Women Only: Opinions please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebC

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking at a 1999 Coachman Class B this afternoon and it is at a dealership.  

Do any of you own one of these?  If so would you share the pros and cons?

Also, I’ve always heard ‘never go to a dealer’ always buy from a private owner.  But honestly, I don’t know if that’s the way to go or not.  I know I won’t pay their asking price, but with Class Bs these days it seems to be a seller’s market.  

I’m not a very good negotiator, but I’m very good at walking away. :)

Please feel free to post your experiences and any advice.

Thanks,
Deb

Never had a Real Class B. More a Class B minus. Porta potty, no shower but water, sink, bed, furnace, 3 way frig, microwave, extra battery.

What make? Ford, Chevy? Engine... mechanics important.

Don’t know if they put on ton chassis, that would be best iMO, 3/4 you will have to watch how much weight they have put in vehicle before you add water, fuel, you and your stuff. Most RV manufacturers overload a vehicle out the factory door making the vehicle unsafe. The door frame should have info on weights. Ask the dealer to explain and see if they know or are BS you.
If overloaded or could have been in previous life you are looking at rebuilding front end, steering, shocks all around. Does this thing have anti sway bars?

I don’t trust any tires on a used vehicle so you are looking at 6 very expensive tires. If new all around or esp if just on front are they covering front end issues.

Won’t make a detailed list of things to check on a vehicle, that would be a book. Take to someplace like a LES Schwab if you are in the West for a free brake, front end, battery check.

The other thing with used RV is water leaks that ruin the floor. Soft spots by bath and kitchen. Nearly impossible to fix, IMO, well certainly by me.

Even if you hate the thing on sight, make them show you everything, how the black and gray stuff works. How to test the toilet works. Get a good education for the next time. It’s a Wednesday they have nothing else to do, make them work.

This is the slowing time for selling RVs, unlikely to be flying off the lot.

I, too, worry about buying from a private party but more for the lack of warranty and not knowing what past problems may have occurred mechanically speaking. Even with a 'check', my thinking is at least a new vehicle is covered. Then, again, also more expensive. It's a conumdrum

Thank you both for your replies. It turned out that I didn’t get to go today so will look at it on Saturday.

It has a Chevy V8 5.9...whatever that means. :)

I’ve had GMC/Chevy vans with 5.7L (liter) engines and now learning newer ones ? 2006+ can be 4.something, 5.3 or 6.0

The 5.7s (also called 350 cubic inch) are said to be long livers, tranny’s more likely to go first. You might find more info on the general van or truck forums here and even search’s online for info on the engine in any given van.

From what I’ve heard from chevy owners the 434 engine (don’t know liter size) had more problems than the 350/5.7. Big powerful engine but often the heat it produced lead to an early death and because of size hard to work on. -Yet a Chevy friend who years ago told me about the 434 issues and ‘loves’ my 5.7 votex Chevy engine was chatting today positively about a Cadillac with a 434. I didn’t question.

Learn a lot Saturday.

I would trust a dealer.  When I bought my car last year I used enterprise car rental sales.  The thing I would look out for is some states allow cars flooded in storms to not disclose that.  You could have engine and electrical problems forever.  There is a lot of information on the web listing states and how to avoid one of the cars.  Otherwise I don’t think a private owner will be as honest than a dealer   

Enterprise even has cargo vans for sale.  Wish I heard about nomad life before I bought my car.