05 Tequila Safari (slow) build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TequilaSunSet

Reaction score
[font=Georgia, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif](WTH?) Whats with all this font codes on here????[/font]

Note: font codes below have been removed manually by mod.

Well I am finally making a move on my project, RL gets in the way... plus I am balancing this with some work on my vanagon before I sell it this summer (maybe)

Got plenty of sheets of plastic cardboard to mock up the interior, GCP1 plug port arrived today, and used some of my Cabela's points for a portable sink, heater buddy, pocket shower, 4 sizes of silver dry lite towels, therma-rest pillow, and a couple of dry sacks. 

Tonight I need to try to tighten up my various designs before I make any cuts tomorrow. The hardest part is where I want to park my ARB 50, other than that annoyance I am pretty excited to get started finally on doing ANYTHING to the van... after the mock up I plan on cutting the floor and replace the  fuel pump  and filter before my big trip to Colorado for my CCV top (plan on hitting Moab, Great Basin and a few other spots up and back from Nor Cal) I am pretty excited about my trip and the new top.

(Yes running boards are coming off!!!)

profile_zps7dlela2n.jpg

Sample pic of CCV top I am getting 
6243572809_3bb9dd3359_b_zpsfhloiohd.jpg

Interesting pop up top on the van!

Good luck on your build, make sure to post lot's of pics.

Yeah the font thing is getting annoying....

ahh_me2 said:
Interesting pop up top on the van!

Good luck on your build, make sure to post lot's of pics.

Yeah the font thing is getting annoying....

Thanks... I plan on it posting as many pics as the law allows!
Font... yeah a major PITA... so I am going to sort of repost it since I cannot see an edit option

Sweet looking van! Sorry about the font bug, this is a bad one fore sure.

John

nobodyG17 said:
That pop up is amazing but the prices!!!!!!!!!!!

Why so many exclamation points? Yeah they are not free but considering that they are the only vendor doing these tops for a Safari they can charge what they want. I will say they are cheaper than adding a pop top to my vanagon, and with far less features... and I have much more head room, more windows and I will double my sleeping space with great ventilation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :p

Konaexpress said:
Do you have more photos?

John

Yeah but they are boring... just a plain Jane van right now with the seats removed and some of the plastic removed. I hope to take some pics today as I start my mock ups  :)

6fc191cd880f43b9878bf51232a1c5f1%201_zps2gyahnku.jpg

c7eebbbb-238e-4c67-8db1-b8b1d0360481_zpsodv58vv6.jpg

What the interior of the top will look like...

Bed pads up front
cc%20top_zpsbanlrkyf.jpg

Bed pads in place

bed_zpscbgwbdys.jpg

That's going to be a cool rig! Any idea on price for the camper top? This makes the Safari/Astro the new vanigan killer.

This has fishing trips to the coast written all over it.

John

Konaexpress said:
That's going to be a cool rig! Any idea on price for the camper top? This makes the Safari/Astro the new vanigan killer.

This has fishing trips to the coast written all over it.

John

Thanks John... there are a lot of vanagon converts and I suspect many more. Parts availability, finding a mechanic (if lacking the skills) is really slim... and the overall $$ will only get worse for vanagons.

My quote for the standard install with all the bells and whistles, and Yakima rails installed (for future racks/solar panels) is just under $6,600 + tax

Im sure this will turn out just fine. That upstairs is almost doubling your cu ft's it seems.
And yet when the top is down, it'll be stealthy.

Looking forward to more pics when the top gets installed.

thanks mods for cleaning up the first post. that pop top looks really cool. keep us updated. highdesertranger

I only spent a couple of hours on my safari today but it felt really good!

Much pondering and removing panels, seat belts, wheel well coverings etc. I finally figured out which direction I want to go and laid out some duct tape before i cut my plastic for the mock ups. Need a special bit for the pop out window screws so i can remove that plastic panel. I also need to remove the rear heater since it will be covered by a cabinet, all space is valuable.

This pic might hurt your eyes, but it gives ya a basic idea which way I am going... crazy is one direction 

lay11_zpsvd8cjudq.jpg

Just wondering, is there enough room under that bed to put a slide out ports-potty/thunder bucket? Got to have one of those!

John

Konaexpress said:
Just wondering, is there enough room under that bed to put a slide out ports-potty/thunder bucket? Got to have one of those!

John

The plan is not under the bed but in the side cabinet, still a work in progress... time will tell

TequilaSunSet said:
The plan is not under the bed but in the side cabinet, still a work in progress... time will tell

Down and dirty coroplast mock up for the basic idea...rear storage that will have access from inside (upper 12" for clothes) and lower 12" outside access for camp stove and other outside stuff.Side storage for kitchen prep and food/utensils/pots/pans storage. ARB fridge fits like a glove with plenty of vent space.

bed%20space%20porta_zpsyfjxe52n.jpg

sink_zpseenm5phs.jpg

rear%20arb%20storage_zps31quj0sl.jpg

arb_zpsxwh3nedp.jpg

rear%20storage_zpsxrvy4p4z.jpg

space2_zpsnkhy4q8r.jpg

kitch%20shelf_zpsrnyd2zp1.jpg

Chit finally getting real...

Mocked up framework with pad, and plywood headboard that will be part of a cabinet with inside/outside access. Upper half the counter top will be a lift-off to access clothes, bottom half outside 2 burner grill.

My measurements came out sooooooooo close in tolerances. One photo shows the rear support rail I will be adding underneath, and it just rests on the wheel well, and my porta potty just clears. Sitting on this in my natural position my head just clears. If I go for proper etiquette and sit totally straight I hit the headliner. I'm not sure how much clearance I will have with the poptop and bed pads in place... I am assuming the same or slightly better. The final pic the outside of the blue tape will be the edge of the side cabinet that will house batteries and food/pans/butane single grill for hot water and non smelly foods, collapsible bucket and sink etc.

Bed pad folds up with a headrest, tiny sofa... just under a twin size so sheets and comforter will be no prob. Platform will flip up to access storage, and I have some nice looking paneling to cover the front of the base.

Pad is snug against seat, no prob... I'm 5-8 1/2" and my bed is 73"... tested it out and plenty of width and length.

The top of the cabinet will be just under the window, with an attachable small table top extension to function as a dinner table/desk/workbench

Lots of side room... I will get some of that Styrofoam insulation for the inserts, then I'm looking at some sort of cargo netting for various stash points for a laptop, additional bedding, towels or... ?

I am having fun with this.............

regis101 said:
You've got skills.  Impressive.

Thanks Regis... so I got the rear frame/support in and it fits like a glove! The wood sits tight against the seat belt mounting bracket on the wheel well and it makes a perfect guide and base support.

mid%20support_zps8zfwhjwg.jpg