that....but...

8KW Onan on a 'DP'...I assume that's your abbreviation for Diesel Pusher?

HDR (High Desert Ranger) used to remind us that it's always a good idea to define abbreviations that are not commonly used or well known, especially in any technical discussion.

Some newer readers and maybe even a few of us old-timers might need it spelled out for us 'sometimes'.

^^^I hope you realize how a much cheaper and more custom personalized system could be put together that is more easily maintained out of individual components if you just gain a little more knowledge. The amounts of money your spending and will spend would pay for a tow behind used Prius that could be modified to give you several thousand watts of power I believe. Just saying!
I'm open to learning. Please explain how I could accomplish this cheaper as a DIY project. These power stations cost ~$3k, have 200-300Ah batteries with ~2500W inverter, that can be charged using alternator, shore power, or solar. When I add up the cost of DIY, the batteries and inverter charger alone are $2000+.

^^^This would be jimindenver’s area of expertise as he has run AC on a twenty something camper trailer using a massive solar system, small generator and staying in full hookup sites when all else failed for years. He was doing consulting and I assume he still does. You should be able to message him through this site. First saving $500 to $1000 is not small change for many of us here. Second when a component fails, which it will, it can be replaced by you as you built it you will gain more than a working knowledge, again a huge savings over buying a complete new unit. No shipping it back because you can’t fix it, yet again a money saver. Even 300 amp hour battery bank won’t support an RV air conditioner but for a very short period of time and will be an extreme load on any 300 amp hour battery pack or bank in my opinion. Read past threads on AC. Contact jimindenver and look at the new thread I believe was just started. If you are going to spend $3,000 every few years trying to make a 300 amp hour system replace an 8k generator or grid power buying a used Prius with it’s huge battery and having it modified to run a 3,500 watt pure sine wave inverter actually begins to make sense. If you can get by on 1500 watts it is a simple inverter install on the start battery. It gives you secondary transportation, is quieter and probably more efficient than you generator! They make kits for homeowners in coastal areas to power their houses during power outages.

Thanks Bullfrog. I am not trying to replace the generator in the RV. It is the most practical and cheapest way to meet the massive power needs of a Class A. Given the use case scenarios of these vehicles, it will be a long and costly proposition making generators obsolete in them, no matter what California legislates...

I do not have a generator in the van. Professional van builders and some OEM manufacturers are putting in large Volta systems powered with second alternators and huge battery banks capable of running an air conditioner for multiple hours, and recharging while idling (or driving) for a couple of hours a day. Even the most tricked out van doesn't need a generator.

My van has a relatively modest power demand, it does not have an air conditioner. When I realized I needed to upgrade my power station, I seriously considered building out the electrical system, but ultimately decided against it. It would cost more in every way. The price of power stations has dropped so much that DIY is more expensive. A DIY system would take up more space, a precious commodity in a van. It's more limiting since it is attached to the vehicle and can't be removed for other uses. Manufacturers like Bluetti, Lion, and Inergy have modular packages, that are scalable to grow as needs increase, and if one component goes bad, the whole system isn't disabled.

In the final analysis, I couldn't build better than what I could buy, the only reason for DIY would be edification. Which isn't a bad thing...

^^^I understand totally as I did something similar on a much smaller scale years ago when I wanted to try new chemistry batteries. I bought several Ryobi 18 volt 9 amp hour batteries and a vehicle charger which I could plug into the vehicle or my solar charged house battery. With the Ryobi power station powered by the 18 volt batteries I was able to meet all my modest electrical needs as many were Ryobi accessories powered directly by the 18 volt batteries but also 5, 12 volt direct current and 120 volt alternating current using an inverter. When it came time to heat and cool my 7’ x 11’ camper which isn’t much bigger than a van I bought extra solar and a dual fuel 2500 watt generator which I use propane to fuel. Knowing these things take up space but also knowing I would always have enough power when I needed it was worth every inch of space it took. When full timing it makes a big difference at least to us. When I think about what I have invested and see figures like $3,000 for the basic unit and several more for an add on I start looking for a better way, may not find any but before I would spent that much I would look a long time! Lol!!!

Last edited: