1/2-ton, 3/4-ton or 1-ton

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itchyfeetsyndrome

Reaction score
Hi, not on the road yet but planing to be ASAP. If a van is my choice and I don't plan on towing, does it matter on which [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]payload capacity I choose?[/font]

As I understand, if you ar en't towing, the concern would be related to the weight of your build. Ensuring your at roughly 75% to 85% of your GVWR.

...or what Optimistic Paranoid says below ;)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

itchyfeetsyndrome said:
Hi, not on the road yet but planing to be ASAP. If a van is my choice and I don't plan on towing, does it matter on which [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]payload capacity I choose?[/font]

Depends on how much weight you will be carrying IN the van, obviously.  For most vehicles, you can find a label on the driver's door which will list the GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating - which is the maximum weight of the vehicle,passengers and all cargo.

You should also find CURB WEIGHT, which is how much the vehicle weighs parked at the curb with all fluids - oil, coolant, a full tank of gas, etc. but no passengers or cargo on board.  The difference between the GVWR and the Curb Weight is how much you can carry, including yourself.

If you are leading a minimalist life, you might get by very well with a half ton.  If you have more stuff than can safely be carried in a half ton, you will need to get a heavier van.

A lot of people here think you are probably safer with a heavier van anyway, more wiggle room to make changes down the line. A heavier van will probably have bigger brakes, and that can be an extra safety feature if you are doing a lot of mountain driving.

But a lighter van will ride more like a passenger car, and a heavier van - especially if lightly loaded - will ride like a truck, which bothers some people.

Be sure and check the specs as well. The difference in payload capacity between a "1/2 ton" and a "3/4 ton" may not be as much as you think. I certainly was surprised.

3/4-1 ton suspension will probably be considerably more robust. You might also be able to get one with a full-floating rear-end too. ..Willy.

Welcome itchyfeet to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Only matters how much you want inside your van. If you will only have bare minimums, any of them will do. But if youll do solar and have extra stuff, going bigger wont hurt. My F350 has a payload of 3600. Im not sure how close (or more) the E350 would be, though.

Willy said:
3/4-1 ton suspension will probably be considerably more robust. You might also be able to get one with a full-floating rear-end too. ..Willy.
Is "full-floating" the technical term or should we look for another option? I've never hear this term and why it would be preferable/rare.

Ask and be educated. Don't know why I didn't Google that... Long day

for me, full floating axles are truck axles, semi floating axles are car axles. if you have a semi floating axle, your vehicle is closer to a car then a truck. highdesertranger

Hahaha hey I was just having fun with it, i guess I should have put one of these there so you'd of known I was goofing :p