Women Only: Safety on the road - sexual assault

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removing it won't stop me from avoiding this guy tho.. Just in case.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

He's the one. Dean is there and was there when they called the guy out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be no process of law. Nobody is pressing charges and he apologized to all the women involved and it satisfied them evidently.

He lucked out big time. Could have been killed.

Sadly, if he had done that to me he would definitely need an ambulance, and maybe an undertaker. I know it sounds like a "minor" offense for such a response; but waking me up out of a dead sleep like that wouldn't leave room for a rational response! So, back to my original plan: camp far away from a drunken party. And hope that works.

This next bit may need to be moved to another topic: On another note, but still under the heading of safety, I need to find friends to "convoy" with. I'm not afraid to travel alone, but my kids are starting to freak out about my going, and having a network will hopefully ease their anxiety. Starting toward RTR around late December from south central NC. Planning to camp National Forest in GA, possibly FL and head west on Interstate10. Haven't mapped out a set-in-stone route, so picking up with co-travelers anywhere south and west of NC would be doable. Anyone else going that way?? Thx!

bigsallysmom said:
Are you talking about what happened at the build?  Bob and the RTR has nothing to do with the build.

You don't think this guy is going to the RTR?

Crystal Vanner did a live chat this afternoon in which she was asked for an update on the incident.  She starts to address it at 56:34 in the video, pauses for a couple of minutes, then continues at 59:00:  

This is a very disturbing situation.

Justacar simply asked if that was the Jake in question. I don't see how that's libelous.

Linda Cripple-Creek said:
   This next bit may need to be moved to another topic:     On another note, but still under the heading of safety, I need to find friends to "convoy" with. I'm not afraid to travel alone, but my kids are starting to freak out about my going, and having a network will hopefully ease their anxiety.  Starting toward RTR around late December from south central NC. Planning to camp National Forest in GA, possibly FL and head west on Interstate10. Haven't mapped out a set-in-stone route, so picking up with co-travelers anywhere south and west of NC would be doable. Anyone else going that way?? Thx!

I use an app on my phone called LocSMS to let my kids know each night where I'm parked for the night. It uses the GPS in my phone and then I can send it to whomever I choose.

Mine know better than to freak out but that doesn't mean that they don't feel better when they know where their mother is.... :D :rolleyes:

It annoys the snot out of me that I have to report in to them but if it keeps them happy then I'll do it! Sheesh, you'd think I was a damned teenager the way I have to check in with them ...sigh!

Not to do with travel but I just had a silly conversation with my older son the other day - it went like this -

"Mom, you know we have grizzlies in BC don't you?"

"Yes, son, I'm aware that we have grizzly bears in BC!"

"Mom, they're not like black bears you're used to in Ontario although we have black bears here too"

"Yes, son, I passed the  bear identification test with a score of 100% I know the difference....lol"

"Ok, so you don't go hiking alone in the bush do you? What test is that Mom?"

"No son, and I'm equipped with bear bangers, an air horn and bear spray..will you relax...sigh I preach bear safety all the time you know"

heron: Oh, I don't think it would be libelous either, especially if he was actually the guy. But, without having made a police report, it could leave the door open for the guy to make all kinds of trouble, regardless of his guilt. As for me, if i were in Crystal's shoes, i would find myself registering a legal complaint against him. But, as she says, every woman has to decide for herself how she will handle something like this.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

You know what's sad?  when women feel like they can't talk about sexual assault or vlog about it because of the worry
of being made to blame, it didn't really happen or any other negative that could come from voicing it.

I'm not going to post links here. Not that I'm worried about moderators but because you can find the info yourselves.

What happened to crystal is far from over, I'll tell you that much!  She is suffering many fools right now.

Ladies, don't ever feel like you cannot say, in any media.. what has happened to you whether it was from the past
or going on currently.  This is a women's thread. Voice yourselves!

Sadly, if he had done that to me he would definitely need an ambulance, and maybe an undertaker. I know it sounds like a "minor" offense for such a response; but waking me up out of a dead sleep like that wouldn't leave room for a rational response! So, back to my original plan: camp far away from a drunken party. And hope that works.

This next bit may need to be moved to another topic:     On another note, but still under the heading of safety, I need to find friends to "convoy" with. I'm not afraid to travel alone, but my kids are starting to freak out about my going, and having a network will hopefully ease their anxiety.  Starting toward RTR around late December from south central NC. Planning to camp National Forest in GA, possibly FL and head west on Interstate10. Haven't mapped out a set-in-stone route, so picking up with co-travelers anywhere south and west of NC would be doable. Anyone else going that way?? Thx!

Hi Linda

I totally would have done the same thing if I found someone in my "home" in the middle of the night. Zero excuse for this behavior and I find it abhorrent that the perp wasn't made to leave the camp. What's up with that?!

Also, I'm actually in the Phx area but heading toward Quartzite the end of December (then to Glamis dunes (about 70 miles west and south of Quartzite) with my kids).  I'll be taking my kids back to Phx after the new year then heading to the RTR.  If you're passing through when we're heading west, we can caravan then I'll meet up with you at the RTR after the new year.  I've got a Class C (so I drive slooowly if that works for you).

bigsallysmom said:
Cindi.  I'm going to disagree with you on keeping van doors closed and locked. I'm not going places so I can stay in my van. Part of the fun is opening the van to the outdoors. An open door is NOT an invitation to being assaulted and it never will be.

Gotta agree with you there, sally.  I'm in a Class C and can lock my door (and do) but many I camp with SUV/Car camp and set up a tent.  Do they have to put a lock on their tent because a drunk a**hole can't control himself or has some abhorrent sense of entitlement?!

I understand that a few people that were at the event went on instagram and did some kind of parody of what happened. People are awful. Blame the victim as usual.

Cammalu said:
"I understand that a few people that were at the event went on instagram and did some kind of parody of what happened."

Camm,
Were those few "people" male?  I would be doubly disturbed if other women did such a thing. :s

Charlotte

"...if he had done that to me he would definitely need an ambulance, and maybe an undertaker. I know it sounds like a "minor" offense for such a response..."
Linda, stick to your guns.
It does  *not* sound like a "minor" offense to me!  
Ambulance or undertaker, appropriate outcome.
angry.gif

!Ya basta!
Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
Camm,
Were those few "people" male?  I would be doubly disturbed if other women did such a thing. :s

Charlotte

cha cha  :D looks like your PMs are turned off.  I'll answer that quickly, YES women and men were involved.

her last 3 videos explain the whole thing.

JustACarSoFar said:
cha cha  :D looks like your PMs are turned off.  I'll answer that quickly, YES women and men were involved.

her last 3 videos explain the whole thing.

Yep a woman (but not a lady)...and she was arrested for assaulting Crystal...at a very popular coffee spot.  Do these people think they're still in high school??  What possessed them to use social media to mock someone because she called out inappropriate behavior?  Pretty sure immature high schoolers pull this kinda stunt.  Will these people be at RTR?  This will be my first and I'm hoping for a fun, educational, peaceful experience.  Bob I'm sure won't allow these shenanigans.

I hope no one thinks that I'm in any way excusing the behavior of the guy that assaulted Crystal. I just want confirmation from someone directly involved before I point fingers in public.

Also, I think it's a shame that were not safe anymore. I sleep with my doors closed and locked. And I have a dog that at least sounds threatening if someone approaches my van.

If I didn't have a vehicle and was by myself, I might sleep in a tent in a campground. I wouldn't out in the desert. Or anywhere, for that matter. And yeah, it's a damn shame. 20 or 30 years ago I didn't think twice about sleeping under the stars.

Cyndi, you can PM DeanandBuster. He was there. If you want his phone number I'll give that to you also. He has seen the video of Jake and was there at the meeting when Crystal called him out for what he did. He has confirmed they are one and the same guy.

It seems that Jake is now telling people he never did that and didn't touch Crystal. This is after THREE women said he did and after he hid out in his rig for a few days and after he apologized to each one of them...

Yeah right. Blame the victim. Now she's having to take all kinds of shit from men and women about this.