Real ID drivers license and Arizona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37446

Reaction score
Howdy,

I knew there were a few states not Real ID compliant but I did not know that Arizona isn’t either.  The 5 states that got a waiver until 2018 are:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/13/real-id-law-facing-backlash-from-states-refusing-t/

By Andrea Noble - The Washington Times - Thursday, October 13, 2016

“The Department of Homeland Security this week rejected requests to extend the amount of time five states have to develop identification cards compliant with the Real ID Act, upping the incentive for states to fall in line with the federal proof-of-identity law.
The move means that, come 2018, residents of Oklahoma, Kentucky, Maine, Pennsylvania and South Carolina might not be allowed to board commercial flights with only state driver’s licenses and would instead be required to use an alternative form of identification such as a passport, according to Homeland Security.”   End of quote

I thought AZ was ok till a friend who just turned 65 had to renew their license and stamped across it was something about not compliant.  So I looked it up and true, in AZ you have to pay $25 for an 8 year “travel ID”...

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...btaining-real-id-compliant-licenses/82464562/

[font=arial, sans-serif]“Attention travelers: You are now free to apply for a travel ID. But there's no need to rush.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]The retooled Arizona driver's license won't be mandatory until October 2020 for people boarding commercial airlines. But after a long, politically rocky birth, the Arizona Department of Transportation will start issuing the card Friday, hoping to phase it in over the next 4½ years.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]The Voluntary Travel ID costs $25, is good for eight years and will look almost identical to the existing driver's license, with the addition of a gold star.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]The card brings Arizona into compliance with the federal REAL ID Act of 2005. In addition to being necessary for using federally regulated flights beginning in fall 2020, the identification card also gives access to a number of secure federal facilities.“.   End of quote[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Wikipedia had an article that explained it, here’s a section:[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]“[size=medium]On December 20, 2013, the Department of Homeland Security announced that implementation of Phase 1 would begin on January 20, 2014, which followed a yearlong period of "deferred enforcement". There are four planned phases, three of which apply to areas that affect relatively few U.S. citizens—e.g., DHS headquarters, nuclear power plants, and restricted and semi-restricted federal facilities.[size=x-small][5]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act#cite_note-ncsl-5[/size] On January 8, 2016, DHS issued an implementation schedule for Phase 4, stating that starting January 22, 2018 "passengers with a driver’s license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight". Starting October 1, 2020 "every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel."[size=x-small][6]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act#cite_note-6[/size] As of October 2017, 28 states and territories have been certified as compliant, and 28 have been granted extensions or a grace period”.    End of quote[/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Maybe it doesn’t affect very many vandwellers but still I was surprised that AZ wasn’t compliant.  There seems to be 2 dates, 2018 and 2020 floating around out there.  Oh, and where did they come up with 56 states and territories?  I didn’t know there were 6 “territories”.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]:huh: [/font]

Can't even get a real ID in SC yet. So I guess no federal jury duty for me...

This world isn\ said:
Howdy,
[font=arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Oh, and where did they come up with 56 states and territories?  I didn’t know there were 6 “territories”.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]:huh:
[/font]

US territories - Puerto Rico, Guam, the United States Virgin Islands,  the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.

This world isn\ said:
Howdy,

I knew there were a few states not Real ID compliant but I did not know that Arizona isn’t either.  The 5 states that got a waiver until 2018 are:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/13/real-id-law-facing-backlash-from-states-refusing-t/

By Andrea Noble - The Washington Times - Thursday, October 13, 2016

“The Department of Homeland Security this week rejected 

I thought AZ was ok till a friend who just turned 65 had to renew their license and stamped across it was something about not compliant.  So I looked it up and true, in AZ you have to pay $25 for an 8 year “travel ID”...

[font=arial, sans-serif]:huh: [/font]

Just so you know we had to pay that extra $25 in NYstate back in 2011, my inhanced driver's license expires in 2019. At that time it was voluntary but it allowed us to cross in and out of Canada without having to carry a passport.  We were told eventually it would be required to fly on any flights in the USA.  After 9-11 I didn't mind that extra fee.

I am going through getting the AZ drivers license right now. they made me get all kinds of proof of who I am and where I live. I have all my paper work in order now. I think it's going to be an enhanced license because they just started all this, you used to walk in turn in your license from another state and they would issue you a new license immediately. if you look on the web site it is confusing as to what you are getting. at the DMV they gave me a list of what I needed and it's the same as the enhanced ID. highdesertranger

I don't understand the fuss, just use your passport?

John61CT said:
I don't understand the fuss,  just use your passport?

Most people that fly within the USA don't have passports. So this is forcing them to get a more secure form of I.D.

I'm saying those living in the holdout states, if the issue is causing problems for you, getting a passport is an easy solution.

And BTW might just come in handy, since many wonderful overseas destinations are much cheaper to get to than travelling domestically.

I've had one since I was two days old, can't imagine ever letting it lapse.

My kids still don't have SSNs, so I'm not shilling for fascist gummint here.

Passport card is a great option for people within the states; much cheaper too.

John61CT said:
I'm saying those living in the holdout states, if the issue is causing problems for you, getting a passport is an easy solution.

And BTW might just come in handy,  since many wonderful overseas destinations are much cheaper to get to than travelling domestically.

I've had one since I was two days old,  can't imagine ever letting it lapse.

My kids still don't have SSNs,  so I'm not shilling for fascist gummint here.

That post about SSN’s brought to mind that song by Merle Haggard, “Big City”.  Seems appropriate: https://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/haggard-merle/big-city-474.html

[font=Verdana, Arial]“I'm tired of this dirty old city.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]Entirely too much work and never enough play.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]And I'm tired of these dirty old sidewalks.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]Think I'll walk off my steady job today.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]And gimme all I got comin' to me,[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]And keep your retirement and your so called social security.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial]Big City turn me loose and set me free.“[/font]

End of quote

I have a South Dakota Real ID driver's license and it expires early April. I don't want to go to SD to renew when it's still winter, and their remote renewal (by mail or online) requires more documentation, more hoops than doing it in person. So I had been thinking about changing my residency. Arizona was an option, but then I read their requirements. Sheesh. I guess I'll be freezing my ass in Rapid City after all.

MrNoodly said:
I have a South Dakota Real ID driver's license and it expires early April.

Are you able to renew up to six months in advance of the expiration date? It's in the 60's on Sunday, Nov 26, close to 70 on Monday, 50's for the rest of the week.

I was under the impression that once you have a Real I.D. that the heavy lifting was done and it made it easier the next time. Ibfigutred that when in have to renew my driver's license that I would only need to show my passport card. Guess I better look it up.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

jacqueg said:
US territories - Puerto Rico, Guam, the United States Virgin Islands,  the Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.

i GUESS HIS SEARCH ENGINE IS BROKEN

I don't know if the above was referencing me but there's only 5 territories, I had forgotten about the District of Columbia.  I would think that is often overlooked...

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+...607j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=utf-8&safe=active&

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]In 2009, the United States Mint minted and issued six quarter-dollar coins in honor of the District of Columbia and five U.S. territories: the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.  [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Nov 2, 2016[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif](Original article bolding removed by myself...)[/font]

I just went through all this crap earlier this year in NV. after moving out of Commiefornia. As a Veteran of 28 years service and using the exact same birth certificate that I used to join the A.F.  wasn't good enough for DMV, neither was my Govt issued Retired Military ID card wasn't good enough for them, and of course they could've cared less what state I came from. I had to spend over $150 for a passport using that same birth certificate for a passport, what a crock! DMV didn't care that they violated my 4th, 5th, and 8th amendment rights in order to get a "real ID" drivers license. Just have all your ducks in a row when you go to DMV, or be prepared to be raked over the coals and treated like a 5th class citizen. Rant off! Good Luck

The other eleven don't have permanent non-military populations.

John61CT said:
The other eleven don't have permanent non-military populations.

Johh, I usually get what you are saying but I'm lost on this one. What other 11? States?  The article referenced 22 states, 5 territories and the DC,     I think.

Pebbles - that's wild! If your retired military ID isn't good enough then what other than a passport or the passport card is? That's a federally issued document with picture.

Here's what Wiki says about the passport card. I was unaware of this at all:

"The passport card (previously known as the People Access Security Service Card, or PASS Card) is a credit card–sized national identity card and limited travel document produced in the United States. Like a passport booklet, the passport card is only issued to U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals.[2] The passport card was created as a result of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) which imposed more stringent documentary requirements on travelers. The passport card's intended primary purpose is to allow cardholders to cross the United States border into and out of Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel. However, it is an acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel inside the United States.[3]The U.S. passport card is considered as the de jure national identity card of the United States."

End of quote

I was responding to
[quote="This world isn']
but there's only 5 territories
[/quote]The US has sixteen territories

I was referring to these eleven

Bajo Nuevo Bank
Baker Island
Howland Island
Jarvis Island
Johnston Atoll
Kingman Reef
Midway Islands
Navassa Island
Palmyra Atoll
Serranilla Bank
Wake Island

____
Five of them are inhabited
Guam
American Samoa
Puerto Rico
Northern Mariana Islands
U.S. Virgin Islands.

rm.w/aview said:
Are you able to renew up to six months in advance of the expiration date? It's in the 60's on Sunday, Nov 26, close to 70 on Monday, 50's for the rest of the week.

Yes, I could renew 180 days before expiration, which would be now, but in Rapid City (where my mail forwarder and therefore my address is) the nights are sub-freezing. And it's only slightly better on the east side of the state.