Women's Forum - getting fit!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah... I've mostly done that. I do have to give in every now and then, but I've been mostly sugar and bread free for that year. Cutting sugar was the difference between walking and not walking, actually, so when I do give in, it's painful!! That doesn't seem to stop me though. Ha!

AL - have you got access to a bike? Might take some of the painful edge off?

Wow... it's been 20 years or better since I've been on a bike... does one really never forget? My daughter has a bike that she rarely rides... yes, I could borrow it!! Hmmm... damn practical advice LOL

I will be at her house a few times this week, so I'll see if I can even get on it. That could actually work to keep my back from hurting so much... I'll let you know how that works out!

That would be great to ride and get things moving! I'm really anxious to get my new bike too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope it works out, I know the pressure on my leg from walking makes me hobble around like I'm a hundred, but riding my bike is no pressure and I can go much further.

Cammalu said:
What happened to your leg Queen?

Tore a meniscus in high school and had my first knee surgery in 1974, got hurt when I was a firefighter on a fire when a section of building decided to blow up, and that started the next round (of four additional) surgeries.  So after five surgeries on my right knee it was kinda junk.  They did the full replacement 2.5 years ago but I have so much scar tissue I didn't have a good result (my knee won't straighten or fully extend).  It doesn't hurt as much as it did before the replacement, but I limp all the time now so it's awkward and uncomfortable.

Ouch! I'll bet swimming DOES feel good!!!

I lost 40 pounds several years ago by giving up sugar and exercising. Those two, sugar and exercise, really work. But it slowly creeped back and I just am not losing it like I did that one time.
I notice when I'm camping I walk 10,000 to 12,000 steps just piddling around camp, walking to the bathroom. I have hope when I'm on the road I will lose weight just by not being in the house and out moving around doing camp chores.

I think that's it Waldenbound, we think our daily lives are more active than they are (we're definitely busy though). I finally figured out exhaustion from daily life does not equal fitness.

Okay, I knew I overdid it on Sunday, I was all pumped up and excited so I did some extra kicking laps and some in-water stretching of my bum leg... I've been so uncomfortable! Yesterday was kinda miserable with it all swollen up and hot, today is better.

So, lesson learned, I ain't 25 anymore, go, but don't go all out. The spirit is willing but the flesh is old and wrinkly. :p

Queen said:
Cammalu - that bike looks sweet!  Hope it gets you out and about, and you enjoy it.

I cannot wait to get back to FL so I can ride my bike with it's adapter.  Like SG said, it's really too windy here (illinois), and the allergies are awful, so no bike riding.

Love this quote btw!

Queen,

No busting ass! We aren't young! I start physical therapy today for the gazillionth time. They have a sitting down elliptical machine in there that I like. They'll let me use it as long as I want which is my whole session. I still have a long way to go.

I have to have both my knees replaced Queen [emoji31]. Not really looking forward to it! First one will be in October.

Cammalu, we sure aren't kids anymore!!  But overall I think we do okay, we're not sitting like lumps 24/7, and we're still planning adventures! :D  Glad you get to use the seated elliptical, I had one at the house before we downsized, it was wonderful.

Can't remember if I shared this or not, but there's a forum called Bone Smart that has loads of helpful info about the joint replacement process, and some very nice people to talk you off the ledge as you're going through it.  Wish I'd found them beforehand.

I am familiar with forgetting that I am not 25 anymore, but for the two weeks following that lapse of memory, I am reminded of it. I had in my head that if I just powered through it that I could build up stamina, yeah, that didn't work. I know if I take off 15 lbs, it will be a real asset to me as my frame and joint issues cannot support the extra weight.

Cammalu: I know someone who had his knees replaced, and he felt so much better both physically and mentally having it resolved. You have my sympathy though. This was an older man in his 70s and he recovered easily without issues and so glad the pain he was having was gone.

Queen: I can feel your pain. It is frustrating for the mind to be willing, and the body to just say "We aren't 25 anymore." Hope you are feeling better soon.

Queen, thanks for the bone link I'll check it out. I got to counting the other day and I've had over 16 bone breaks that I can think of. It's no wonder I'm not always feeling so hot! I don't have weak or brittle bones - just bad luck! Since I've all but quit sugar and gluten Ive noticed a huge difference in inflammation.

Snow Gypsy,

I've picked the very best Doctor I could find for my knees. He has a long waiting list but I have seen so many surgeries gone wrong (including my own - have an ongoing lawsuit) that I don't mind waiting. I can't have the knees done until the broken femur heals anyway. I wish I could just get it over with now!

And your femur is healing well, Cammalu?

I had a tooth removed yesterday morning and mostly just slept 2 days away... I'm going to get off my butt today, get some things done, and restart a diet called "Trim Healthy Mama". I had a HUGE smoothie last night because I wasn't able to chew well, and will make sure I have a couple of smoothies today. Taking prednisone is like having an ulcer where the stomach just screams until you feed it, but with y'all's support, I'm going to try like hell to ignore it!!!!! I can do this! I NEED to do this!!

Bye bye sugar. Bye bye bread. :)

Yeah, the femur is doing VERY well this time. The last operation was a total flop but now I'm good!

Tooth pulled. OUCH!!!!

I make a savory green smoothie that is so danged good I could eat it every day! Love those things.

Hope your tooth (actually lack of) feels better asap, AL!

Latest posts