Real ID law in Montana update

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
Montana's legislature had another vote to approve or deny Real ID.  The legislature, yet again, voted against it. We have yet another extension graciously granted to us by Homeland Security. We have more time to decide if we want to violate our Constitution and succumb to Federal overreach. In 2007, 150 members of the Legislation voted against it. A 100%, unanimous vote. That is a strong statement.

Montana is one of 10 states that have a constitutional right to privacy. “The right of individual privacy is essential to the well-being of a free society and shall not be infringed without the showing of a compelling state interest.” Do you want to spend a bit more money to live in a state the strongly respects individual privacy and other freedoms? Or are you looking for the cheapest, easiest place to live no matter the consequences?

Montana residents do not want to become part of a Federal database. Some states choose to be a part of that database, and that is their choice.

While Montana has repeatedly been guilty of taking money from the Feds for small exchanges of our freedoms, we are holding fast to denying Real ID. The States have the power, not the Feds. We (the States) made the Federal government and put in strict limitations. We just need to enforce those limitations.

It is hard to not take that money. It is hard not to be a sell out, but that is what we need to do. We need to hold onto what we believe in and what we have fought and died for. Real ID is not inevitable. We are, first, citizens of our State.

So, keep in mind that some states won't comply with Real ID. Those of us that travel should be aware of that and how that could affect those travels. It is also good to know why Real ID is denied for those of us wanting to decide what state to live in. Montana definitely isn't the friendliest to vandwellers, but there are other factors besides money to choose a state to live in.

Without getting all political, I hope this helps. Clearly, this is something I strongly believe in and feel the responsibility to share this info. This affects all of us whether or not we live in Montana.

I must say I don't know all the history of "Real ID, but every bit of information helps. Thanks for posting this. I did run into an issue with it recently. I had a chance to get my CDL by going and helping a custom harvester for a few weeks in Kansas. The problem is my residence is CO. I could have proved I was on the Kansas companies payroll, but I would have had to open a bank account, and show some mail delivery in my name at a Kansas address. It just became much more involved than it used to be. My oldest son has worked a couple seasons for this harvester, and it has really put an extra burden on his crew. Harvesters typically hire seasonal help, many from England and Ireland through an exchange program. They help the young men get their CDLs using their rigs and training. Now they all have to go to a bank and open an account, then have the bank mail a statement to the owner's home. The part that is really crazy, is the exchange program is a federally sponsored program for farmers, but then the feds have turned around and made it very difficult for the program to operate. Just opening a bank account as a foreigner is also difficult due to the other rules Homeland Security has added on that front.

masterplumber, I'm going to check out what it takes to get a CDL in Montana regarding out-of-state residency. Different states have different rules in how to acquire a CDL. It may provide some information how that affects having or not having a Real ID.

My last job I worked for an in-state, but out-of-town company. This was never a problem. All I had to do is show my paycheck to prove where I worked despite physically living 225 miles away; I didn't need to establish a bank account in that town to prove I was on their payroll. Sometimes there are weird hoops we have to jump through. It's kind of like working in the Northwest, but for a corporation based Back East. They are so far removed that what seems reasonable to them is nonsensical in the context of the Northwest. I went to buy wood pellets for a stove from Home Depot once, but they said they don't carry them during the summer. We still get snow in the summer, so it gets cold at times. But that is corporate policy- doesn't have to make sense or be in their best interest to have product, product that is necessary to survive in Montana even in the summer.