Looking to track down a van that can get 30 mpg

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanA

Reaction score
Hello all,

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm starting my search with very few, but important criteria for what I'm searching for.  First, I might as well give up on a couple of points on finding something here in the US.  That would be a diesel motor with a manual transmission.  But one criteria I'm hoping I can make is getting something that can get 30 mpg.  This would have to be with a highway average of  about 60 mph.  This I'm assuming I can hit this with something like a Ford Connect or Ram Promaster City.  I'm open to which ever can regularly achieve this 30 mpg barrier.  Obviously you have to be pretty ginger with gas pedal to do this.  I'm hoping this can be done also with pumping up the tires to max on the label too.  Any one doing this now?  Another would be to get something that has pretty good storage capacity.  In other words, get something that is considered a long wheelbase van.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Anyone have any ideas on years and makes to shot for?  [/font]

The issue is whether this is a van to drive or a van to stay in. Once you start adding things to make it so you can stay in it, MPG goes down.

You did not mention a target price, so I assume there is no limit. You just need great mileage, no matter what it costs to get that 30 mpg.

Go check out the GMC Savana with the Duramax 2.8L diesel.

Open that wallet very wide!

:p

I forgot to mention the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. It gets around 30 mpg when running down the highway on gasoline only, and a bit more if you can plug in at night or at a charging station during your daily drive.

You will not get that mpg with a promaster. I have one. Loaded or empty does not affect the mpg of around 20 max for a promaster 1500.

60 mpg highway sounds like you want a prius. But do you want to live out of a prius?
-crofter

The words “pipe dream” come to mind. I think the most fuel efficient vans are minivans and I have a DGC that can get up to 28 mpg using cruise control on the highway. I have a bedframe which isn’t very heavy and plastic containers. I do have all the seats, though they are stowed away. Even if I took the seats out, I doubt very much I would get 60 mpg on the highway.

He’s not looking for 60 mpg he is looking for 30mpg at 60 mph. Which should be doable or close to with a deisel or a small van like the caravan, Toyota, does Chevy put deisels in there vans, surely the big Ford transits, Mercedes, pro master, Fiat Ducati’s, LVD or Renault’s come with deisels they all should get pretty close to 30mpg.

Inflate your tires to 45psi......stay below 65mph....turn cruise control and AC off.

You'll get your particular vehicles best hwy mileage.

Aren't those super expensive to purchase (impossible to import to the USA) and made out of unobtainium? Plus you would need to be no more than 5' tall, as wind resistance would be difficult to overcome. No you can't find one here yet.

I was curious, so I tried to figure out how many miles at 30 MPG versus 15 MPG I'd have to drive in order to save enough on fuel to cover the higher cost of a van that could get 30+ MPG. My brain started to hurt, so I took a nap instead.

The thing is, there are many variables. A new vehicle vs. used (with how much life left in it)? Diesel vs gasoline (when diesel fuel sometimes costs more than gas, sometimes less)? Maintenance costs? Availability of parts? The general suitability/roominess/functionality/durability of the vehicle for full time living?

Here in the states it's practically impossible to get a diesel powered van. I believe they're starting to release some, but they got to be pretty dang expensive and not the type that would get 30 mpg.

I'm much better angling towards a 27-28 mpg van and being able to squeeze that last couple of of mpg by pumping the tires to the rated max and working the throttle as much as possible. There's even one Ford Transit that was rated at 29 mpg. So that's at least one van that fits what I'm looking for. Yes the weight of the van matters and I would always work at keeping things light weight.

So when it's time to get parts for these rare vehicles what do you do? It seems to me to even get a simply part in a timely manner would
cost a fortune and take forever. How much fuel could you buy for the cost of the part + shipping + time? Highdesertranger

Instead of assuming, I thought I would ask a few questions that might be helpful to understand what your goals are. Obviously MPG is important to you, but the reasoning behind it isn't clear.

What is your actual goal with this van?

You mentioned "in this country" a few times. Are you buying a van to travel on an extended vacation? I have seen a number of people do this. If so, your focus on Mileage makes a lot more sense. Resell value will be important as well. 

If not, how many miles do you plan on driving a month? And how long do you plan on having it? Total Cost of Ownership is a real thing. Spending $3000 extra for the best MPG van for $1500 in gas savings isn't really a good move.

There are other questions to ask, but I think this would be a good starting point for everyone to give you their best advice.

Get a super efficient SUV instead, and tow a small light camper.
I'm sure you will be able to get your 30 mpg half the time at least. (When you drive downhill)

Happy Camper said:
Instead of assuming, I thought I would ask a few questions that might be helpful to understand what your goals are. Obviously MPG is important to you, but the reasoning behind it isn't clear.

What is your actual goal with this van?

You mentioned "in this country" a few times. Are you buying a van to travel on an extended vacation? I have seen a number of people do this. If so, your focus on Mileage makes a lot more sense. Resell value will be important as well. 

If not, how many miles do you plan on driving a month? And how long do you plan on having it? Total Cost of Ownership is a real thing. Spending $3000 extra for the best MPG van for $1500 in gas savings isn't really a good move.

There are other questions to ask, but I think this would be a good starting point for everyone to give you their best advice.

What is your actual goal with this van? - A van that I can use for camping and traveling.  It would be my main wheels, so it would be nice to do "city" things.  Easy on gas and moving about. 

If not, how many miles do you plan on driving a month? And how long do you plan on having it? Total Cost of Ownership is a real thing. Spending $3000 extra for the best MPG van for $1500 in gas savings isn't really a good move. - My vehicle use has always been limited, this is more from personal preference.  I've always had an average of something way below 500 mi / month.  I like riding my bicycle when possible.  Even with a small van, I'll make it work with a bike tagging along.  I am always looking to save a buck, so your argument above makes sense.  

Sorry for taking so long to answer you here.  I'm not getting notices of posts.  I'll have to see what needs to be changed.  Thanks for your posts and also everyone else's.