jerman9069 introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerman9069

Reaction score
... I am just about to start.  Got the house for sale and will be buying an RV to pursue the life as we just retired.  

I have a technical question.  What do RVrs do about their driver's license and RV registration if they are wandering all over the Great USA?  I have read some places online that mention getting a mail forwarding box and street address and then use that street address to change the address on the driver's license; drag along small car's registration.  Is this true?

Welcome to the CRVL forums jerman9069! I copied your post from the RV thread so that members could easily see and respond to your questions.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

jerman9069 said:
I have a technical question.  What do RVrs do about their driver's license and RV registration if they are wandering all over the Great USA?  I have read some places online that mention getting a mail forwarding box and street address and then use that street address to change the address on the driver's license; drag along small car's registration.  Is this true?

Basically, yes, that's true.  There's lots of factors that go into picking a state of residence beside the location of your mail forwarder and where you are licensed/registered, including state income tax (or lack of), availability/cost of health care insurers (ACA/Obamacare), cost of vehicle insurance/registration, and how central it is to your most traveled areas.  I bet others can point out additional factors.

You might want to read one of Bob's more recent blogs for some of his thoughts as to why he chose Nevada for his state of residency and Pahrump for the location of his mail forwarder.  http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/moving-camp-pahrump-nv/

Welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle!

Suanne

Welcome to CRVL !   :)

Once you have your house for sale and the stuff you want to keep in some secure storage (think of PODS or similar services where you have an International Storage Container that may be stored in a warehouse along with  others...and can be shipped to your new location if you desire)  you could begin to travel with less worries. Many here have disposed of most of what they once owned so they would be free of it.  Without a home you are free of property taxes, utilities, and most of what would weigh you down with worries.  Then you're  just living out of your RV with your personal property within.
It could be expensive over time to store with PODS but for short term it might be best safest way if you have keepsakes you don't want to cast off.   

The next thing you may wish to consider is a state of residence which will offer the best options to you.  Recently South Dakota and Florida seemed to be the most popular.   

Yes you can get remail services or have family members or even a paralegal to attend to your affairs back home in your absence.   This is why it's nice to have as much settled, paid off, finished up, before you go on the long trips, and someone there you can trust to take care of any surprises.   (Murphy's law)

Welcome aboard the forums jerman !
Good luck with your downsizing !
Ditto on Bob's post on Home base , a lot of the info applies to other areas too.