worth it to get a butchered ProMaster?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexK90

Reaction score
Hi all,

I found this van close by.  http://www.edmunds.com/ram/promaster-cargo-van/2014/used/vin/?vin=3C6TRVCG1EE129508

The miles are super low and it drives great.  It has FWD which is supposed to be really good in snow.  It's also wide enough so I could put my bed sideways, even with insulation.  They are asking $20k for it which would be a fair price if the van was intact, but the thing is the sides are absolutely butchered.  The previous owner cut out the sides, along with part of the frame in the center, and installed some kind of windows (for what purpose I can't imagine). 

This van is not gonna sell in a hurry, so I think I have a shot at getting them to lower the price down to around $15 or $16k.  However I would have to fix the sides.  I have a friend who knows some welding, and I could possibly scour junkyards for replacement metal...but I'm not sure how much time and expense would be involved.  Plus there is an open recall on this van and I have no idea if the factory will fix it when the sides are messed up like this.

Worth it or no?  What do you think?

Well, you can do it and "Maybe" you'll regret it...I'd look at parts NOW instead of buying and looking later.

I suspect the reason the owner did this it was a "Mobile Advertising" business with cargo carrying also.

I say leave it just the way it is. Can you imagine the incredible views you'd get, waking up someplace beautiful and pulling back the curtains?
Either tint the windows or find some kind of mirrored/reflective coating so you can't see in, and cover the glass with Reflectix for insulation behind heavy drapes while you sleep.

I didn't read the details, but if that thing ever had a warranty, it sure won't now.

Personally I think I'd pass on it. As the old saying goes, "there's more fish in the sea". Find something that doesn't need so much repair.

And they want how much for it?  If you took that to your insurance company I'm thinking they would call it a total. :s

The rebadged Fiat Promaster was nothing but a litany of problems when I looked hard at them about a year ago. Loved the box. I'd steer clear, but do your homework and go in with eyes open...

Old horse drawn hearses were like that, view the body.......
Or....
If youre a kinky exhibitionist?

People who live in Glass Vans shouldn't throw rocks????

The glass would be great in cold weather for passive solar heating. Not sure how durable it is.

Check, but I think the dealers will service any recall not related to the changes. And definitely, bid lower. I'd do that anyway, but especially with the changes you'll have to make. ... I'd think about ways to take advantage of that cutout, as long as it's there. Pull out extension? <shrug>

if you ask me that looks like Plexiglas on the sides. you couldn't pay me enough money to buy a Fiat. that is my personal opinion. highdesertranger

Back in the 1960's my Dad was a social situation of some sort and there was a German Automotive engineer there.

My Dad asked him, "if I were to buy a fun inexpensive sports car what would you suggest?"

Without hesitation the German engineer said ....... "buy a FIAT ......but DO NOT keep it for more than a year for it WILL FALL APART".

In the 1970’s I worked at a FIAT dealership in Medford Oregon, that German engineer was 100% correct!

Fix
It
Again
Tony

Dave

highdesertranger said:
you couldn't pay me enough money to buy a Fiat.  that is my personal opinion.  highdesertranger

That's made by Fiat? I never had luck with Fiat either. It only took one to teach me that. I swore them off in the seventies.

How would those changes affect the van if it were in an accident? Would the whole thing just fold or telescope in the middle?

It gives me the creeps, at any price.

It would be nice to investigate why this was done.   That much alteration will no doubt affect the structural integrity of this vehicle.   Things like this are done from time to time but it limits the use of the vehicle to something like an inner city Food Truck of some sort where it may not be driven over 50 mph (as an example
of the company altering it and stating it's intended/limited purpose)

As an example of specialty vehicles,  years ago the US Post Office had these Jeeps that they auctioned off after a few years of use.   People saw them as Jeeps and thought of the great reputation they had, purchased them and were soon rolling over in them and getting hurt in them.  It made TV's "60 Minutes" program even.

maxresdefault.jpg

60 Minutes research team found out that these weren't supposed to be driven over 50 mph.  But they were equipped with 6 cylinder engines instead of 4 cylinders.  (the larger engine thought to add to useful life cycle in fleet use)  But with the larger engine it could achieve highway speeds when it suddenly got dangerous.

Kids wanted them cause they thought they would be cool and fun.  No one seemed to remember to mention when they were sold that they weren't supposed to be driven over 50 mph.  This was the big issue 60 Minutes brought up.  

So before you go investing that much money in this Van,  you may want to do some more research.  Insurance on this vehicle may also be your next big hurtle.

I own a '15 Promaster which I have converted to a camper. My wife and I have taken extensive trips in it for the past two years living in it for over two months at a time. Yes, they are front wheel drive, and mine is powered by a v-6 Pentastar engine which gets 21-23 mpg highway. They are great in snow and very smooth driving vehicles. We built a double bed across the back which is very comfortable. The factory recall I answered was to replace the ignition block. That took about .5 hours at the dealer. I have about 20k miles on it with no problems.

If I were seriously interested in buying that (which i'm def not) I'd offer about 6k for it, about what I'd guess they'd get at auction for it, which is almost certainly where it's going. Unless what was done to it has some sort of specific use that may be of use to someone else in the same business. None that I know of though. I'm guessing that's about a 10k fix if going through a body shop.