You may now need a passport

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a passport card, too, a few years ago when it looks as though a road trip might take us into Canada. The State Dept. webs site says you can use the card to get the booklet -- but I could find no info on HOW one does that.

But for REAL ID purposes, I'm sure the card is fine since it has the chip in it.

I decided just 3 weeks ago to get a passport, first time for me. There was some info circulating about Oklahoma not letting people fly out of OKC without one starting this next year. I rarely fly, but you never know. Plus, I wanted to be able to go into Mexico for vision and meds aspect come January. I spent about $20 on passport quality photos (bought extra for concealed carry permit), $110 for the book and $25 for processing fee.

After reading some of the above, glad I went ahead and got this done.

compassrose said:
I live in NM with a current NM driver's license. At one point they were saying that NM dr licenses would not be accepted for flying. I really wouldn't know. Since I went thru the mess of getting a NM drivers license after my TN license expired out here, I too advocate getting a passport. It would have made my getting a driver's license much easier. It's easier to get a passport either before or shortly after dumping your stix-n-brix. That said, I still don't have one. It's not that "cheap", depending of course on your definition of "cheap". A first time adult passport requires a photo ($ unknown), $135 for the book only, $55 for the card only, $165 for both. I suspect that the passport card would be sufficient for most of us. BUT having said that, I would be more comfortable with an actual passport. I never would have thought that I would need a passport to live and travel in the US.

If you get your photo from a different location, you can download the form and take it to a post office with no appointment needed. You can even use one from your computer. (see link below)
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

https://www.usa.gov/passport
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/fees.html

Good information. Be sure to check all the guidelines and for taking a photo though, they are definitely strict about it. I had a little bit of a delay due to my ears not being visible enough due to hair. White background, natural skin tones, no hair in your face or over your forehead, no glasses, no hats, etc. 10 years from now I'll probably just pay someone to take my photo. You also can't use flash or have any shadowing behind your head from a camera flash or anything else. Fun fact: The card comes with a black and white photo, while the passport book comes with the photo in full color.

I believe I paid a $25 processing fee on top of the $165.

Montana is refusing REAL ID. The Feds keep backing down when a deadline rolls around. October 10th is the next deadline. The people we have in office haven't budged and have said they won't. Previously elected officials have also rebuffed REAL ID, so it isn't just a couple rogues standing their ground. Time will tell, though.

I obtained a passport in part to have a second form of ID in case I lost my DL. Occasionally, one needs two forms of ID, so having two State accepted picture ID's is helpful. That is a rare occurrence, but if you need a spare form of picture ID, you usually NEED it.

Getting a passport for the first time requires you to be there in person. If you want to renew it, you can often do it by mail. If you are stationary and can do it, now might be a good time; that way when time comes to renew, you won't need to be somewhere. If you apply for a passport in a state other than your state of residence, you need an additional form of ID. Even if you decide to not acquire a passport, how to go about it is good knowledge to have. And the waiting period will only get longer the more you put it off. You can shorten the waiting period, but it'll cost ya.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

Having a passport book and card is a significant peace of mind to me personally. Before I was vandwelling I was in a situation I needed to get out of ASAP, and were it not for the delay of obtaining a passport I would have been able to skip the country and stay with a friend. The lack of a valid passport was the sole obstacle--and it arrived in the mail right as I found my van. It's still there as a backup option.

It was also a relief to me when I had a 48 hour period where it appeared my wallet had been stolen. When hopes of finding it appeared slim, I mentally worked through the process of canceling and replacing everything, and realized that proving my identity to obtain another driver's license and such should be relatively easy with passport in hand.

Canine said:
Montana is refusing REAL ID. The Feds keep backing down when a deadline rolls around. October 10th is the next deadline. The people we have in office haven't budged and have said they won't. Previously elected officials have also rebuffed REAL ID, so it isn't just a couple rogues standing their ground. Time will tell, though.

I obtained a passport in part to have a second form of ID in case I lost my DL. Occasionally, one needs two forms of ID, so having two State accepted picture ID's is helpful. That is a rare occurrence, but if you need a spare form of picture ID, you usually NEED it.

Getting a passport for the first time requires you to be there in person. If you want to renew it, you can often do it by mail. If you are stationary and can do it, now might be a good time; that way when time comes to renew, you won't need to be somewhere. If you apply for a passport in a state other than your state of residence, you need an additional form of ID. Even if you decide to not acquire a passport, how to go about it is good knowledge to have. And the waiting period will only get longer the more you put it off. You can shorten the waiting period, but it'll cost ya.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

I completed my very first passport application by mail this past year. I did make an appointment with my post office in order to complete the process where an official required two forms of ID, but I had to be there to mail out my completed application anyways. So I guess technically you do have to present those IDs in person, but it's really such a minuscule bother. Filling the application out is pretty easy, they provide an online application that will churn out a printable PDF when completed to take to the post office. It's really easy, honestly, I don't know why I didn't apply sooner.

i got a passport about 9 years ago when I took a trip to Guadalajara, Mexico - I'll have to renew it soon. But I still enjoy showing them my concealed carry permit when they ask for a second government issued ID, especially at the airport or postoffice. Just because I'm that ornery and like to see their reaction. ;)

Having a passport is nice, especially if I want to hop over to Mexico while visiting my sister in California, but it is a shame that we need so many forms of ID just to travel in our home country. If I recall my American history, wasn't the revolutionary war fought partially over the right of the people to move freely without having to show papers from the King's representatives here in the New World?

Queen said:
I didn't know about the Real ID stuff so when I went to get my FL drivers license in May I was shocked by how much information they required.  They seemed perplexed by the fact that I'm married but still have my original name, that and the fact that I'm a woman and so is my wife, very confusing for those poor fellas at the DMV.  :D

That gave me a chuckle.  Good for you!

masterplumber said:
i got a passport about 9 years ago when I took a trip to Guadalajara, Mexico - I'll have to renew it soon. But I still enjoy showing them my concealed carry permit when they ask for a second government issued ID, especially at the airport or postoffice. Just because I'm that ornery and like to see their reaction. ;)

Having a passport is nice, especially if I want to hop over to Mexico while visiting my sister in California, but it is a shame that we need so many forms of ID just to travel in our home country. If I recall my American history, wasn't the revolutionary war fought partially over the right of the people to move freely without having to show papers from the King's representatives here in the New World?

Yeah things have really tightened up around the borders. I really dislike crossing as it is, last time I had my entire vehicle searched and was essentially questioned in only what I could describe an interrogation room and then demanded to unlock my computer and phone so they could snoop through it. All because I got a new vehicle and couldn't ring off my license plate number at the drop of a hat. I'm looking at you, Canada. I get nostalgic of the past knowing this would be a non-issue just a few years back.

Until New Mexico ceases licensing illegals they are not in compliance either; passport here I come......