Worth it to convert a horse trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodandi

Reaction score
I've been thinking about converting an old horse trailer, but it's really really small. I haven't taken exact measurements, but it's about big enough for a bed and that's it. I would really like to have a cool trailer conversion of some sort, but I don't know if it's going to be worth all the effort. It's a real project and then all the extra effort and gas money to haul around a horse trailer just for the convenience of having a bed instead of sleeping in the back of my SUV? If it was bigger I would be more willing to deal with the annoyance of dragging a trailer around, but I just don't if it's worth the hassle of converting a tiny little horse trailer. Has anyone done anything like this? If I did fix it up and make a nice little living space would a bumper pull horse trailer have any retail value?

You are the only person who can answer the question if the effort is worth it.

If you really want to fix up a little horse trailer then do so if it makes sense for meeting your needs. But don't take it on unless you are going to have fun doing the project. Some of use love working on projects, others find it a real drag.

As to value you won't know unless you can find some direct comparisons. It is no different than valuing a house or a car, you need to find comparable sales to know what its value on the market will be.

Something to consider with stock trailers is corrosion. The critters they haul dispense waster matter that is often not removed in a timely manner. While many may think of the smell, I have seen what this does to the bottom portion of these machines. Make sure you have good bones! If so, and it is a good deal, it could be worth it. The trailer could probably be returned to stock use. Lots of value either way!

looking at some threads about converting a horse trailer I noted two important things to consider.

Even the small ones are extremely heavy as they are made to haul a heavy load and of course they have to resist those flying hooves trying to kick their way out and the bucking bronco types.

The second issue is horse pee is very corrosive, it will destroy wood floors and damage the steel frame as well.

Sometimes a bargain is not a bargain. You are likely better off with a cargo trailer as it will be lighter in weight which cold help save you gas money and wear and tear on your brakes.

I have a mid-70s 2-horse trailer and, like you, considered converting it. But as mentioned above, it is very heavy, about 2500 lbs. It's also fairly small for all that weight. So, I fixed it up (new tires, bearings, etc.) and am selling it. I purchased a 7x16 cargo trailer to convert. It will be a little big for some boondocking areas, but still a few hundred pounds lighter than my old horse trailer. A comparable sized cargo trailer (6x10) would be around half the weight.

as has been mentioned stock trailers are heavy for there size. they are also narrow as the wheels sit outside the box. the urine will destroy any floor if the maintenance has been lax. they also sit very low to the ground. highdesertranger

Good points everyone. Technically it isn't mine yet. It was abandoned on the property where I'm staying for the winter, and I have no idea how long ago anyone lived on this property with horses. I thought it would be a fun project, but yeah. I think definitely too much work and too much weight. I would need to hire someone to do some of the welding work because my skills aren't so great. My art school friends are trying to convince me it would be fun, but I'm really more interested in having a practical thing to live in than an art project that I drag around behind my car!

There are aluminum stock trailers that include living quarters. The animal area could also be used to house your steel steed, but much sturdier than a toy hauler.    -crofter

We ran into an elderly couple living in a micro horse trailer (think it was like 14 feet) and it was absolutely beautiful! For sure, you can do up a small trailer of any kind. My wife had lived in the back of a Saturn SC with tons of room (she's fairly tall). When I think of that Saturn I am always convinced one can live in almost anything.