Your Opinion on Roadtreks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
Hello everybody:

Not sure if this should be in the Van or RV forum, but here goes. What is your opinion on Roadtreks? I was very impressed by the ones I saw at the Flagstaff summer gathering in June. One apparent drawback is the low clearance. Any other drawbacks you can think of?

I am considering buying an older Roadtrek, possibly a 170, which will bring the purchase price down a lot. I was originally considering a cargo van, but a recent arthritis diagnosis made me reconsider. I am still in good shape, but in future years, as the arthritis progresses, the full headroom offered by a Roadtrek will be an advantage.

Thanks for your opinion.

Van for Now

I'm on the like side of the fence!
I'd be happy to have one as my next downsize.

Just my personal opinion from looking at a lot of them and deciding that I didn't want one - so take my thoughts on them with that in mind!!

Crowded layout, have everything crammed in to them that a 35' Class A would have and terribly lacking on GOOD storage space.

In an effort to put in seating for 3 (or more), a3 way fridge, at least a 2 burner stove, fresh water tanks, gray and black water tanks, furnace, a/c, shower, toilet, sink, bed, dining area etc. etc. etc. they leave only a narrow walkway down the middle.

Standing height is supplied by dropping the center floor which in turn lowers the ground clearance which is also lowered by the drain outlets for the holding tanks. The high top isn't a really high high top which was done for cost reasons and also for 'appearances' - to some the smooth lines of the mid top look more aesthetic than the 24" high top.

None of the storage areas are terribly large because the mfr did the layout with all the components in mind as a first need and then used what was left over for storage.

Also, the lower the number of the Roadtrek - ie, 170, 190, 200 the shorter the vehicle but still with the same components inside at the sacrifice of layout and storage.

What type of arthritis are you looking at. I've had osteoarthritis for over 40 years now and the more I do, the better I feel. I'm in my 60's, canoe trip and backpack as much as possible, work out at the gym (not often enough...sigh), walk at least a couple of miles several times a week and don't take anything more for it than Ibuprofen as needed. Now, other forms of arthritis are different but still, I know countless people for whom arthritis in any of its' forms is not debilitating or makes them limit their life much.
Yes, being bent over in a cargo van with no high top would be a PITA (and the neck... :rolleyes: ) but there are alternatives that IMO beat the Roadtrek hands down!!

Again, just my humble opinion!!

VanForNow said:
 I am considering buying an older Roadtrek, possibly a 170, which will bring the purchase price down a lot. I was originally considering a cargo van, but a recent arthritis diagnosis made me reconsider. I am still in good shape, but in future years, as the arthritis progresses, the full headroom offered by a Roadtrek will be an advantage.

Thanks for your opinion.

Van for Now

VFN:  I've owned  a RT 190 Versatile (19')  for 15 years now and have been quite happy with it overall.  I love not having to tow a trailer and never have had the desire to want something bigger.  Even the newer RoadTreks seem too big (190) for me....I think I'd choose the 170--if I was to ever to get a new one.   The best advice I can give you is to borrow or rent one for at least two weeks to see how it works for you.

The one thing I would watch for is that the isle is wide enough that you don't have to step sideways as I have found that in tiny spaces it can be very hard on the hips and knees. Also, make sure you are OK without a lot of windows in a tight space. I have read many posts where people are very happy with the Roadtreks, but of the ones I read, most didn't use the shower because of the hassle of set-up and wiping it down. If I were choosing a van, my favorites are Great West and American Cruiser. They are taller on the road though. Good luck with your choice.

Being single, I don't really need a dedicated space for a shower / toilet or even a stove and oven. I would probably take all of those spaces and convert them to storage. A camp stove works fine for me along with a microwave, portapotti, and a pump up sprayer converted to shower. All of those things and more could fit into a storage cabinet.

Roadtreck been around for a while and I haven't heard any real complains.   what I don't like is that they are like 10 pounds of potatoes on a 10 lbs back and too many thing to many gadgets. but that is my personal choice.    Check the mileage and conditions, most of the used one have a too may miles under the hood.  Another thing you may want to look at is a smaller class c.  Compare a Roadtrek (class B) with a comparable class C motor home and usually the class b price and mileage is higher.   Good Luck in your hunt.

I like 'em! My plan (hope) is to find one with a ratty interior and strip it so I can start from scratch.

I like the fact that they already have the plumbing, wiring, etc installed so I don't have to install as much myself.
I want to gut the inside and build my own layout, using the already installed wiring, breakers, generator, water lines, pumps, plumbing, etc.

That way I end up with a much roomier interior but still get all the bells and whistles.

I actually found one like that a few years ago. It had been left outside in the blazing, San Bernardino desert for 12+ years, with the windows rolled up. You could smell that the inside had been roasted. It only had 16,000 miles on it, but the guy wanted $26,000 for it, and it had some worrisome signs of oil leaks and more rust than I wanted to deal with.

I know a guy who lives in a 170 and he loves it.

I'm a big fan of Roadtreks. They can feel crowded, but that is very subjective and each person will have a different idea. The ground clearance really isn't so bad, it's the  fiberglass steps on the sides that get banged up--you can just ignore them. 

Check out this video i shot of one of our members 170. It's gorgeous and I could live in it for the rest of my life very easily!

[video=youtube]

I don't know too much about them but their reputation seems to speak for itself. They've been making them for 36 years and you don't last 36 years making vehicles at that price point if you produce a bad product. If you've been in them and like their layout then I think you found yourself a great van. There are multiple forums on Roadtreks and even very specific forums on the different types like a forum for Roadtreks on sprinter bodies if you want to find more info.

Good luck!

There may have been handling issues with some older models built on the Dodge chassis but they seem to have an overall good rating.

I like my Roadtrek. Yes, it would feel tight every once in a while when I first moved in it, but if I bought a cargo van and outfitted it with everything I wanted, then it would also be crowded...and I didn't have the trouble of outfitting it. I think the best thing to think of as far as living in any van, cargo or conversion, is live out of it instead of in it. Because I've seen outfitted cargo vans with less room, less storage, less center "hallway" than mine. I didn't have the trouble of figuring out plumbing, wiring, etc., so I'm very, very pleased with my Roadtrek. It's also an older one, but it has no handling problems like a poster above says. The could very well happen later on, but so far so good. It's very high mileage, but it's only ever been a southern vehicle, so no rust, and it seems like it was very well taken care of...even maybe garage kept.

Oh, as far as wiping the bathtub/shower down, yes, that can be a pain sometimes. However, I'd have one added to a cargo van because I like the convenience of showering before leaving my van. So, I'd have to wipe down whatever, be it a added cargo van shower or a Roadtrek shower.

If you want a live aboard vehicle now and don't want to build and build for months or years, a RoadTrek is a good choice. The cabinetry is well done and there is a lot of storage. There are a lot of smart features built into the design which if you build it yourself, you probably won't have figured out you needed it or know how to design it, like a lot of countertops that slide out, or storage areas in easy to use places. You can choose to dry camp with limited utilities, or plug it in and have full services, water, sewer, electric, air conditioning, ac/dc/propane fridge, microwave, water heater, it has all the modern conveniences. For one person, it is an easy way to full time liveaboard, either with the utilities or without, your choice.

They are expensive, but seem to hold their value. For those that don't use the appliances, a simpler self-built van may will be less expensive. But for those that don't have the skills or time, they are a way to get into van living quickly, with as much comfort and amenities as one wants.

Well, a used van (Within reason) does me $3K-11K

Road Treks I saw a Salvaged Title on going for $12.5K and one for $20K....

I'll stay away from a long term relationship with them...YMMV....

In that case I would say comparing the price of an empty van to a finished Roadtrek is an apples to oranges thing .
The van could still cost less after building the inside but then add the facilities skipped in the van build that the RT has , the labor and know how and probably the difference is much less.....?

Not arguing but just want the OP to get the full picture. That's why they ask us , right ?

Obviously I was speaking of an EMPTY van, not a roadtrek...Or did you miss that I did mention a "Salvaged" one went for 12.5K and a used one for 20K??