Women Only: Well I did it!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebC

Reaction score
I finally bought my RV!!  I’ve been a member here for over 2 years I think and have been planning, asking questions and gathering info.

I looked at Roadtreks but I felt too claustrophobic in them...I moved onto to a wide body Pleasure Way and found my match.  I bought a 2002 PW Excel TD already equipped with solar.  I don’t pick it up until the end of Oct.

So...do any of you have this type of rig?  If so, please share your thoughts with me - likes and dislikes.

I would really like to attend the RTR, but I’m just not sure I can get all my little duckies in a row by then.   Since I live in the mid west I’m sure I need to winterize it for November and December?   I’ve got so much to learn!

I have camped many times, but was married during those times so he took care of the tank dumping, hot water heater lighting, etc.  I know I can do this, it’s just a bit overwhelming (but exciting!) at the moment.

Excuse my rambling...I don’t have any friends who share this desire so that’s what I’m posting here.  I will start part time in the beginning.  Is it crazy to try and start this little journey in January?  Right now I am planning on retiring in January  - I meet with SS at the end of October.

This is probably my most disjointed post ever!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Deb

Congratulations! I'm happy to hear you've finally been able to buy a RV you like. I'm also without one - really, I've been trying to decide between a used RV and a much newer van, and I think the van is winning out. I won't make my purchase until next year, after the RTR. I'll be going to RTR in a car with a tent.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your good news. Are you planning to do any renovations before starting out?

Pleasure Way is a great rig. Everyone I meet who has one really enjoys theirs. I have had two Roadtreks and aside from being perpetually in the shop, they are great, but as you say, they are dark and claustrophobic in the back. I went with a truck+5th wheel and it's great for roominess but very cumbersome. Hope I get used to it....

Take care and enjoy!

The Dire Wolfess

Congrats on retirement and hitting the road to rv again!!

I am the same. My hubby does it all also on our rv but I watched well over the years. I could do it all if needed. You will learn it all also, it truly isn't hard :) heck if our hubby's learned it...well...you know HAHA
We upsized many times and ended with a monster toyhauler 5th wheel. OMG we are now downsizing and loving it. Smaller the better. We had our 'big' times and now we want less and less for our travel. Hope you enjoy your new rig to the fullest! Our new motto is less is more and it sure suits us.

travelaround said:
Anyhow, thanks for sharing your good news. Are you planning to do any renovations before starting out?
No...no renovations just yet. :).

Moxadox said:
Pleasure Way is a great rig.  Everyone I meet who has one really enjoys theirs.  I have had two Roadtreks and aside from being perpetually in the shop, they are great, but as you say, they are dark and claustrophobic in the back.  I went with a truck+5th wheel and it's great for roominess but very cumbersome.  Hope I get used to it....

Take care and enjoy!

The Dire Wolfess
I had our fifth wheel offered to me at the divorce, but I felt totally unqualified to tow, etc.  A 5th wheel must seem huge after a Roadtrek!

DebC, I am completely overwhelmed with this rig. In the 90s I towed all sorts of huge horse trailers and farm equipment, but I think I've used up a few lives since then....I do appreciate being able to move around freely, have a real bed, an actual shower, etc, but I dunno.....looking forward to getting back to AZ to the desert. That will be the proof in the pudding, whether I really enjoy just sitting and not having to tow this monster.

The Dire Wolfess

Hi Deb!
HUGE Congrats.  I sent you a Private Message so that you can contact me for info on the Excel TD.
You will love it!

Moxadox said:
DebC, I am completely overwhelmed with this rig.  In the 90s I towed all sorts of huge horse trailers and farm equipment, but I think I've used up a few lives since then....I do appreciate being able to move around freely, have a real bed, an actual shower, etc, but I dunno.....looking forward to getting back to AZ to the desert.  That will be the proof in the pudding, whether I really enjoy just sitting and not having to tow this monster.

The Dire Wolfess
I so understand.  I’m sure you will enjoy it so much after it is parked!  
As my son who drives double trailer semis tells me....just keep it between the lines!  ;)

Hi Deb,

Congratulations on your rig:)

I'm in the midwest, too (Illinois). I just got my pickup truck last week. Now I'm looking for a topper so I can start camping regionally. My ducks are not in a row yet, either. In the spring, if I like the lifestyle enough, I may buy a full size camper for the truck.

Anyway, if you are near Illinois and want to try dispersed camping a little south (away from ice & snow), give me a shout.

Cheers.

HCarla618 said:
Hi Deb,

Congratulations on your rig:)

I'm in the midwest, too (Illinois). I just got my pickup truck last week. Now I'm looking for a topper so I can start camping regionally. My ducks are not in a row yet, either. In the spring, if I like the lifestyle enough, I may buy a full size camper for the truck.

Anyway, if you are near Illinois and want to try dispersed camping a little south (away from ice & snow), give me a shout.

Cheers.

Thanks for reaching out to me!  If I’m still in the area during the Spring I’d love to do some dispersed camping..I’m in Indiana.  I’ll keep you posted as this all unfolds.  I am so hoping I can get to the WRTR and RTR though.

DebC said:
Thanks for reaching out to me!  If I’m still in the area during the Spring I’d love to do some dispersed camping..I’m in Indiana.  I’ll keep you posted as this all unfolds.  I am so hoping I can get to the WRTR and RTR though.

Thanks, Deb. I'll try to add you here as a buddy. Not sure how that works.

I want to attend WRTR and RTR, too. I doubt I'll have the money, after the holidays, but maybe:)