05 Tequila Safari (slow) build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found the time to finish off the bed, got the lid hinged and found some nice sanded and spalted plywood at HD... this is the bad side but I really like it.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get started on final sketches/mock ups for my 2 cabinets and battery location.

Looks nicely done. The sectioned mattress looks like a great find.

For me, I would wonder how tiresome it would become to have to lift the top of the bed and mattress each time I needed access to the storage beneath (if I understood properly). Or maybe what goes underneath will be rarely used items?

WriterMs said:
Looks nicely done. The sectioned mattress looks like a great find.

For me, I would wonder how tiresome it would become to have to lift the top of the bed and mattress each time I needed access to the storage beneath (if I understood properly). Or maybe what goes underneath will be rarely used items?

How tiresome is it to open the fridge? A cabinet? A door? Pretty much the same to me... plus I will have gas struts... light and easy.

I will have tools, chairs, outdoor mat etc under the platform... I am pretty much going to wing it on how and what I store in there (lots of room). My side cabinet will be batteries boxed off by the wheel well, the rest will be kitchen type stuff and foods. The rear one will house some clothes in the top half with inside access. The bottom half will have access from the outside stowing my 2 burner grill and outdoor cooking gear.

Got the wood oiled and the grain is just a poppin fresh!

I then hammered and ridge textured some copper, followed up with some heat patina... the corners came out as planned... I am in shock... I love the way the light plays off of them.

TequilaSunSet said:
Why so many exclamation points? Yeah they are not free but considering that they are the only vendor doing these tops for a Safari they can charge what they want. I will say they are cheaper than adding a pop top to my vanagon, and with far less features... and I have much more head room, more windows and I will double my sleeping space with great ventilation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :p

I had a 1971 VW Westfalia and drove it from Sacramento, California to San Jose, Costa Rica on a 6 month road trip.   The pop top is nothing less than awesome in a tropical climate.   Mine had 3 sides screened and the ventilation was superb. 

You will enjoy it immensely.

66788 said:
I had a 1971 VW Westfalia and drove it from Sacramento, California to San Jose, Costa Rica on a 6 month road trip.   The pop top is nothing less than awesome in a tropical climate.   Mine had 3 sides screened and the ventilation was superb. 

You will enjoy it immensely.

Thanks... I am really looking forward to it and the fact I can sit up and dangle my feet over a bed pad, and the 360 degree views... excited :)

I am interested in how you raise the poptop. It looks like you have some sort of hydraulic struts? I have a VW Eurovan and due to an injury can no longer lift the top manually. I am looking for a way to raise the roof with assistance, hopefully making it electronic as well. Any information or advice would be very welcome.

cheapnewbie said:
I am interested in how you raise the poptop. It looks like you have some sort of hydraulic struts? I have a VW Eurovan and due to an injury can no longer lift the top manually. I am looking for a way to raise the roof with assistance, hopefully making it electronic as well. Any information or advice would be very welcome.

Yup, it's an electric/hydraulic assisted poptop and it's done by Colorado Camper Vans in Loveland CO... that's all I've got sorry

Some more mock up work on the side cabinet... plans keep changing on the fly with adjustments being made to the shape of the van and obstructions and me simply changing my mind... slowing me down, but that's the way poop happens sometimes. I'm not a carpenter so that is a prob too :)

Nice looking plywood !
3/4" is going to add up quick weight wise though .....

rvpopeye said:
Nice looking plywood  !
3/4" is going to add up quick weight wise though .....

3/4 for bed platform only... and the base plywood on the platform is thin like 1/8... the cabinet is 7/16  :)

Yup ! hard to tell from the photo so just guessed ,the screw heads should have clued me !!!
I use 1/2" or 7/16" for most of my rig mods now .
You can use 2" SR screws through a pre-drilled and counter sunk side piece into end grain without splitting , I rarely use corner blocking anymore unless there is heavy weight involved....just the screws and glue.

And a Kreg pocket screw jig will eliminate all those corner blocks which saves time and space as well as weight!

I seriously don't know how I put together a van interior without the Kreg....well, I know how and it was heavy and pretty ugly too... :rolleyes:

Heading to CCV for the top... dropping off on Monday morning WOOOOOOOT! :D

Wait. Turn around. Come back. You left the water running and the cat has no food. You didn't stop the newspaper delivery and the front window is open.