Your Opinion on Roadtreks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2000 is multi-laminated plywood, no particle board. The recessed floor is the shower pan and allows 3 extra inches of headroom and is about 5 feet long. Good cooking height too. It has never been a problem for me (us). Mine has sat outside for most of its' life and the three skylight windows do not leak.

The 190's are on a Dodge chassis and their 318 is legendary. If the cruise control doesn't work, it is usually a clock spring. Not sure what that really is but that is what I have read.

I love my roadtrek. I hope I can make it outlast me as I have made so many modifications to it.

If all the rubber seals are still pliable and no fluid leaks, you may have found a gem. I would be sure to change all the fluids on it and be sure to check the date codes on the tires. A few years ago may have been 10!

Class C's have particle board and the front top window leaks.

Are RT's Dodges,Chevy or Fords? If a Ford, research 'Ford sparkplug problems'.

Until the newer models came out they were all Dodge and Chevy. I think Pleasure Way builds on the ford chassis.

All,

Could not be any more happier with mine... went from a class A to a Roadtrek. Ordered mine with storage instead of middle seat. Bought new in 2016 - built on a 2016 Chevy chassis, and I did a few mods...
It's just the dog and I... bought it for travel and we've been all over. Dog loves it - sits in front looking out.
Getting 16+ MPG. No problems except a nagging GM A/C leak - but that's not Roadtrek.

dcb in VT

Hi all - I've read through this thread with interest.  

I've sourced a 1992 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge base), 74K miles, $14K, one owner before the dealership, new tires and a few other odds and ends.  Looks in really nice condition, with some paint touchups, and there's a video demo/walkthrough so hopefully not too many surprises..  It's a ways away--a day's road trip to get up there and back--so I want to be as prepared as possible.  

What sort of things should I be peeling back to look at for leaks/mold/rust/etc?  What kinds of issues I should ask about?

My thinking is that they are a wee bit crowded - certainly for me and the dog and sometimes my partner.  So I was thinking of pulling some things out to open up, swap out the loo for a composting version, install a permanent raised bed in the back with storage for backpacking gear etc.  At that price, do you think it worth it to buy only to de-Roadtrek it?  At 1992, I imagine it's not got a lot of life left in terms of resale especially if I want to hang onto it for a few years to learn as much as I can about vanlife.

Thank you all!

Get underneath it and look for rust on the front frame horns. The steering box is bolted to the driver side frame horn. It's critical that you do that or have a mechanic do it if you're not familiar with what I'm talking about. If there's rust there, walk away. If not, you're good. Also, if no rust, make sure you drive it on the highway and see if the steering is sloppy.

I have an '02 Dodge van 3500 which is the same chassis. I only had a little surface rust on the frame horn and was able to take care of it myself. I had to rebuild my front end due to steering slop. I did half the work and a shop did the ball joints and upper control arms.

All that said, I'd love to have a Roadtrek

Edited to add: Since it's a day's drive, ask the dealer to take pictures of the frame horns and sent them to you. It wouldn't hurt to add the pics to this thread

Excellent advice, thanks.  It's a little better than that - it'll be a day to go up AND back.  But I'd like  mechanic to check on it, so I might have to do AirBnB overnight.   Off to the dearly departed Click 'n Clack to find a mechanic ...

Clock spring refers to a spiral spring inside the steering column that is used to wind and unwind wiring connected to the steering wheel's controls as the steering wheel is rotated to and fro. There may also be a circular electrical contact mechanism as well.

I owned a '97 Dodge Caravan that had an issue with the clock spring. It had many, many miles, turns, and curves.

Almost There said:
Crowded layout, have everything crammed in to them that a 35' Class A would have and terribly lacking on GOOD storage space.

In an effort to put in seating for 3 (or more), a3 way fridge, at least a 2 burner stove, fresh water tanks, gray and black water tanks, furnace, a/c, shower, toilet, sink, bed, dining area etc. etc. etc. they leave only a narrow walkway down the middle.

None of the storage areas are terribly large because the mfr did the layout with all the components in mind as a first need and then used what was left over for storage.

I own a 1998 Dodge 190 Popular Roadtrek and I couldn't disagree more, especially regarding your interpretation of the storage space. My Roadtrek has so much storage space that I can't fill it all, even with two people traveling and lots of fishing gear in tow. We've found our Roadtrek to have ample storage space. Then again, some people want to bring everything but the kitchen sink along when they travel so I suppose the idea of "storage space" is subjective.

Second, regarding your reference to the center aisle as narrow, one would have to be quite large to not be comfortable walking down the center aisle of our Roadtrek. Once again, ample room.

Having a '98, the only thing I've found truly lacking is that it has a battery cabinet built for a single battery which I'm sure may have been plenty back in 1998, but for today's use, especially working on the road, we tend to require a bit more. I'd like to find a way to have a second battery, but with that said, the Roadtreks that are newer than mine all have plenty of additional battery space.

Cheers and happy trails!