12 volt television

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfShadows

Reaction score
Would like input on where to get a good quality 12 volt volt TV. Also reviews on which TV's are decent with options/ reliability.

Idk i went 120v cause i didnt want to pay hundreds extra to save maybe $10 worth of solar a week.

I get all my TV through my laptop with a USB TV-tuner.

I have a Majestic 12v it's rated for Marine and off road use. not cheap but for me I needed something that could handle the vibration of off highway driving. Jensen used to make a extreme duty or whatever they called it but the line is no longer on the website the last I looked. my buddy has a Jensen in his 4WD motor home it works fine for him. I plan on using one of Jensen's Heavy Duty stereos in my trailer. highdesertranger

Curiously more and more devices are native DC, the biggest coming down the pike being electric vehicles.

That does nothing to answer your question, but it does raise some interesting perspectives on electric history, and the future.

Hopefully we will start seeing more dc devices.

I got a LG 24 inch smart model that came with an external power brick that took 120 VAC and converted it to 19.5 VDC. I cut the plug off of it and took a laptop 12 VDC to 19.5 VDC power supply and spliced the LG power end onto it. It is not ruggedized but I don't drive fast on washboard roads (sometimes less than 5 MPH) although I do venture down 2 track. It was cheap enough that if/when it dies, I will get another one.

Thank you all. I am going to check out HDR's suggestion. I take a lot of Off Roads, old stage coach trails thru the mountains etc... A TV that can take abuse  would be for me. I am going for 12v DC because I like to conserve my battery bank especially in the winter. Inverter consumes power.

I have a 24 inch 120v TV that plugs into my inverter. No one travels rougher than I do and the TV has been fine for years. It cost much less than a 12 volt version. I had a 12 volt 15 inch TV/DVD player but once I had to have a inverter it didn't matter.

I have a 19" 12 volt TV/ DVD from Access that I got off Amazon and I'm happy with it.

Good 12V TV

I have this TV, it is 12V and has an excellent picture and ok sound, been using it for a year now.  I previously had an Access 12V TV, it was a POS with lousy picture and horrible sound! The power draw is only a few amps @ 12v

41ikq7wtATL.jpg

Picked up a 12V / 120V Jensen 22" LED w/ DVD player 3 years ago on sale for $185 back then. I run it on 12V.
Had it fall of the shelf 6' to the floor several times and it keeps on working. I'm not usually rough on stuff but for some reason I keep forgetting to strap it down.

Now watch, the next time I turn it on it'll cook itself.

I like Lenny Flanks idea of using the USB TV Tuner with the laptop.   Try to get as many uses out of one item as possible. (and the TV Tuner peripheral isn't much larger than a butane cigarette lighter)

This $75 dollar Hauppauge  1191 Win TV-HVR-955Q  allows for watching one TV channel while recording another at the same time.  Like having a digital recording console as well. 

https://www.lifewire.com/best-usb-tv-tuner-cards-1130675

I'm really only interested in sporting events, do those computer tuners get live sports

They use an OTA (over the air) antenna. If it is broadcast on a channel that you can pick up, yes. It is the same as a TV with an OTA.

eDJ_ said:
I like Lenny Flanks idea of using the USB TV Tuner with the laptop.   Try to get as many uses out of one item as possible. (and the TV Tuner peripheral isn't much larger than a butane cigarette lighter)

This $75 dollar Hauppauge  1191 Win TV-HVR-955Q  allows for watching one TV channel while recording another at the same time.  Like having a digital recording console as well. 

https://www.lifewire.com/best-usb-tv-tuner-cards-1130675
...........................................................................................................................................

I assume if your in the AZ desert you probably wont get any channels lol

when I was at Walt's RV Surplus last weekend the had a bunch of Jensen 42 inch 12v TV's for 100 bucks. I know a 42 inch is way to big for a van but that is one hell of a deal. this thread reminded me to let y'all know. highdesertranger