You may now need a passport

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
OK, how many of you have passports?

How many of you fly domestically?  Or at least would like to be ABLE to fly domestically, maybe in an emergency?

It turns out that starting in January of 2016, you will no longer be able to board a domestic flight unless you have picture ID that is compliant with the Federal REAL ID act.

The simple driver's licenses most of us have will no longer be accepted.  The enhanced driver's licenses that SOME- but not all - states issue will get you on. Or a valid passport will be needed.

You need to jump through a number of hoops to get REAL ID compliant ID.  Birth certificate, Social Security card, PROOF OF RESIDENCE . . .

If you don't already have it, it's gonna be a hassle.

http://truthinmedia.com/real-id-to-...passengers-to-show-national-id-before-flying/

Regards
John

I just signed up for my EDL last week. It's in the mail and I should have it in the next couple days. Meanwhile, they printed me a temporary ID on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.... yeah, they really believe that when I try to buy beer at the grocery store.

I've had a passport all my life, can't imagine being without one. Having to have "papers" was the norm when I lived in Europe, so it's not a huge shock to my system here; but I understand a lot of folks consider it an awful thing, an invasion of privacy or rights.

I have never had a passport, and will not fly on airlines until the rogue TSA is disbanded.  If I ever need a passport I can get one.

It should read Most state driver license, if not all, are compliant. Read the true story here; http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief

Noncompliant States/Territories
Am.Samoa
Louisiana
Minnesota+
New Hampshire**
New York+
+ Federal officials may continue to accept Enhanced Driver’s Licenses from these states.
** Has an expired extension and will be subject to enforcement beginning January 19, 2015

TMG51 said:
I just signed up for my EDL last week. It's in the mail and I should have it in the next couple days. Meanwhile, they printed me a temporary ID on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.... yeah, they really believe that when I try to buy beer at the grocery store.

That MAY not be enough.  I have an EDL from NY, which would allow me to cross the Canadian or Mexican border, yet it is considered a non-compliant ID as far as the REAL ID act is concerned.

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief

Regards
John

There's no reason to not have a passport. They are good for 10 years and don't cost much. It's a backup ID in case you lose your wallet or when doing something that requires a second form of identification. Do you know for a fact that you won't ever decide to visit another country on less than 2 months notice? Trying to get one on short notice can be a hassle. You used to be able to go to Canada or Mexico without a passport but if that isn't gone already it likely will be soon.

Reducto said:
There's no reason to not have a passport. They are good for 10 years and don't cost much. It's a backup ID in case you lose your wallet or when doing something that requires a second form of identification. Do you know for a fact that you won't ever decide to visit another country on less than 2 months notice? Trying to get one on short notice can be a hassle. You used to be able to go to Canada or Mexico without a passport but if that isn't gone already it likely will be soon.

Many years ago I read a book called VAGABONDING IN EUROPE where the author opined that EVERYONE should have a passport just for the peace of mind of knowing they could "Split the country on a moment's notice". :D

The issue that MAY arise for some people here is the fact that you need to provide PROOF of RESIDENCE as part of the process.

You're right, it probably won't be much of a hassle for conventional people living in sticks and bricks.

Regards
John

Queen said:
I've had a passport all my life, can't imagine being without one. Having to have "papers" was the norm when I lived in Europe, so it's not a huge shock to my system here; but I understand a lot of folks consider it an awful thing, an invasion of privacy or rights.

Just so people can see both sides of the issue:

http://www.realnightmare.org/about/1/

Regards
John

gsfish said:
My mother is getting a Florida ID today. In addition to a certified birth certificate, women here need to have documentation for every name change throughout their lives. So if a woman is on her fourth old man she will need at least four legal forms or more if she returned to he maiden name at some point.

Guy

I didn't know about the Real ID stuff so when I went to get my FL drivers license in May I was shocked by how much information they required.  They seemed perplexed by the fact that I'm married but still have my original name, that and the fact that I'm a woman and so is my wife, very confusing for those poor fellas at the DMV.  :D

BTW, this just occurred to me . . .

I had a part-time job selling guns at a local Gander Mountain for a few years, so I am thoroughly familiar with filling out and processing the paperwork for doing NICS checks.

Haven't seen anything online about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if down the road you needed REAL ID to buy a gun . . .

Regards
John

We got ours 9 years ago when they were starting to enforce it for Mexico.  We have no desire to travel "abroad" and now don't fly because of all the airport hassles/wait times.  We used to run in the front door at the terminal and go straight to the plane.  Cut it close a few times.  Man, has this country changed since I was a mere lad :(  If I cannot drive there, I ain't going.  Guess it is time to re-up ours if we are going to get prescriptions in Algodones.

Brian

Like you, I have no particular desire or need to fly.  But I can imagine circumstances - like a sudden family emergency - back home that might compel me to fly back, and I'd rather keep my options open.

Regards
John

I've been meaning to renew my Passport. I have to renew my CA DL in the next month. Eye test, thumb print and 33$, but I am dreading the DMV experience.

Not having a Valid passport has been causing a uneasy feeling in the back of my mind. I do prefer flying with that as ID instead of just a DL.

I don't find going through security all that annoying, I find waiting for everyone to retrieve their bags from the overhead and get the F out of my way after landing to be the most infuriating aspect of flying, but then again I've not had any cancellations stranding me.

Middle seats and screaming kids are much worse than going through security.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
BTW, this just occurred to me . . .

I had a part-time job selling guns at a local Gander Mountain for a few years, so I am thoroughly familiar with filling out and processing the paperwork for doing NICS checks.

Haven't seen anything online about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if down the road you needed REAL ID to buy a gun . . .

Regards
John

That would create a firestorm of protest and more from we who value the Second Amendment and be political suicide for any politicos pushing it.  It won't happen.

LeeRevell said:
That would create a firestorm of protest and more from we who value the Second Amendment and be political suicide for any politicos pushing it.  It won't happen.

Not in one step, it won't. My money says three generations from now won't be allowed to own guns at all.

Probably not table salt either.

I dislike flying, not scared, just annoyed with being patted down by the TSA and subjected to low level radiation from the scanners.

With that said I do have a passport card, passport book and a real id compliant drivers license.

Since 9-11 I've often advised on this website that every nomad should get a passport while they are still in a stix n brix while it's very easy. Long ago I wrote that the need for one would just get more dire and of course it has.

It's just going to get worse, if you don't have one now, go get it.

The machine is much too big to fight, our only hope is to duck and evade and stay below their radar and a passport is just one of the ways you do that.

One of the things I do is if I'm in a camp and a Ranger approaches me and wants to see my ID, I show him my passport. It's perfectly legal and yet it does almost nothing to help him identify me. I'm not driving so he can NOT demand a drivers license.

I consider it a passive form of protest. I even told that to a Ranger once and all he could say was "That's your right."
Bob

I live in NM with a current NM driver's license. At one point they were saying that NM dr licenses would not be accepted for flying. I really wouldn't know. Since I went thru the mess of getting a NM drivers license after my TN license expired out here, I too advocate getting a passport. It would have made my getting a driver's license much easier. It's easier to get a passport either before or shortly after dumping your stix-n-brix. That said, I still don't have one. It's not that "cheap", depending of course on your definition of "cheap". A first time adult passport requires a photo ($ unknown), $135 for the book only, $55 for the card only, $165 for both. I suspect that the passport card would be sufficient for most of us. BUT having said that, I would be more comfortable with an actual passport. I never would have thought that I would need a passport to live and travel in the US.

If you get your photo from a different location, you can download the form and take it to a post office with no appointment needed. You can even use one from your computer. (see link below)
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos/photos.html

https://www.usa.gov/passport
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/fees.html

With all the changes in todays world, I decided to get a passport card just to be on safe side, especially after I found out my original certified birth certificate is no longer acceptable since parental info is not on it, when it was acceptable just a few years ago.