Writing as a job or hobby for vandwellers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiewriter

Reaction score
This is a thread that I split off of another thread. Writing is a great topic for us and I didn't want it to get lost in another thread, or the other thread to get lost in writing.

So this is a little confusing but it will make sense as it goes along.

I am a big fan of writing for vandwellers and think more of you should try it.
Bob

This is the part of the first post by zombiewriter that got the whole thing started:

Hi All,

I'm in the planning/dream stage of getting on the road and am trying to figure out what kind of vehicle I should start with.

About Me
I'm in my mid thirties, out of shape, and beginning to realize time marches on, and only I can make my dreams come true.

I write professionally as a (very) part-time job and have a contract for steady work. My real passion is novel writing, though. I have a zombie trilogy in progress.

One of my biggest dreams is to life full-time on the road. To travel, meet new people, see the country, get to know places I've never been, and write out of my RV.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Thanks for the input everybody! I think I am leaning toward an old RV. They're really cheap here.

Luisafernandes -- What genre do you write? if you'd like to talk about writing sometime, that would be cool.

I love to write, but lately I've gotten almost phobic -- so many negative voices in my head, so worried about people judging my writing. And I judge my writing, and that is the worst -- I'm probably meaner than any critic would ever be. I just hate when I get all tied up inside myself like this. Paralyzed.

Anyway. . .

I haven't written much yet. I did an outline for book one of my trilogy and wrote a few chapters but then scrapped the outline as it wasn't working and haven't written anything in a while. Love to continue when time permits. And as an added excuse I been waiting for scrivener for IPad/IPhone to come out so I can write my great novel.
As far as genre I'm not sure. I like different types of fiction; from archaeologic, to science, space and travel to mysteries, with a Christian point of view.
As it seems you are the most experienced and better writer, I would love to pick "your" brain on how you outline in general.
Thanks!

zombiewriter said:
Thanks! 20mpg with a Cummins sounds amazing!

But I have a could of questions when it comes to a slide in camper. If a local bear or meth-head decides to attack my vehicle, how do I get into the drivers seat? Or should I just sit there and ride it out? And what about storage space? All the slide in campers I've seen are pretty short on space.

On the plus side, though, I can find slide in campers for a couple hundred bucks if I don't mind fixing them up a bit, and I don't. I'm looking forward to renovating whatever I get.

Thanks!

For non fiction I use fairly rigid outlines (if I bother making one), but fiction, in my mind, requires a more flexible approach. I'd be happy to tell you about my own approach, but keep in mind each writer is different and what I do may not work for you. There is no one way to write and that is one of the things that make it such a rewarding (and often frustrating) calling.

I realize every writer is different but I love finding out techniques used by others, as I sometimes get bogged down in my own outlining process instead of just writing.
I like to know things like:
What software other writers use.
Do they outline in the software or on paper.
What process do they follow in outlining, or basically, how the heck do they do it?
How to keep all the timelines straight.
Sounds easy, but for someone that didn't have formal training it can become frustrating at times.
Thanks!

Luisafernandes said:
I like to know things like:
What software other writers use.
Do they outline in the software or on paper.
What process do they follow in outlining, or basically, how the heck do they do it?
How to keep all the timelines straight.
Sounds easy, but for someone that didn't have formal training it can become frustrating at times.
Thanks!

I've written a lot of nonfiction and I found being logical worked there. But on my 70th birthday, almost 2 yrs ago, I started a novel by just writing and seeing what came out. After 3 months, I knew I needed to outline, and in fact I also needed a genre if I wanted to sell. I outline now using a program called Scrivener, which has a 30 day free trial. Takes a while to learn it, but I write in it too. I keep my timelines more or less straight by keep some lists in Scrivener but now that I'm almost finished my 3rd novel in the cozy mystery series, I am going to have to go back and update the timeline when I edit this.

practically nobody has formal training!

I just read a biography of Jack London. one of Americas great writers.

He grew up extremely poor at the turn of the century and was working for 10 cents an hour packing pickles at 10 years old. He was determined to make a living with his brain and read everything he could, including the dictionary.

As a young man he devoted himself to writing 1000 words every day before noon. He did it every day of his life and it worked.

He lived an extremely wild and adventurous life and by the time he was 25 he was the most famous writer in America.

One of us could be next!!
Bob

Lovemy dogs said:
I've written a lot of nonfiction and I found being logical worked there. But on my 70th birthday, almost 2 yrs ago, I started a novel by just writing and seeing what came out. After 3 months, I knew I needed to outline, and in fact I also needed a genre if I wanted to sell. I outline now using a program called Scrivener, which has a 30 day free trial. Takes a while to learn it, but I write in it too. I keep my timelines more or less straight by keep some lists in Scrivener but now that I'm almost finished my 3rd novel in the cozy mystery series, I am going to have to go back and update the timeline when I edit this.

practically nobody has formal training!

Hi lovely!
I have Scrivener too and absolutely love it. Been patiently waiting for it to come out for the IPad/IPhone.
I think the trick to writing is to write. I've noticed that the more I write the better I get and the more I want to write. But the opposite is also true.

akrvbob said:
I just read a biography of Jack London. one of Americas great writers.

He grew up extremely poor at the turn of the century and was working for 10 cents an hour packing pickles at 10 years old. He was determined to make a living with his brain and read everything he could, including the dictionary.

As a young man he devoted himself to writing 1000 words every day before noon. He did it every day of his life and it worked.

He lived an extremely wild and adventurous life and by the time he was 25 he was the most famous writer in America.

One of us could be next!!
Bob

Bob, thanks for fixing things here.
I was going to write the following on the other thread but you got there before I had a change.

On behalf of writers everywhere I apologize for highjacking mr Zombiewriter's thread.
Having said that, Bob, look over there! See that big thingy whatchamacallit coming your way?
While Bob's busy; let me tell you...
And that as far as I got before I noticed your changes.

i compose in wordpress. that way I can write from any computer that has internet access. right now i am working on Homeless and Living In A Van, about 3 homeless people who end up living together, at http://jackearl.net/vanlife/

One of the best, cheapest and easiest way to get published is to self-publish for the Amazon Kindle. I highly recommend it!!! It has worked extremely well for me!

By far the easiest way to publish to the kindle is to write in MS WORD. It's so popular that Amazon designed it's upload software to make it very easy with Word.

In the long run, I think every writer is better off to write in MS Word.
Bob

I'm not a writer, but as an artist who wants to push his work more into doing just fine art, I take Luis' post to heart..."I think the trick to writing is to write".

so...guess I'll be spending more time painting, cause if you wanna be a painter.........

:)

Patrick46 said:
I'm not a writer, but as an artist who wants to push his work more into doing just fine art, I take Luis' post to heart..."I think the trick to writing is to write".

so...guess I'll be spending more time painting, cause if you wanna be a painter.........

:)

Hey Patrick, how about a little sample? Can you take a pick of some painting you've done and post it for us to see?
When I was younger I was a pretty good drawing and painting. If I find pictures of something I did I'll post them also!

There is a common rule floating around that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to actually master something. You can learn about it here:

http://www.wisdomgroup.com/blog/10000-hours-of-practice/

It can be applied to nearly every artistic field. Want to be a great photographer, 1) study 10,000 photos why do you like them, what's wrong with them, how did the photog do it 2) Take 10,000 photos ask the same questions.

Want to be a great writer?

1) Read 10,000 books and study them hard, what worked, what didn't
2) Write 10,000 pages, study them hard, what worked, what didn't.

I'm back to Jack London who literally did those two things and wrote at least 1000 words every day of his adult life--he actually counted the pages and wrote until he had 1000. Several of his books are classics and people will still be reading, and loving, them in 200 years.

Bob

Luisafernandes said:
Hey Patrick, how about a little sample? Can you take a pick of some painting you've done and post it for us to see?

I've got a website, but it's seriously outdated.

however, I do have a decient little portfolio of some of my newer work on a site called the "Pinhead Lounge", which is a dedicated forum for pinstripers and fans of pinstripe art.

http://www.pinheadlounge.com/Patrick46/

I 'could' put a link to my facebook profile, as I have albums of my work and my projects on there...but you guys don't need to see those pics of me wearing a pink tutu!!! :p

Patrick46 said:

however, I have a portfolio of some of my newer work on a site called the "Pinhead Lounge", which is a dedicated forum for pinstripers and fans of pinstripe art.

http://www.pinheadlounge.com/Patrick46/

I 'could' put a link to my facebook profile, as I have albums of my work and my projects on there...but you guys don't need to see those pics of me wearing a pink tutu!!! :p

Very nice work! And you look nothing like your avatar! We do have a few things in common; beards turning gray among them.

Patrick46 said:

however, I do have a decient little portfolio of some of my newer work on a site called the "Pinhead Lounge", which is a dedicated forum for pinstripers and fans of pinstripe art.

Your artwork is very nice :)

akrvbob said:
There is a common rule floating around that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to actually master something....
Bob

Like lots of other rules, this is one I break all the time. Depending on what it is, I think most of us can learn things way faster!

Zana, you're right, you can learn it in much less time.

The issue isn't learning it, it is becoming a master at it and excelling. The research (this is scientific research, not hunches) has shown very clearly that there is no substitute for the 10,000 hours if you want to be among the best at what you do.

1000 hours may let you play high school basket ball, but everyone in the NBA put in the required 10,000 hours. Michael Jordan put in the 100,000 hours to become the best of the very best.

Contrary to popular opinion, natural talent played nearly no role in becoming the very best. It was almost all simple time, practice and repetition.

That's good new for all of us. If we are willing to make the sacrifice, we can all become very, very good at something.
Bob

akrvbob said:
If we are willing to make the sacrifice, we can all become very, very good at something.

Yep!!

We've all heard the pros and master craftsmen say things like: "Why, I could teach a monkey to do this, if he only had the time & determination to learn & practice"

Most of what I do in my business I could teach anyone. There's very little actual 'talent' involved.

The 'talent' can take you beyong the norm and make you a master, once you've developed the necessary 'skills'...but much like painting a picture, writing a novel, throwing a basketball, or playing the guitar...you can learn to do most any of these 'skills' extremely well, through simple time, practice, and determination.

Think that for many things, I'm now happy with the 1,000 to 2,000 hours levels!

I've taught 8 people to groom dogs, none had done anything like it before. They all started by bathing my dogs and worked as my apprentice for a period of 6 months. 2 became excellent at the job, 4 became good groomers, they could do a basic haircut and some scissor work. 2 never got it, no matter how hard they tried. Natural talent does make a difference in some jobs.