YARC camp

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qxxx

Reaction score
So Cammalu, how are things at YARC camp? Has it been overrun by mobs? I imagine Doug has been sorting it all out. After all, YARC camp is out on the edge of miles and miles of open space where few ever camp. Hope it's going well.

I just got back in tonight. Only thing anyone ever sees of me in YARC Camp is the trail of dust as I leave. The rest of the time I’m sleeping or at a club meeting

Everyone is spread out all over the place. Where I’m camped there are about 20-30 of us in the immediate camp. But the whole LTVA has a huge amount of other campers and groups. You won’t be alone. There are any number of groups you can join including the HOWA caravans.

The caravans were set up to help new folks acclimatize to the life style and are an incredible resource.

I hear the rangers are cracking down on the non-self-contained vans in YARC Camp this year. WTH??? I thought The Doug had that worked out. Double Duh.

Qxxx said:
I hear the rangers are cracking down on the non-self-contained vans in YARC Camp this year. WTH??? I thought The Doug had that worked out. Double Duh.

Thanks a whole lot...…I don't KNOW you.....you might have MET me but we're not friends...…..How many user names do you have ?…….

This banter is read by many INCLUDING the BLM…….a NEW BLM ranger in a pickup truck came right up to my rig looking for Doug

Told me to tell all the vans around me...…"move to within 500 ft of a vault toilet or move out"

Port-to-lets won't cut it this year...………..

Once again.....THANK-YOU SO MUCH

Qxxx said:

Who told you that?

abnorm said:
Once again.....THANK-YOU SO MUCH
Think about it. Obviously I heard about it AFTER the ranger gave you the word, when everyone in camp already knew.

Since there are several there why don't you move to an area where there is one and camp. At the same time nicely ask if it would be possible to request one of the vault toilets be located where you were as you really don't want to crowd out the tenters and others that don't even have porta potties. Overloading the existing ones isn't going to help matters. Maybe even volunteer to help the BLM or take up a collection to help buy and donate one, but at a minimum make sure you are abiding by the rules . After all nobody is going to leave and it would be to everyone's advantage to make things work. After all I believe some Long Term Areas won't allow vans at all without 10 gallon RV systems so be grateful and work to solve the problem not be the problem.

Bullfrog, the areas with vault toilets are closer to the main entrance. Those are congested areas. Much nicer experience to go several miles further in and get away from the crowds rather than being a part of that scenario. The companies that service the portable toilets would not want to drive that far in as it would impact their profit margins as well as being rougher on their equipment due to the variable dirt road conditions. Remember that for a business time = money.

I understand and agree maki2 but after a few days of several vans full of somewhat unusual people parked within 500' circle using flashlights to get to and from the vault toilets, then sliding van doors closed when they are done. Then having Cammalu running up and down the road giving people rides I don't think there will be too many there other than the ones in vans. It is also possible that the BLM will understand this is not a good way to solve the problem and be open to solutions especially if the group is willing to help and doing their best to follow the rules as they were told to do.

bullfrog said:
 ask if it would be possible to request one of the vault toilets be located where you were
The vault toilets at La Posa South are permanent installations, concrete and such, although last winter there was a green porta-potti (that was too pathetic to use) a little ways beyond the last permanent toilet. It's the only portable toilet that I saw, and was located where the road was still in pretty good condition.

In La Posa South and Imperial Dam near Yuma, large mobs of self-contained RVs park around the vault toilets. A guy I know who was host at North last winter said they do this so they won't have to empty their black water tanks as often. A few van people will not even be noticed compared to those mobs.

I know this comment won't want to be heard, but this issue should have been worked out ahead of time before so many people came. A lot of people have been inconvenienced, most of whom probably didn't know what they were getting into, and who are now forced to move.

The 14 day areas are plentiful and nearby and do not have the restriction. It would be nice to think the vans would be treated with a warm welcome or unnoticed but I doubt it. The fact that the vault toilets will need service more often may be enough that the BLM will allow people with porta potties to use them. In most National parks they realized this and made special dump stations just for porta potties as they were much easier to deal with and encourage their use.

We all knew the rules. We had access to black tanks approved in person by the rangers.

New rangers come in. They're just doing their jobs

We move on. Missing my YARC peeps.

But long fly the YARC flag!

Attachments

• IMG_20191125_185722878~4.jpg
    IMG_20191125_185722878~4.jpg
    916 KB · Views: 9
Poop is the Achilles Heel of YARC camp, the caravans, and the van life fantasy movement in general. It's clear the BLM is starting to crack down, and they're likely getting more critical of people breaking the established rules. Otherwise everything turns into chaos, because everyone is doing whatever the hell they want to do. We as individuals have to try to create fewer problems before it all erupts in our faces.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]After all, they made it basically impossible to hold RTR on BLM land this time. [/font]Gatherings as large as 10,000 people on public lands have the potential to become another debacle like the Rainbow Family get togethers have been creating for years, as well as the problems of so many people in the desert at Burning Man.

SheketEchad said:
We move on. Missing my YARC peeps.
I hope you all get back together. You could form a 2nd YARC camp 500' towards the old YARC camp from the water station. As I recall, that area was not overrun by mobs last winter. One camp for RVs and one camp for vans. Then it would take only 5 minutes to drive between the two for get togethers and the Rangers would be satisfied. Good luck.

Somehow getting advice on a thread dedicated to the YARC , from someone of questionable pedigree does not make sense. 

Read between the lines for what I am really saying. 

:mad:

The DOUG Abides. Learn how to be The DOUG.

If yer referring to me, I'm clearly the most ain't right person around. Here think of the logic...

I made a post about the rangers kicking people out of YARC camp. Then a Ranger read this post, and within 10 minutes, he drove out to YARC camp, and kicked people out. Duh.

But if you want to blame me because people broke the rules, hell, I'm yer man, go to it.

I am splitting of all the off topic post about the YARC camp to this thread.  keep it civil.  highdesertranger

after rereading some of these I probably should delete some of them. highdesertranger