Zika virus in Florida

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zika doesn't look serious at all. I know nothing about it until now, but the article spoke of it as a generally mild illness with a rash, fever and joint pain.

Canine said:
Zika doesn't look serious at all. I know nothing about it until now, but the article spoke of it as a generally mild illness with a rash, fever and joint pain.

The fear is of a possible correlation with birth complications.

Also, although this article says the virus cannot be transmitted person-to-person, I read a separate article which documented a case of someone receiving the virus from a sexual partner.

But I don't really buy into the fear mongering.

TMG51 said:
But I don't really buy into the fear mongering.

Particularly when all 3 of the cases have been traced to an outside of the continent transmission point.

News Flash:
We're all going to die !
Sooner or later.........

I'm sure there will always be something or other that we all need to panic/worry over.
After all , that's how they fill up the news!

Oh my goshk !
Next thing will be a spinach shortage !
Oh me , oh my.

Almost There said:
Particularly when all 3 of the cases have been traced to an outside of the continent transmission point.

I'm sorry, am I misunderstanding the basic science here?  If someone who got infected in South America is then bitten by a local mosquito in Florida, will the Zika virus not transfer to the Florida mosquito?  How long do we have before the local mosquitos are carrying it too?

Regards
John

While I'm not intimately familiar with vector born illnesses, I do know sometimes a virus or bacteria needs a specific mosquito.

Someone has virus, mosquito bites him, mosquito bites me, now I have virus.  That's how it works.  If there are people who have the virus (9 in Florida as of a few days ago), and they get bitten by a mosquito, and that mosquito goes about his business, then you have an outbreak.  Back in the old days the people with the virus might be quarantined, but we don't do that anymore.  But not to worry.  

"[font=Proxima-Nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the virus has also been associated with the rise of a dangerous birth defect in Brazil called [/font][font=Proxima-Nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]microcephaly[/font][font=Proxima-Nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], characterized by an abnormally small head and brain."[/font]

[font=Proxima-Nova, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Who's going to notice?[/font]

Canine said:
While I'm not intimately familiar with vector born illnesses, I do know sometimes a virus or bacteria needs a specific mosquito.

I have read that Florida has the exact same species of mosquito that is causing the problem in SA.

Regards
John

Latest posts