Do I no longer need the physical address once I get a DL?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Reaction score
I live and work in California, and moving away isn't going to happen for a while.  

Is the requirement for a physical address only for DL purposes, or do I need it for general citizenship and legal life on the streets?  

I might be able to find a friend who will let me use their home address, but I'm reluctant to do that, because I don't see it as their responsibility and don't like to ask too much of my friends.  I don't have any family members who can do it.  

I've read various blog posts from this site, but I'm finding it very confusing and stressful..  Most of my friends are telling me I don't need a physical address to live the nomadic life, but I don't think they know what they're talking about, not being van-dwellers themselves.  

From what I can gather, it seems I need one if applying for a DL, Real-ID, bank account, auto insurance, etc, but do I need one for renewing my DL every 5 years?  
Once I have a DL, a bank account, car insurance, etc., do I still need to prove I live somewhere to be a California resident, or only when it comes time to renew the DL or open a new account or insure a new car?  

In the last month I've been spending 5-6 nights a week sleeping in my van at work, and I really like it.  It's a little small, but I have a safe place to park that has a shower, and access to free food at work (real food from cafes).  This has me wanting to go full-time and get rid of my crummy little 8 unit apartment building and its Section-8 gang member residents.   :s

The problem is, I'm confused about what I need to pull it off and not find the DMV yanking my license or my credit union closing my accounts.  
I make my living with my commercial license, so it's important that I keep it legal.  

I'm sorry, I know this is an old question that's asked far too many times, but I'm starting to feel like I'm coming unwound with stress, anxiety, and depression.  I hate where I'm living, but I can't afford to move.  Rents in the Bay Area are INSANE, so I'm stuck here and feel mobile life is my only affordable option.  Fortunately, I like the idea of living in my van, so it's not like it's a last-ditch option I'm only doing because I have to.  

- Tim

I have a friend who is a California van dweller who for years used the address of a religious charitable organization as his mailing address (with their permission - apparently they receive mail for many homeless people). Prior to that he was using "general delivery" which you wouldn't think would work in LA county (I don't think it does anymore).

The regulations for getting a license are spelled out on each and every USA state's website. It is all online along with a phone number to call if you need to talk to a live person. It will also tell you what to bring in the way of documentation, where to go to apply, what the cost is and how long it will take to receive it.

Or you can go to the physical location, take whatever ID you have with you and talk to the person at the intake counter. They will look it over and let you know if you have enough proof with you and if not what other forms of proof you can use.

You'd save a lot of money on registration and insurance if you could establish residency somewhere other than California.

I have GEICO insurance and they want a real address for my account. The New York DMV wants one for plate renewal and state safety inspections as well. I don't know how it is in other states though.

BigT said:
I live and work in California, and moving away isn't going to happen for a while.  

Is the requirement for a physical address only for DL purposes, or do I need it for general citizenship and legal life on the streets?  
Apologies if the quote and my response float into one another. I'm not very good at this. There are only three states that do not require you to have a physical address for your driver's license, insurance, and all that stuff. These are Florida, Texas, and South Dakota. None of those three states have personal income tax either. Check out the website for Escapees.com. They have a lot of information on the subject of nomadic living. Which retired people in the US have been doing for the better part of a century. And humans in general, for a few hundred thousand years.

just remember that things people say in forums need to be double checked. For instance the information about not needing a physical address for a driver's license in Texas. If you are new to the state you do have to show proof of residence, you can't just get a mailbox address and use that for proof. https://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/residencyreqnoncdl.htm

The mail they are talking about in this list of options below needs to have a physical address for your residence on it.

Texas Residency Requirement for Driver Licenses and ID Cards

Learn more about other documents that must be presented when applying for or renewing a driver license, ID card, or commercial driver license.

To verify Texas residency, an individual must present two documents from the drop down menu below. Both documents must contain the individual's name and residential address. One of the documents must verify that the individual has lived in Texas for at least 30 days. Individuals who are surrendering a valid, unexpired driver license from another state, or applying for a commercial driver license, must still present proof of residency; however, the 30 day requirement is waived.

Individuals who are unable to provide two acceptable documents may be eligible to complete a Texas Residency Affidavit.

NOTE: A brochure listing all of the following documents is available for download.

Any of the following documents will be accepted to verify an individual's Texas residency. The two documents provided must be issued by different companies or agencies. For example, an individual may not use a water bill and an electricity bill from the same company.

NOTE: Remember, all documents presented must contain the individual's name and Texas residential address.

Current deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or a residential rental/lease agreement
Valid, unexpired Texas voter registration card
Texas motor vehicle registration or title
Texas boat registration or title
Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or License to Carry (LTC)
Utility statement (including electric, water, natural gas, satellite TV, cable TV or noncellular phone bill) dated within 90 days of the date of application
Selective Service card
Medical or health card
Current homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy or homeowner’s or renter’s insurance statement
Current automobile insurance policy or an automobile insurance statement
Texas high school, college or university report card or transcript for the current school year
W-2 or 1099 tax form from the current tax year
Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, investment account and credit card statements dated within 90 days of the date of application
Mail from a federal, state, county or city government agency, or a third-party representing a government agency dated within 90 days of the date of application
Current automobile payment booklet
Pre-printed paycheck or payment stub dated within 90 days of the date of application
Current documents issued by the U.S. military indicating residence address
Document from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice indicating the applicant's recent release or parole
Current Form DS2019, I-20 or a document issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Veteran's Health Identification Card (VHIC)
Letter of Texas residency issued by the Texas Juvenile Justice Department (TJJD)

Residency Requirement Waived

The residency requirement will be waived for individuals who are authorized to use an alternative address under the following circumstances:

Individuals subject to the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) administered by the Attorney General of Texas
Judges or spouses of judges
Active duty military personnel, their spouses, and dependents may provide a residency address outside of Texas
Individuals currently incarcerated in a Texas Department of Criminal Justice facility

NOTE: Peace officers using an alternative address must still verify their Texas residency.
Statutory Authority

37 Texas Administrative Code, Section 15.49
37 Texas Administrative Code, Section 16.7
Texas Transportation Code, Section 521.1426

Driver License & ID Card

Driver License Home
Renew
Change Address
Office Locations
Customer Service Center

All driver license
offices will be closed
Monday, Dec. 23,
and will reopen
normal business hours
Friday, Dec. 27

NOTICE: Driver Responsibility Program (Surcharge) Repeal FAQs

Howdy,

I am currently doing this in New Mexico, and agree with maki said. I remember needing to hold my mouth just right, at the right time, for everything to work. I am not confident it is totally legit. I am using a local business that sells mailboxes that are actual addresses (it isn't a PO box), but they sure don't say that you can use them for residency! I do have a REAL ID, and my insurance is at that address, too. One of my banks balked at it. The other one didn't bat an eye.

Another concern to have would be things like jury summons. If you won't be at this address, you could find out about these in an uncomfortable way. There may be other things, too. Next year is a census year. I don't know what to expect for that. I had an apt in 2010. I am close enough to my mail place that I can go there once a month and grab mail. The place will also forward mail periodically if I pay for that.

I think a long term solution for me, and possibly you, is to do as mentioned above. Use a friend/family or buy a small parcel of land. This address can be the physical, but not the mailing. Lots of folks in the west have a physical that they cannot get mail at. It isn't weird, and the govt doesn't freak out about it.

James

"a local business that sells mailboxes that are actual addresses"
These are referred to as "commercial mailboxes" (CMB). This designation appears in commercial databases used for address validations. They are not stealthy addresses. In my IT career I had come across these databases twice.
I had used such a box at a UPS store in Bridgewater, NJ in 2015, when I vacated my apt and started stealth parking. It passed the NJ DMV (not Real Id at that time), but the Somerset County Board of Elections caught it, and informed me that I would need a residential address to vote. I had no intention of lying on an official government form, and as I was going to be leaving NJ in October, I took no further action.

highest_vision said:
......There may be other things, too. Next year is a census year. I don't know what to expect for that.
James
The census does not require that you specifically be at any particular address or even a bricks and mortar structure when you fill out the form. All you have to put in is the location you are at when you fill in the census form.

wayne49 said:
"a local business that sells mailboxes that are actual addresses"
These are referred to as "commercial mailboxes" (CMB). This designation appears in commercial databases used for address validations. They are not stealthy addresses. In my IT career I had come across these databases twice.
I had used such a box at a UPS store in Bridgewater, NJ in 2015, when I vacated my apt and started stealth parking. It passed the NJ DMV (not Real Id at that time), but the Somerset County Board of Elections caught it, and informed me that I would need a residential address to vote. I had no intention of lying on an official government form, and as I was going to be leaving NJ in October, I took no further action.
That is very accurate info. This time when I went to get my car registration and my new driver's license even though I used the mailbox number in such a way that it looked like an apartment number when it got a return in the software the clerks entered into the computer it showed up on my paper work with the designation of PMB before the number of the specific mailbox at the address I gave them. Database searches are pretty powerful and quick now, they do know what businesses are located at an address and often what individuals are listed as residents at an address or are associated with the individual living at a specific address. You can run but it is getting much harder to hide :dodgy:

wayne49 said:
but the Somerset County Board of Elections caught it.
Oh ya, I forgot about that. I cannot currently vote because of this scenario. It stinks. And you are right about the designation, just as maki said, PMB.

x2 on the census. once I got counted in the middle of nowhere Oregon. highdesertranger

+
+
+

Perhaps I should have asked, "How can I get around the legal requirements so I can make this happen?"

+
+
+

It is easy and you don't even have to get around the legal requirement to obtain a local residential address. Just do a little B&E and make sure you set off an alarm and linger in the parking lot. You will then have a local residential address without having to pay rent for a closet sized space. It even comes with free meals and all utilities paid. Big bonus all the documents proving you are at that address come direct from the local government so there will be no question of verification of address or occupancy.

I forgot to mention the bonus, that free rent closet space includes a free secure parking space for you van on a guarded fenced in parking lot.

wayne49 said:
...need a residential address to vote....
Voting is important. That is a big thing to lose your ability to make history by voting. Many snowbirds stay on the voting rolls where they are from and vote absentee.   -crofter

Try to keep the addresses the same on the big three documents. Your Drivers License, Vehicle Registration and proof of vehicle insurance coverage.

BigT said:
Perhaps I should have asked, "How can I get around the legal requirements so I can make this happen?"

Simple answer - you don't. The world as we know it requires a legal residence. The federal government, banks, insurance companies etc, etc all want to know where to find you.

If you absolutely have to have your residence in a state that doesn't offer something that is more suitable for a nomadic life (Florida, Texas, South Dakota come to mind) then one has to find a workable solution. This most often is finding a friend or a relative that is comfortable helping you meet the state requirements. If that is not feasible then some other source of a legal address will have to be found.

"legal residence"

if you have a drivers license, why can't you use your drivers license as your address ( IT'S THE TRUTH ) ?!  They NEED to make some NEW laws for people that LIVE in their vehicle !!!!!   :(