Your response to rising gas prices?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I haven't regretted buying my old V8 Ford Expedition as my road-trip/urban camping vehicle, but it's harder to feel enthusiastic as the gas prices keep going up and up. I've thought about scaling down, but there's something to the idea that the most affordable vehicle is always the one that's fully paid for, which this one is. I guess my alternatives strategies could include:

• Walking/taking the bus for short local trips and reserving the Exp almost solely for long distances (highway miles) or situations that require cargo hauling.
  • Taking state highways instead of interstates so I can easily stay at 60-65 mph.
  • Doing as little in-town driving as possible in any destination cities I visit on my trips.
  • Planning shorter trips.
  • Taking fewer trips (I don't like this one, but...).

How do you vandwellers choose to adapt to fuel spikes (if you do)?

I don't drive much to begin with, so the price of gas has little effect on me. My ordinary routine is to spend 3-4 weeks in a city to see all the local sights (and I always use the local bus system to get around the city), then drive to the next destination. My normal monthly gas bill is $50-100 depending on how far the next destination is (plus $50-70 for a monthly bus pass).

One must shrug and just go on. In my memory, every time I 'hit the road' gasoline was at an all time high. Remember when it broke 55 cents a gallon? Early 70's, when the stations shut down because they sold all they could get.

I move to my new site (here in NM) and then I sit for the 14 days. Then the next site for the next 14 days. I'm currently 23 miles to the nearest Walmart and at 12-14 mpg with the hills, gas will kill me. I don't move far because pulling the trailer takes a lot of fuel. Unfortunately, my van is financed, so that takes up a huge chunk of my income. Every month I think I'll be fine, but it's one thing after another and the checkbook is empty. I go shopping every two weeks and if worse comes to worse, I go to the local general store which has exhorbitant prices for milk, bread and eggs. But I'm pretty good at planning the groceries. I buy the UHT milk at Walmart $1.92 a quart for emergencies and keep it in my pantry if I run out. I've only had to use one quart of that in the last three months. I go nowhere else except for long walks with the dog.

Tomorrow. I have to go up to TorC for blood draw for labwork, so that will cost a pretty penny in gas. But if I don't get it done, my doc will fire me. Joy of joys, though, I'll go to Walmart and buy some fresh milk!

Life is pretty quiet when you stay in one place. Nice.
Ted

Rigs differ in their mpg, but my 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD gets maximum mileage when I drive at 55. I do drive 60-65 on interstates, @ also on secondary roads when traffic is heavy or passing is difficult.

Other gas-saving strategies are to accelerate gently and to coast to a stop at red lights, using the brakes as little as possible. And when camping at the same site for several days, I take as few trips to town as possible by "multitasking" when shopping rather than making multiple trips to stores, water sources & gas stations.

Keeping tires inflated to the recommended pressure can help increase MPG.

skyl4rk said:
Gas is cheaper out west, so go west.

Not really. In SC it’s pretty cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gas is not cheaper in California. in fact I think it's the most expensive in the nation. highdesertranger

skyl4rk said:
Gas is cheaper out west, so go west.

But out west the cities are further apart, so it evens out for me anyway.  :)

In the east, one can drive for an hour in any direction and hit another city. Out west, one can easily go 4-5 hours without seeing anything at all.

I'm into this lifestyle so I can travel and explore and follow good weather. So I just bite the bullet.

I guess I'd be in better shape if I was full-time vandwelling. I could take the money i put into this stupid apartment rent and buy a lot of gas with it.

I invest my time oxidizing my rig (making sure to not oxidize critical drivetrain components as I don’t want to lose mobility - rust is my friend, not my wife) sweep as much dirty outside as possible (this saves 2 pounds minimum), drain the fresh & gray tanks dry, remove the ice from the fridge, make sure I’ve drank every can of soda and bottle of juice, even if my stomach is full (I’ll pee it out as I drive), make sure my tires are exactly at their rated PSI, give away at least 10 pounds of stuff, then make sure the house batteries are at exactly 74% charged as each battery will be one pound lighter when at this level of discharge (I believe therefore it’s true).

I then check NOAA, Weather Channel, And the other indie weather forecasts, at least 5 days in advance to plan travel days around headwinds and air density, followed by checking the price of gas (I refuse to spend a penny more than I have to, even though I can easily afford the miles I drive per year at $10 a gallon. I have gotten very good at predicting my gas bill to the nickel. If the best weather day is before the cheapest gas day, I’ll try to find a gas station with a car wash that also offers a discount on gas if you buy a car wash, and calculate if the discount is greater than my price prediction. If not I’ll drive on slightly more expensive gas to catch the headwind if yes I’ll drive to the gas station on my travel day, and wait for someone who is getting a car wash, and ask to pay them cash so I can fill my tank on the same transaction so I get the discounted gas price, this sometimes takes me 3 hours or more but I Save at least $1.217 on gas. Since I’m not one of these simple dudes I Compound my savings in the stock market, that $1.217 will be worth $30,000 in 40 years. People who believe profit is evil make live harder for themselves.

I have the luxury of time so I can drive as slow as 45 mph on the interstate, I know there’s a more scenic route but the interstate is usually the CHEAPEST to drive when moving to a new area! Driving at 45 saves more fuel singlehandedly than all my MPG-gaining tactics strategies. But I love seeing the lips of Abraham Lincoln move, screaming blood curdling screams that are music to my ears.

Did you know you can get a slowpoke ticket? When I suspect a speed trap or pass a possible hiding spot I speed up to 55, yes this costs fuel but is far cheaper than getting a slowpoke ticket which is just as much as a speeding ticket in most jurisdictions.

In the summer I’ll open the hood so the sun warms up the engine, so I waste less fuel heating up the engine. I’ve painted certain parts in the engine bay black, which will pay off in 9 more years.

I value my time at 0 because VJD1977 and I’m able to optimize my MPG more than most. The biggest way I Save is to ______ ______ I don’t really like when it’s cheaper.

Just trying to find the best discount credit card or payback program. 3% back gets you something. So $0.09 back on $3 gallon, or $0.12 back on $4. Not bad but not great.

Anyone getting 5% on any credit cards? Can add another $0.05 per gallon if I use a SHELL discount program

Please share about discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than not driving, gentle driving habits are probably the best way to max out mpg. Consider bringing alternate transport (bicycle, electric bike, moped, dirt bike, etc.) that you can bring along for errands and exploring and keep the rolling tent stationary.

Brand specific credit cards cash back programs usually mean higher price at the pump. Wawa has a card with 5 cents per gallon. But Visa cash back at 3% is better, unless well under $2 gallon. I can use the Visa at any brand gasoline.

Weight said:
 . . . But Visa cash back at 3% is better . . .

Weight, what Visa are you using?

I have a budget.  Higher gas prices = less miles traveled in a month.

I wish I could find more old-style state highways where it's easy to drive 55-60 mph without causing a logjam of angry drivers (especially on 2-lane roads where visibility problems prevent passing for miles at a time). 

That's when the smaller highways even offer slower posted speeds. I chose a sleepy-looking state highway state highway over the interstate option on my last trip, only to discover that the speed limit was 70 most of the way....

I immediately start looking for really good buys on vehicles that get really poor MPG maybe even get them for free as the bottom drops out of the market. Maybe an older surburban or 1 ton truck? Hang around the gas pumps with my electric bike and offer to trade even and pay for the $100 worth of gas they just pumped. Just might work!

Latest posts