YouTube channel, Video, Social Media use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I enjoy that this site is refreshingly humble and practical, At least what I've seen so far. So I feel a little egotistical posting this, But I'm interested in starting a YouTube channel to share my experiences on the road. I have little experience with shooting videos and what would be the most user friendly equipment that would still provide decent quality. Are there any categories on these forums where people share their experiences with this aspect of nomadic traveling?

Or other resources you might suggest that could be helpful?

I'm currently building a mobile travel live/work unit in a Ford Transit van. My plan is to take next year off, a sabbatical, from my university teaching job, and travel around for a year starting this summer. A trial run for perhaps a more extended way of living. I'm an artist and one thing I want to investigate is artists communities around the country, interview artists, see what they are doing, how their communities receive support, etc. I may do a series of portraits of the people I interview, probably in watercolor or other quick sketch media. I would like to share this with whoever may be interested as I go. I'm thinking a blog, website, instagram, and possibly a YouTube channel.

I'm 62 and did not grow up with smart phones and social media. Not the typical glamorous, charismatic millennial Van Life* person on social media. But I can find interesting perspectives to examine life from and can get into interesting dialog with other people. I have fans of my artwork, but not really on social media as they are also older. I'll probably work for one more year at the university after I finish this trip and will be looking to relocate or even carry on living in the van if I find that is suitable for me. So I'm searching for places that seem to have the combination of things that provide opportunities for me to engage in things I enjoy and a market for my work. Part of the plan is to start the process of connection for a market for my work or alternate income stream after I stop teaching, which has not provided all that much towards my economic well being or retirement. So retirement doesn't mean not working, just working only on what I want and I don't have to make that much to live well and enjoy life.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I believe the National Park Service has an “Artist in the Park” program you might look into.

That sounds like might have a new spin on the typical van life blogs. Good for you. Keep us updated.

There is a nomad art community you might be interested in that is an off shoot of the rtr.

GoingMobile said:
I have little experience with shooting videos and what would be the most user friendly equipment that would still provide decent quality. Are there any categories on these forums where people share their experiences with this aspect of nomadic traveling?

I would think most universities would have a film and video department with someone able to give you some pointers.

Today's electronics make it pretty easy. My 10yo Sony camera makes pretty good videos but then I don't know what kind of quality you would need for Youtube.

Apple is always advertising how good the iPhone video quality is. Seems to me you would just need a tripod.

Edit: Look into the Artist in the Park program that Bullfrog mentioned. It’s very short term. 

You don’t need an expensive setup. I think if you have an interest and passion for something you’ll have a ready made community wherever you go and that’s the nice thing if you’re taking off on your own rather than expecting to make money (not saying you can’t make money just that it’s slow going to build a business online)
I’m not sure if I understood but it would be nice to see some art friendly cities like Asheville etc.

You might consider in addition to doing portraits of people, teaching non-artists some basics. I think a lot of us would like to capture some of the beauty we see. I would love to do some botanical drawing for example. Not exactly what you were aiming for but maybe a nice side for viewers.
Many happy accidents.... ;-)

Thanks for all of your suggestions. 

I'm aware of NP residencies, but have found a lot of typical artist residencies have suspended operations during the pandemic. Perhaps that will change. I do paint landscapes but don't ever paint the most beautiful places such as the national parks because it has already been done so well by so many including masters such as Bierstadt, Moran, Church, etc. that its hard to compete with that or find something relevant and new there. I tend to paint sites that are somewhere in between nature and the built environment and focus on the relationship between humans and nature. 

I teach drawing and painting classes for my current job. I may do some educational videos, as I currently am for the classes I'm teaching for the university, but from a location 2,000 miles away. It's a possibility, but the whole remote teaching during COVID has burned me out a bit on that front.

How would I find out more about the Nomad Art Community that is an offshoot of RTR? Do you know if they have a forum or facebook page?

I have tried the resources at my university but they have been so overwhelmed with many classes switching to online that its hard to receive much individual attention. I'm also not in the same location currently. I guess I was posting here in an effort to find some Nomadic people with experience with creating videos specifically for YouTube as they travel around to see what I might learn from their experience.

It may be that my iphone is a good solution. I'm going to try that, a GoPro and a Nikon D600 in the next month and see how well those work. And then I'll need to figure out which editing software will work for my needs yet have a reasonable learning curve. It's one of those things where the choices are so varied its hard to know where to start and how to narrow it down.

I appreciate your comments!

Rubber Tramp Art Community on Facebook.

It sounds like you’ve walked into a void that you would be perfect to fill. Seems there’s a bit of what you’re interested in but not much. That’s fantastic because everything everyone else wants to do has been done to death (I’ve thought of giving tarot readings on the road LOL) so it’s just waiting for you to begin and get it up and running. One of the sad things about California that has spread across the country is with the death of the middle class has come the death of affordable and accessible arts: fine art, theater, music, dance, artisans etc etc Maybe you could bring it to the people who otherwise wouldn’t have access. I love the ballet and haven’t been able to buy a ticket in 23 years.
Go for it!!

I am quite sure nobody needs to or would want to see me in a tutu doing Swan Lake. I'm a fairly traditional artist, drawing and painting in a realistic style but with a conceptual perspective that ties into a lot of other things. But I do really appreciate performative arts and more avant garde practices. One thing I've always disliked about art is that it tends to need the support of the ultra wealthy and as that gap in finances gets wider it becomes a narrower group. The mid range galleries I used to sell work out of have mostly gone out of business since 2008 and its mostly big and ultra exclusive galleries left representing many fewer artists. I'll typically spend a week to a month on each painting I make which doesn't allow me to compete with the modern consumer market on the low or even shrinking middle end. I guess I'm looking at it as exploration, see what is out there outside of the big cities, what people are doing and how they are surviving. Perhaps videos will be a way to share what I find and share the work I do with people regardless of whether they could afford to buy my art or would even want to. Not looking to monetize anything on the front end so much as to connect and possibly build an audience that could be a part of creating support for future endeavors.

I do like the idea of bringing art to people without much access to it, or bridging gaps that keep people away from enjoying it. But I'm also hesitant to present myself as an expert that should be reverentially listened to. I think thats probably more of a matter of finding the right presentation style. or ways of interacting with people. I like the idea of creating art experiences where people may not even realize that is what they are encountering. At this point its more about doing what I want to do and finding enough support to continue doing that and to afford health care when I need it.

I'm starting on some instructional videos for next semester next week. Hopefully I can make progress on seeing if the technology I have seems to work and teach myself some basic video editing. Hoping to be competent enough to produce some content by summer, which is also my teraget for finishing the van.

You can pretty much learn everything you need from youtube videos. But there are also lots of online courses that teach it. They will also list the equipment.

As to findfing and interviewing artist hopefully. By the time you are ready to head out there will be vaccines widely available. i suggest on uour travels. You also tie into it dome segments about the artist of previous years who also lived in colony types.of groups. There are still many people who love to look at and read about those artist. So the hits on the keywords about them will rapidly increase the number of your subscribers for all your content. Growing a channel takes thought into how to rapidly grow it so you dont get discouraged by slow growth.

I enjoy that this site is refreshingly humble and practical, At least what I've seen so far. So I feel a little egotistical posting this, But I'm interested in starting a YouTube channel to share my experiences on the road. I have little experience with shooting videos and what would be the most user friendly equipment that would still provide decent quality. Are there any categories on these forums where people share their experiences with this aspect of nomadic traveling?

I'm currently building a mobile travel live/work unit in a Ford Transit van. My plan is to take next year off, a sabbatical, from my university teaching job, and travel around for a year starting this summer. A trial run for perhaps a more extended way of living. I'm an artist and one thing I want to investigate is artists communities around the country, interview artists, see what they are doing, how their communities receive support, etc. I may do a series of portraits of the people I interview, probably in watercolor or other quick sketch media. I would like to share this with whoever may be interested as I go. I'm thinking a blog, website, instagram, and possibly a YouTube channel.

I'm 62 and did not grow up with smart phones and social media. Not the typical glamorous, charismatic millennial Van Life* person on social media. But I can find interesting perspectives to examine life from and can get into interesting dialog with other people. I have fans of my artwork, but not really on social media as they are also older. I'll probably work for one more year at the university after I finish this trip and will be looking to relocate or even carry on living in the van if I find that is suitable for me. So I'm searching for places that seem to have the combination of things that provide opportunities for me to engage in things I enjoy and a market for my work. Part of the plan is to start the process of connection for a market for my work or alternate income stream after I stop teaching, which has not provided all that much towards my economic well being or retirement. So retirement doesn't mean not working, just working only on what I want and I don't have to make that much to live well and enjoy life.

Any suggestions appreciated.
There are many van/vehicle dwellers who do this. Some offer advice on how they create their vids and what equipment they use. I suggest going to youtube and looking up the topic

I would message the creators of channels you like. Maybe not the super popular ones, since they are probably quite busy. But up and coming channels. Many list the equipment they use on their youtube pages.

Eg. The guys at Adventure Archives hike together and, IIRC, one of them is the videographer. On their About page at youtube they list their equipment:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdventureArchives/about

There are many van/vehicle dwellers who do this. Some offer advice on how they create their vids and what equipment they use. I suggest going to youtube and looking up the topic
All you need is a a cellphone Android or iPhone, free copy of Davinci Resolve to edit. May want to invest in a decent little shotgun microphone or some lapel mics, either wireless or hardwired. Video is only half the picture. Lousy or inaudible sound will sink your project quickly!

Can pretty much get going with what you have right now. stylistically, remember you are telling stories, even if informational. Even a straight ahead Informational video should have an emotional connection to it. The best connection is when people feel something while watching your video. It becomes memorable, and hopefully valuable. Be unique. If you don't have a unique take, then let someone else do it, because they already have. You're not producing videos for everyone. Have a target audience.

Remember, video is about “showing.” If there is no valuable visual or audio information, do an article instead. Much quicker to read can scan for the high points. And a lot less of a headache to produce.

Find videos you like, and then figure out why you like them. The subject matter, the length, shot selection, composition, pacing. Then copy them stylistically.

Edit, edit, edit. Keep it right. Only include what keeps the narrative moving forward.

Title and key words will determine whether anyone sees your videos or not.
“Choosing a solar panel” is not as compelling or targeted as “Solar panels for van or RV, technologies you should definitely avoid.” or “Choosing Solar panels Wisely, The best return for your investment when considering solar for your van or RV.” Pay attention in how you search for videos. What are the key words you use, the order.

Find voices in your target audience that will “truthfullly” evaluate your videos for what is working and what is not.

You can even get a drone that will shoot HD video for under $70. That way if you crash it irreparably no great loss. chalk it up to experience for when you get your next drone. But only use a drone if it is needed to drive your narrative forward.

All the best,
from a just retired video producer.

Latest posts