Real ID drivers license and Arizona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in MN and we are not compliant either and have not yet received deferal status because it is something that our state govt has still to vote on getting it before we can get extensions, and if they dont get the deferral then I must get a passport or the special star card if i want to board a plane by 2018.

I have a question.  Does any know Is this real ID thing a mandatory process or is it something that is an either or type of situation?

Because basically I really don't care If I can fly on  plane or enter a federal building (I think I have been in one once, maybe).  I just want to be able to walk in get my permit to operate a motor vehicle (drivers license) get in my car and drive over the next mountain to see what I can see.  I dont want to have to jump through hoops to come up with some address somewhere and produce all types of documents that prove I live somewhere (I am guessing they will not accept vehicle registration).

If your post is missing, from this thread, it's probably because you quoted or responded to a post that was deleted.

cyndi said:
If your post is missing, from this thread, it's probably because you quoted or responded to a post that was deleted.

Thank you.

geogentry said:
I have a question.  Does any know Is this real ID thing a mandatory process or is it something that is an either or type of situation?

Because basically I really don't care If I can fly on  plane or enter a federal building (I think I have been in one once, maybe).  I just want to be able to walk in get my permit to operate a motor vehicle (drivers license) get in my car and drive over the next mountain to see what I can see.  I dont want to have to jump through hoops to come up with some address somewhere and produce all types of documents that prove I live somewhere (I am guessing they will not accept vehicle registration).

Well even if a few states hold out a few more years, they do have their own requirements to prevent skullduggery.

And IMO all states will be fed compliant over a few more years.

So you can maybe skate by a little while, but at some point will need to bite the bullet.

John61CT said:
Well even if a few states hold out a few more years, they do have their own requirements to prevent skullduggery.

And IMO all states will be fed compliant over a few more years.

So you can maybe skate by a little while,  but at some point will need to bite the bullet.

2020 is the deadline.

All 50 states are either already compliant, or have plans in place to become compliant.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]John61CT[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The real problem is that each state seems to have a different approach to the whole issue.  While some states just blithely just throw it out there that you MUST get a real ID with all the needed hoops to jump through other states have both the the real id and the not for travel type of id.  I have  license from a state that is in full compliance and it is one that is not good for travel.  I considered changing to another state to consolidate the whole paper work thing.  You know living in on state (officially) car registered in another.  That was what prompted my question.  Perhaps as long as things work I will leave well enough alone.  After all if it ain't broke why fix it.[/font]

I just bit the bullet and paid the money to get a passport. It is good for 10 years and is a federal ID. I still had a street address I could use so it made sense to get it before I had no legal street address to use.

Besides, I plan on heading to Mexico for some dental work this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting the card is a great backup and handy to carry, reduce the odds of losing the pa$port.

Between 12 and 23 I lost five passports around the world, the last time the consul gave me a real dressing down, said I was under suspicion of selling them to the Red Brigades or something.

Pebbles said:
I just went through all this crap earlier this year in NV. after moving out of Commiefornia. As a Veteran of 28 years service and using the exact same birth certificate that I used to join the A.F.  wasn't good enough for DMV, neither was my Govt issued Retired Military ID card wasn't good enough for them, and of course they could've cared less what state I came from. I had to spend over $150 for a passport using that same birth certificate for a passport, what a crock! DMV didn't care that they violated my 4th, 5th, and 8th amendment rights in order to get a "real ID" drivers license. Just have all your ducks in a row when you go to DMV, or be prepared to be raked over the coals and treated like a 5th class citizen. Rant off! Good Luck

That is happening to me.  Since I have elderly parents I need to be able to get on a plane at a moment's notice.  My passport I had as a teenager had long expired and I tried to get another one.  Now, the birth certificate that got me my first passport, driver's license and into the Air Force wasn't good enough. I even have a veteran's endorsement on my driver's license.   Had to pay CA $28 for a new and improved birth certificate.    Stupid thing was, I had to provide an ID to get the application for the new birth certificate notarized and that ID was gotten with the birth certificate that wasn't good enough.  We're doomed.

Traveled home to Kentucky with a regular Arizona drivers license with a P.O. Box as an address. According to Walmart Pharmacy Kentucky law states I must have a picture I.D. with my physical address to get my Claritin D due to the meth problems here. I guess I will go down the street and see if the dealer has any he has not cooked yet!

>>According to Walmart Pharmacy Kentucky law states I must have a picture I.D. with my physical address to get my Claritin D due to the meth problems here. <<

Strike another one up to the tweekers. Gotta love those rastafuckians though, not.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk