My adventure vehicle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper238

Reaction score
I live in the NE and took advantage of the Pandemic lock/shut down by going on a multi month adventure down the AT, BRP and skyline drive from ME to TN. Such a great trip with gas so cheap and noone around on the roads, i really felt free for the first time in a long time. 

Figured i would share what i did with my 4Runner for this adventure and hopefully continual adventures. I'm a tinkerer and love to create and make things. So sometimes i can get carried away, but i love it when its finished.

The first thing i did was create a level platform for sleeping. I didn't want to waist the 3" of height space to just leveling so i made 2 pull out tables for cooking and whatnot. Super handy and a great place to cook a meal.  

esn3Jfyl.jpg

Came in super handy for a quick lunch at the side of the road, or a nice simple dinner.

JAJhSvQl.jpg

I added some reflectix for privacy.

nTmY0NUl.jpg

I also needed some extra storage on the outside for my emergency recovery gear since i try and do some off road trails. So i added a cargo box.

57m5lHNl.jpg

And if i need to back down one of those off road trails, or get into camp late i added some lighting.
Z5SpIA3l.jpg

They are on magnetic mounts so i can place them anywhere:
fowDg84l.jpg

And as with any old Eagle Scout, i like to be prepared. So i keep a fully organised paramedic bag color coded for different emergencies. Hopefully I never need the Red one. lol

eqjOBLHl.jpg

The 4Runner provides a good amount of space for just me and my gear. I tend to over prepare like brining a 15 and 40 degree sleeping bag no matter the season and even a compleat get home bag just incase i have to abandon the vehicleckle and hike to "civilisation". It's a little small for my aging body getting in and out, so if i decide to do this full time i may have to give up the speed of living out of a truck for a combo of a cargo trailer, or ideally a cargo van. But for now ill be adding a Gazelle/pop up canopy for the rainy days where i want to have some dry standing space.

I found some great places in ME,NH,NY,WV,VA,NC,SC and TN. Now i plan on doing this as much as i possibly can. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]This year i did the northern part of WV and was surprised at the amount and size of the camping areas, especally free ones. [/font]I'm just disappointed i didn't start doing this earlier. I'm at an odd cross roads, i am fully capable and comfortable being completely alone living on the road but making that big step is a lot, especially since i have such cheap rent right now and my job is 1/2mi from my home.  Time will tell, but waking up outside in nature is such a great feeling. 

OO48GEkl.jpg

zEbQAqyl.jpg

FwP2h0tl.jpg

Thank you for sharing your vehicle and journey details, they certainly are appealing and inspiring.

I particularly like your magnetic lights, they look extremely versatile and practical.

Nice to see how well prepared you were, with your recovery gear, paramedic bag and get home bag, worst case scenario and every eventuality anticipated and equipped for.

Your journey looks really lovely, even more so by the absence of crowds making it even more peaceful.

Thank you. The journey really got me thinking of living on the road full time and how to accomplish it out of a truck/suv. Time will tell, glad I found this forum!

Nice, my jump bag is to big. I have the same smaller organizer bags. So I’ll probably get something your size or smaller for the main bag. Don’t plan on carrying things like O2, but may not be a bad idea either. My current bag has a compartment for that. But welcome, and your input will be greatly appreciated!

Nice rig. Where did you get your magnetic light mounts?