You Ain't Right Club

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1shemp said:
What a crock.
Don't judge her too harshly, she was a mother of 5 kids who were so close in age that for a few years we were all teenagers at the same time while she was entering early menopause  and at the same time my father was having his own midlife crisis.  Her escape was trying to figure out if there was ever going to be any escape from that period of misery. Better a Quija board and tarot card reader than turning to alcohol, drugs, and affairs. 

She did finally come to her senses and bought a travel trailer and ran away for mini vacations all by herself. Of course as is a truism "this too shall pass" came about in a few years when all us chicks ha flown...until my sister later divorced while pregnant and being a nurse on night shift my recently freed mother was once again was raising an infant and had an adult aged child to raise up to being a parent through no fault of her own.

I did eventualy reach an age at around 30 where I could stand at a distance and see that she had lots of stressors going on while I was growing up.

I have been downsizing, throwing away a garbage can of stuff away each week. First round on my personal stuff about a year ago. Tossed, suits, formal clothing, special clothing, etc. Second round about 6 months ago. Tossed all office clothes, many sports clothing etc. So....now I need to attend a funeral of an older person. I need to dress in black and conservative. (Most of the men were wearing suits.) I purchased dress black pants at a thrift shop, but forgot the shoes. I am wondering if I made the right decision in footwear.
Which would you have chosen?

Yellow, short swim training fins
Black, full length, scuba fins along with a black wetsuit
Black road biking shoes with cleats that make walking difficult, along with black spandex shorts, mid length and full length
Mountain biking shoes full of mountain dirt
3" Black, sexy Harley motorcycle boots with red flames (have the leather coat, chaps, and vest)
Michael Kors dress boots that will only zip up half way because I gained weight
Hiking Boots
Crocs in fluorescent pink or powder blue

So, how much footwear does a women need? If I was living in a van, people would not expect much, but as a part-timer you have expectations of being normal, even if your lifestyle and mindset are that of a minimalist. I do believe after looking at my existing footwear, I may need to do some more purging :)

It was a 3 1/2 hour drive to the memorial service, and we only got there 10 minutes early, so stopping to buy some shoes was not an option. BTW, I chose the dress boots zipped up half way :)

PODebbie said:
I have been downsizing, throwing away a garbage can of stuff away each week.  First round on my personal stuff about a year ago. Tossed, suits, formal clothing, special clothing, etc.  Second round about 6 months ago.  Tossed all office clothes, many sports clothing etc.  So....now I need to attend a funeral of an older person.  I need to dress in black and conservative. (Most of the men were wearing suits.) I purchased dress black pants at a thrift shop, but forgot the shoes.  I am wondering if I made the right decision in footwear. 
Which would you have chosen? 

Yellow, short swim training fins
Black, full length, scuba fins along with a black wetsuit
Black road biking shoes with cleats that make walking difficult, along with black spandex shorts, mid length and full length
Mountain biking shoes full of mountain dirt
3" Black, sexy Harley motorcycle boots with red flames (have the leather coat, chaps, and vest)
Michael Kors dress boots that will only zip up half way because I gained weight
Hiking Boots
Crocs in fluorescent pink or powder blue

So, how much footwear does a women need?  If I was living in a van, people would not expect much, but as a part-timer you have expectations of being normal, even if your lifestyle and mindset are that of a minimalist.  I do believe after looking at my existing footwear, I may need to do some more purging :)

It was a 3 1/2 hour drive to the memorial service, and we only got there 10 minutes early, so stopping to buy some shoes was not an option.  BTW, I chose the dress boots zipped up half way :)
So how many pairs does a woman need?

The answer for me is that is I need 2 pairs of walking shoes and if the rare event such as the opera comes along I get a pair of women's flats or low heels from the thrift store that I consider disposable after the event. But as I have a EEE foot and I pronate there are only 2 brands of shoes I can get in my true size for a proper fit, Brooks or New Balance. So I have never been a woman with a closet full of shoes. That means that I did not have a shoe collection to downsize from. But I have to up size now to include some flip flops to wear in public showers.

I think I recognize John, Jim and Doug in that picture but who are the others? LOL highdesertranger

For example... a couple of weeks ago I had several YARC members arrive to camp a few days at my place. I happened to get a photo of a couple of them...

That’s gypsyjoker on the left with the pirate hat on and Georgie on the right. Georgie was sick and didn’t want to spread germs so she used the only thing she had as a mask. I got to looking and it was either a Kotex or Poise pad - for maximum amusement you choose..

0bba7af4b54461331134b24a7b026839.jpg

Yes, my camper was a bit messy. Don’t judge [emoji37]

I just found a YARC club on Facebook, who done it?? :D

mert3957 said:
What have I been missing?!
One of the fiddle players in the image is *unaccounted* for, so far. It must be you. Cammalu is queen mother of YARC camp and welcomes all newcomers. Abnorm Doug will introduce you to his cats and give you orientation. John will show you the Magic Gnome Rock. You're a natural, :). I believe there is a secret Orc cave in the nearby hills to the southeast.

Not true. I’m not the queen mother. I’m invisible and can rarely be seen in camp. I’m busy with clubs in the day and don’t go out after dark. I’m allergic to cig smoke and stay away from the campfire where there are a few smokers.

Doug is the hub of YARC Camp.

Not true. The queen mother is rarely seen, but she is really the power that be. She has her team of PR people to meet the visitors, orient them, and show them around the camp. We know how it really works. :p When you come to camp, the queen mother will be looking out the window to see if everything is ok. The PR people will glance in her direction to see if there is a secret wiggle in the curtain, or no. 

Ahh heck, I'm just makin this stuff up, cause I ain't right.

Cammalu said:
Not true. I’m not the queen mother. I’m invisible and can rarely be seen in camp. I’m busy with clubs in the day and don’t go out after dark. I’m allergic to cig smoke and stay away from the campfire where there are a few smokers.

Doug is the hub of YARC Camp.
And you do a lot more!

1) takes newcomers on the ATV to see petroglyphs, abandoned mines and other fantastic sites in the desert

2) informs newcomers what there is to do in town such as rockhounding, quilting, special events, etc.

3) picks up everyone's garbage daily and takes it to the dumpster

4) sometimes hosts happy hour

And much more.

So yea, I think of you as the camp queen!

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

moontiger said:
So yea, I think of you as the camp queen!
:thumbsup: Yeah, I just luv being right, even when I ain't right.

It’s all a lie except the part about being the garbage collector.

I have always considered professional garbage collectors and volunteer trash picker-uppers and volunteers who clean cat boxes and scoop up dog poop at animal shelters to be superior beings. So I know that the title of "Queen" is not a sufficient one. So instead I nominate you to be the camps "goddess of detritus". A goddess does not have the political obligations of a queen. Instead things are very much at your own whim of choosing when, where and what you will do to please the mere mortals who have not yet elevated themselves through selfless service to others.

Of course I can't really nominate you for anything as I have no badges of any kind. So my opinion is only worth the paper it is printed on and no one here is likely to fire up a printer to print it out which means it is worth absolutely nothing.

It's a true honor to Bend the Knee in Fealty to the acknowledged Queen Mother of YARC Camp. Kind of a catchy tune.

The only thing QM won't do for YARC camp is drive the Blue Box over to the dumping place, she makes John do that. 

Ahhh, how legends are borne. I know I ain't right, but I can't help not being right. It's not my fault, to paraphrase Blues Brother John Belushi.